• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Firmament

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Finally, Firmament is here. And I already have an issue. When the developers of games will realize that there are left-handed people that like to play games? I don’t use w,a,s,d keys to move my character, I like to use the arrow keys while I use the mouse to interact in game. Does anyone know how to change the keybinding for this game?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

A controller for left-handed people? I’m right-handed but I sometimes prefer the arrow keys to wasd, so I’m surprised at Cyan.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Karlok - 19 May 2023 05:54 AM

A controller for left-handed people? I’m right-handed but I sometimes prefer the arrow keys to wasd, so I’m surprised at Cyan.

Yes, Karlok, I’m surprise that they don’t give the player the hability to change the keys.Don´t know if that has something to do with the Unreal engine or not.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

UruBoo - 18 May 2023 03:13 PM

I don’t use w,a,s,d keys to move my character, I like to use the arrow keys while I use the mouse to interact in game. Does anyone know how to change the keybinding for this game?

No idea about that game, but you can change your universal key settings on the OS level. If not directly in the OS, then adding some middleware that interprets the key inputs and translates them to the game/computer.

Depending on how the game is programmed, these general Unreal Engine instructions may or may not help:
https://nerivec.github.io/old-ue4-wiki/pages/list-of-keygamepad-input-names.html

If not, change something on the OS level.
That should always work.

Also, it’s not a bad idea to step out of your comfort zone every now and then, and learn new control schemes. It’s painful for a while, but soon the controls start to become clear by instinct.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 20 May 2023 07:07 AM

Also, it’s not a bad idea to step out of your comfort zone every now and then, and learn new control schemes. It’s painful for a while, but soon the controls start to become clear by instinct.

He’s left-handed. That’s not the same as a “comfort zone”. My mother was left-handed and in her days children were still forced to learn to write with the right hand, which was more than a little painful.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Thanks, Karlok, for the support. It is really painful to play as a right-handed on the keyboard. What I don’t get it is that Cyan, in other games, enabled the ability to change the keys in game. I think they don’t have any left-handed employers in house Wink .

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I learned touch typing many years ago, so wasd is no problem for my left hand. But using the mouse is a big problem. I imagine that must also be true for your right hand.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 20 May 2023 08:06 AM

He’s left-handed. That’s not the same as a “comfort zone”.

Point-and-click games are very special in the sense that you can use one hand (in most cases) to play and control the game.

Most other genres require using both hands. Then it’s really a matter of habits, nothing more than that. Learning a different set of controls hurts brains, not hands.

One could even argue that the classic gamepad design is for the left-handed, because the keys you use the most (digital direction buttons) are for the left hand, and the less used action keys are for the right hand. Obviously newer controllers with analogue sticks for both hands are different.

Anyway, the classic example of habits is arcade-style flying games.
When you push the joystick forward, is the plane supposed to go up or down?
Would you rather change the setup, or learn to play with reversed method, if the default is not what you are familiar with?

Karlok - 20 May 2023 08:06 AM

My mother was left-handed and in her days children were still forced to learn to write with the right hand, which was more than a little painful.

Yes, they used to do that.
There were pragmatic reasons for that though.

Assuming that the text is written from left to right, then when you write using right hand, you are always moving away from the text.
Writing with left hand, however, you are writing in an area where your hand is going to move next, which in the days of good old ink bottles could cause a real mess.

Obviously after ballpoint pens became commonplace this problem became very rare.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Well, enough of this argument. But the point is why not let the player decide which keys do what in the game? I’m pretty sure that having that option in the game is not a big problem and sure doesn’t cost a penny to implement.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Anyone playing it yet? Opinions?

I’m looking at some reviews and they seem split. The more negative ones complain about it belonging in the 90s which means I can happily ignore everything else in the review, but even the more positive ones aren’t completely won over.

I was expecting it to be either a masterpiece or a disappointment. Seems like it might be somewhere in between.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2022-07-03

PM

UruBoo - 18 May 2023 03:13 PM

Finally, Firmament is here. And I already have an issue. When the developers of games will realize that there are left-handed people that like to play games? I don’t use w,a,s,d keys to move my character, I like to use the arrow keys while I use the mouse to interact in game. Does anyone know how to change the keybinding for this game?

would pinnacle or xpadder be of anyy use remapping controls.the only issue would be input lag.ive only done it to a pad so i couldnt say how M&K would work or how to go about it.i played the old Beyond Good and Evil where the controls invert for end boss so i have a slight understanding of how awkward it is,though i cant imagine a full playthrough.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Era of this kind of games long gone.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-11-11

PM

Did you find a solution for this?
I’ve never tried it myself, but I’m fairly sure that keyboard remapping software exists that should allow you to change key bindings universally, and you would be able to set up a profile for the game.

Sympathies from a fellow lefty!

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Charophycean - 01 June 2023 06:45 PM

Anyone playing it yet? Opinions?

I’m looking at some reviews and they seem split. The more negative ones complain about it belonging in the 90s which means I can happily ignore everything else in the review, but even the more positive ones aren’t completely won over.

I was expecting it to be either a masterpiece or a disappointment. Seems like it might be somewhere in between.

My not very old PC doesn’t meet even the minimum requirements for RAM. Will probably be some time before I get to play it. Disappointing.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Veovis - 20 June 2023 01:15 AM

My not very old PC doesn’t meet even the minimum requirements for RAM. Will probably be some time before I get to play it. Disappointing.

Don’t worry about your ram too much. If your graphics card is at least a Geforce 1060 you should be able to play it on medium settings. If you want the VR experience, you’ll need that ram and better video card.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

SpeedBo - 20 June 2023 11:30 AM
Veovis - 20 June 2023 01:15 AM

Don’t worry about your ram too much. If your graphics card is at least a Geforce 1060 you should be able to play it on medium settings. If you want the VR experience, you’ll need that ram and better video card.

Thanks, I’ve played Firmament for almost an hour and it runs fine and looks good on my PC with 8 GB ram and a GTX 1660 Ti card. Wonder why they put 16 GB ram as a minimum requirement? Surely can’t help sales (I backed it on KS).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top