• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Upcoming adventure games you’re REALLY excited about

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

I think Abscission looks pretty cool. “It is a Lovecraftian, story-driven horror point-and-click investigation game. It involves searching crime scenes for evidence, combining clues and questioning suspects. Puzzles can have multiple solutions as you guide the protagonist - Detective Will Stanhope - through the story.”

Video might be NSFW as some people might consider some of the things in the video disturbing.

Phoenix Springs also looks interesting. It has a pretty unique style and I like the user interface in the game.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’m personally fed up with Lovecraft. Every 2nd game announced seems to be “Lovecraftian”.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Abscission is definitely on my list!
We talked about Phoenix Springs here a bit (in the demo thread, plus it has its own) - I’m really looking forward to this game, others don’t seem to be as excited Grin

I feel the opposite when it comes to Lovecraft. I really like his stories and re-read them all every few years. The atmosphere is incredibly hard to capture right when it comes to games, so the more people attempt it - the better chance that they will eventually (hopefully)  succeed, or, to put it simple - the more Lovecraft-inspired games there are – the merrier.
I will never tire of games about Sherlock either. Smile

Not counting Slayers X and Tartarus Key that I just bought, and Repella Fella that I’m getting tomorrow (and were all mentioned before), in June I’m looking forward to:

1. Jorel’s Brother and the Most Important Game of the Galaxy - a comedy point’n'click based on Brazilian cartoon.

2. Ghost Trick Phantom Detective - a Capcom game from the creator of Ace Attorney I’ve heard so much about but never was able to play it due to being available only on Nintendo DS. Until now that is! June 29 seems to be The Date to finally get it on PC.

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

OMG they finally decided to port Ghost Trick? Better late than never I guess, I lost hope many years ago, but was able to find the original DS version, it works excellent on that system. Wish they added a prequel of sorts, or at least a new chapter for the fans who’ve been asking for a sequel for years. Collecting images and solving additional gem puzzles doesn’t sound too inviting… But anyway, the more people will play this masterpiece, the better! Maybe this will inspire them to produce a proper sequel.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

How diffefent is it from Ace Attorney? The gameplay seems very different, but the overall concept feels the same… I loved AA, and I saw people referring to Ghost Trick as a “masterpiece” many times, so I’m really curious about it. I do prefer to trust the the AC creator, because I enjoyed AA tremendously. Looking at it being a first day buy potentially, $29.99 price tag and all…

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Writing and world-building are certainly similar, you can clearly tell it was done by the same author — there’s a wacky world filled with wacky characters, but it’s not a comedy per se, the story has many twists and often makes you feel on edge. But it’s also more gameplay-centric, with an emphasis on new mechanics. And even though it’s named “Phantom Detective”, there’s no detective work and no deduction to speak of, it’s purely about manipulating environments to reach the current objective and move further, so I wouldn’t compare them…

Total Posts: 1656

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I am very intrigued by that foolish Mortals game, don’t know if it will actually turn out to be good, but I think it has the potential to.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The Talos Principle 2 trailer has been revealed. It’s coming out this year after all

And gameplay trailer

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Thanks Doom! It’s been so long since I’ve even thought of Ghost Trick before their announcement, that I think it just naturally came to me that it’s going to be about deducing something, just based on the Ace Attorney connection. It’s the trailer that made me wonder… Many people people call this game a masterpiece, so I suppose, it’s not about particular mechanics but about the talent of creators that made this game popular…

I’ve never played the first Talos Principle, although I, apparently, own the game. Looks like “laser puzzle” (or that’s how I call this type of games) which would normally not be my cup of tea, but the overwhelmingly positive rating on Steam says it might be a great game after all.

Jdawg445 - I actually tried to run Foolish Mortals demo, but it launched without sound no matter what I tried, even though I seemed to be the only one with that problem. It’s been awhile ago though, so I ought to give it another try. I just hope it’s another “Voodoo Detective” kind of game - looking and sounding very promising but then falling short of the potential and ending up just a pleasant, middle-of-the-road experience instead of something really memorable…

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Please tell me that Reveil isn’t going to have any monsters, ghosts, or other foes chasing the main character. I’m so ready for a good (or at least decent) horror adventure without that.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2022-01-07

PM

DCast - 10 June 2023 07:23 PM

I just hope it’s not another “Voodoo Detective” kind of game - looking and sounding very promising but then falling short of the potential and ending up just a pleasant, middle-of-the-road experience instead of something really memorable…

I hope this too, haha. The engine got an update last week so we updated the demo yesterday - there’s a chance that might help the sound issue. (If not, send me a message and I’ll try to help!).

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

inklingwood - 14 June 2023 04:01 AM
DCast - 10 June 2023 07:23 PM

I just hope it’s not another “Voodoo Detective” kind of game - looking and sounding very promising but then falling short of the potential and ending up just a pleasant, middle-of-the-road experience instead of something really memorable…

I hope this too, haha. The engine got an update last week so we updated the demo yesterday - there’s a chance that might help the sound issue. (If not, send me a message and I’ll try to help!).

How is the development of the game coming, I hope you’ve done a page one rewrite on Murphy who in the demo was pretty bland and uninteresting. Like I said in an adventure game that’s the number one thing a dev has to get right, most puzzles come and go and maybe even forgotten but characters last forever. That’s why folks still talk about guybrush, gabriel, ben throttle, george stobbart, laura bow to this day, more so than any puzzle unless we’re talking about the goat puzzle lol.

For example on the opposite in the Spectrum think of deponia. The main character rufus is very divisive and while he didn’t bother me like he did other players, he did get up to that line and turned off a lot of Gamers, from ever finishing the game. and I understand why.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2022-01-07

PM

Yeah, I’ve been working to build the character in the full game since the demo release, and funnily enough I just today started on a big ‘unifying redraft’ for the entire game’s script, where it’ll really be focused on. We’ve done a lot since the demo release - I should post an update on the game’s thread here.

We’re also going to rerecord the dialogue that’s in the demo for the full game, and push it to be more characterful, rather than restrained. It really works with George Stobbart, but I think we fell into the trap that Broken Sword 2.5 fell into, where just because it works for Rolf Saxon doesn’t mean it works in other situations.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

inklingwood - 14 June 2023 04:18 PM

Yeah, I’ve been working to build the character in the full game since the demo release, and funnily enough I just today started on a big ‘unifying redraft’ for the entire game’s script, where it’ll really be focused on. We’ve done a lot since the demo release - I should post an update on the game’s thread here.

We’re also going to rerecord the dialogue that’s in the demo for the full game, and push it to be more characterful, rather than restrained. It really works with George Stobbart, but I think we fell into the trap that Broken Sword 2.5 fell into, where just because it works for Rolf Saxon doesn’t mean it works in other situations.

That’s great to hear, but I would say George is not really restrained. In Broken Sword he’s witty, charming and sarcastic. especially when he’s talking to himself. He has a personality for days. I feel like Murphy in the demo was just a cardboard cutout who had no emotional range whatsoever no matter what was going on around him. Which some of it might not have been the writing, it could be the actor or The Voice Direction too, but when one character is obviously being sarcastic and demeaning to the main character and he just gives a stone faced response, it’s like the two characters are not actually talking to each other because real people do not act like that. For instance if I said your game is going to be really popular with a chuckle and roll of my eyes you would realize I was being sarcastic, you would not respond with Oh gee whizz thanks in a simple tone. you would either get angry or have a sarcastic response back to me.  for instance in the demo, the host at the restaurant is clearly being sarcastic to Murphy the whole time, and it’s like he’s too dumb to realize it, and it goes over his head, but I don’t think you meant to write him that way. If for some reason you did mean to write him that way and directed the voice actor to act like that, it doesn’t work to me.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Doom - 04 June 2023 09:56 PM

OMG they finally decided to port Ghost Trick? Better late than never I guess, I lost hope many years ago, but was able to find the original DS version, it works excellent on that system. Wish they added a prequel of sorts, or at least a new chapter for the fans who’ve been asking for a sequel for years. Collecting images and solving additional gem puzzles doesn’t sound too inviting… But anyway, the more people will play this masterpiece, the better! Maybe this will inspire them to produce a proper sequel.

There’s also been an ios port available for a while that’s actually great to play on an ipad. I usually don’t like playing on tablets but for this game the controls just worked (and the game is amazing too).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top