• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

God, I want to play this. I don’t usually pay full price right when games come out (I usually wait a few months for their price to drop on Amazon), but this has me all excited. I’m a huge Holmes fan (original books, Granada, Richie, BBC), and I liked the previous Holmes games. The trailer looked a little corny, but yet I am still excited.

Anyone playing, please keep us up to date. It goes live on Steam US in 4 days, and I’m debating.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’m waiting for the xbox version which is out on the 25th. Man, thats way to long to wait! lol

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I’m going crazy, watching the trailers. I may crack and buy a newly released game at starting price, the first time in YEARS!

I love the music in the background of the trailers. My memory seems to be failing me; was Lestrade present in any of the other games?

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’m curious to the story. Is it satisfying or did they spend so much time and efford on the graphics that the story got a bit neglected? That’s what I’m afraid of.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-08-30

PM

Here is the Case of the Missing Necklace for those who is still waiting for US release. 

* Make sure the annotations are enabled *

It is an interactive Youtube video where you can play an actual case from the game by clicking on the clues and finding the missing jewels!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fantasysci5 - 21 September 2012 03:49 AM

My memory seems to be failing me; was Lestrade present in any of the other games?

He was in Nemesis and Silver Earring, maybe others as well but I can’t remember either.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

tsa - 21 September 2012 04:43 AM

I’m curious to the story. Is it satisfying or did they spend so much time and efford on the graphics that the story got a bit neglected? That’s what I’m afraid of.

Unless the game falls apart later on, from what I’ve played so far, it’s without a doubt the best storytelling Frogwares has done with Sherlock Holmes yet. It’s darker, more complex, better written and the core mysteries at the center of it are far more interesting and unpredictable than they were in the other games. There’s still a few clunky moments where it seems like there’s some translation issues but those are far between.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2012-09-21

PM

I’m very excited for this game’s US release on Tuesday! I’ve played a couple more popular “adventure” games before (I looked into the genre after playing some visual novels and hearing about Ace Attorney; I mostly think of them as really hard VNs still, haha) but this game looks like it takes the next step: a beautiful 3D world with a greatly rendered Holmes and Watson.

For the past year and a half or so I’ve watched and read a lot of Sherlock Holmes (and Raffles!) television shows, movies, and books so this really comes at the perfect time for me (Elementary comes out Thursday, too!). It’s even better that Atlus USA is publishing it, because I probably would never have heard of it otherwise (I frequent their forums and buy a lot of the games they publish). I was hesitant for awhile since I had never heard anything about Frogwares before but I checked out the last half a dozen or so SH games and they’ve got a solid history, it would seem. I’m glad to hear good things from early adopters; hopefully my GameStop has a copy of the game since I wasn’t sure that I would buy it for a long time (if not, there’s always Amazon).

I’m saving up for a laptop and hopefully then I can backtrack and play the older ones, since my family’s desktop is no good for games.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2012-06-04

PM

Godspoken - 21 September 2012 05:26 PM

I’m saving up for a laptop and hopefully then I can backtrack and play the older ones, since my family’s desktop is no good for games.

It’s awesome having a laptop, you’ll love it. I just finished Secret Files 3 on my desktop, however, I’m a little way through Mysterious Island 2 on my laptop. I HDMI the laptop to my 32” TV, lie back in bed and play.  Laughing  I can either have it just on the TV or duplicate on both the TV and the laptop screen. Mostly I use the touchpad, but I also have a mouse connected sitting on the bedside table. I didn’t finish the game Keepsake for years (started it 2004) but when I got the laptop last year, I finally got stuck into it again and finished it.  The laptop I got is high enough spec (dedicated AMD card + built in intel 3000 graphics) to play demanding action games on medium settings, but I only do those types on the desktop. But it means that the laptop will run any adventure game, even amnesia, for some time to come.  Smile

First registered in 2005. Original creator of: Place that Quote! - Adventure Game Sounds - Decipher the Anagram! - Name that Inventory! - A Face to Place!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sounds great from what I’ve been hearing. So what’s the difficulty like versus the previous games? I found Sherlock vs Ripper slightly easier than the previous entries, so I would hope they don’t make it any easier.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2008-09-01

PM

Oscar - 21 September 2012 11:47 PM

Sounds great from what I’ve been hearing. So what’s the difficulty like versus the previous games? I found Sherlock vs Ripper slightly easier than the previous entries, so I would hope they don’t make it any easier.

Since its also on consoles i’d bet its much easier.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

xxax - 22 September 2012 03:32 AM
Oscar - 21 September 2012 11:47 PM

Since its also on consoles i’d bet its much easier.

Controls =/= Easier Gameplay, just better simpler controls.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

It’s a little easier but I think that’s just because they’ve made an effort to ground the puzzles in logic and try to better integrate them into the story. There’s still the obligatory “piece together the torn paper” and “figure out the code to open the safe” kinda stuff but they’re kept to a minimum and make usually sense when they do pop up, often relying on your investigation of clues in the nearby area to figure them out instead of just luck or patience.

Very few puzzles in this feel arbitrary which I think is one of the big reasons why its leaps and bounds ahead of the previous Holmes games. There’s none of those endless fetch quests where you have to constantly trek back and forth through the city streets and surprisingly little inventory puzzles, which I thought had a tendency to be a little illogical in previous games. Most of the puzzles are centered around the power of deduction and while that can make them pretty simple to figure out at times, it also gives you the incredibly cool feeling of being Sherlock Holmes. Rotating around a top hat to find smoke burns and scratch marks from glasses on the rim so you can narrow down the list of potential owners might not leave you stumped but it’s incredibly fun to do.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I like fetch quests. And inventory puzzles.

What a shame. I was considering buying this. Oh well.

A replay of Serrated Scalpel it is. Smile

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Curious to see what the reviews say.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top