• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Unsecure Links

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2023-03-26

PM

From what I understand from what I’ve read in the past, adventuregamers receives a commission or some sort of support when people click links to sites like gog, then buy the games after following the links. I use Brave browser, and it’s been giving me an unsecure site warning when I’ve tried clicking links to gog on game pages recently. This didn’t used to happen. I want to support this site without compromising privacy or security.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just tried & I don’t get any warnings at all - I don’t know whether that’s good or bad but I do have quite a powerful antivirus installed so I would guess that it may be down to your browser ‘misinterpreting’ something?

Joined 2023-03-26

PM

When I click the link, the next page displays an exclamation point inside a triangle above the message:

“The connection to http://www.gog.com is not secure

You are seeing this warning because this site does not support HTTPS.”

Then, I have the option to continue to the site or go back. My browser claims this page is not secure, but when I continued, the gog page didn’t indicate that. I wonder if my browser is just misidentifying the link as potentially unsecure just because it has af.gog in the URL (despite being preceded by https). This didn’t used to happen, so I’m guessing a browser update caused it to be potentially oversensitive to false positives? I don’t know if all powerful antiviruses also cover privacy threats.

I don’t know for sure if it’s just my browser misidentifying a lack of security, or if the links on here have become less secure somehow, so I want to make sure it’s safe, especially considering entering payment information is involved.

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Yeah, GOG itself is definitely secure.  It does look like the af.gog.com domain doesn’t have an SSL certificate though, and only works over http.

So I can understand why a browser would flag that up, particularly when you’re going from a secure site to an insecure one, even if only briefly.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2023-03-26

PM

I wasn’t really doubting the security of gog so much as concerned about the possibility of someone or something malicious gaining access to sensitive information (does gog’s security block anything from happening after navigating away from that “unsecure” page?). I don’t know how all these security/privacy threats work, or what’s possible. I’m guessing this was just my browser essentially giving a false alarm due to not knowing any better? If so, good to be assured it’s safe to proceed.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

That’s peculiar, it seems that af link uses HTTP versus HTTPS URL’s, certainly not something I’ve configured so I’ve raised a ticket with them to ensure this gets updated (as I’m quite sure that’s not deliberate).

Do you still get this? Are there specific pages you get this from?

As for commission, correctly, we get a small commission (5%) on any sale generated on GOG, Humblebundle or Bitmap Books. Steam links we don’t get any commission for, but we do include those as they are the most relevant obviously.

For Itch.io we do have a tracking code with them and see sales, but there’s no affiliate program/commission as of yet.

Ultimately the main goal is to ensure you can find the game on relevant platforms, not commission, that’s more a nice added benefit if it happens to be at a store we get commission from.

Joined 2023-03-26

PM

As of a little bit ago, that supposedly unsecure page no longer even appears—clicking links takes me directly to gog. I’ve actually used gog the most by far (I’ve never really used steam). tbh I care more about supporting this site than certain rights-holders. Good to see the ticket apparently was noticed Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top