• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabeLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Adventures of the Black Hawk

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I have been keeping my eye on this game for quite a while and it finally came out I think yesterday. It’s obvious from a graphical standpoint where this game wears its influence aka The Secret of Monkey Island. But the premise seems interesting like that old Adventure game about Robin Hood. Or like a new version of Zorro. I think for my next game it will not be an adventure game since I have played so many lately, but when I get back I plan on reviewing this eventually. I do wish it had voice acting but I’m very interested in the game’s design, as far as how puzzles are integrated and if there’s more than one way to solve a situation.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2664930/The_Adventures_of_The_Black_Hawk/?fbclid=IwAR1rMmUTjFDEXJ5JFaXlP7R2kbvvmVuMfHkFFIdjzaBWADSyRJRHI8F4Dok

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

It does look interesting, I agree and is now on my Steam Wishlist.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Reminds me strongly of Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer. Fun game.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I thought the same thing, Karlok.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

Now I can put my 386 to use

A1

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Thanks JDawg. I watched the trailer and have had the music stuck in my head all morning.

Pan

AKA Charo

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Charophycean - 15 February 2024 10:05 PM

Thanks JDawg. I watched the trailer and have had the music stuck in my head all morning.

Pan

No problem, I think the price point is right in the sweet spot too.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

Looks a lot like Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis to me.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Yeah, I thought of “Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer” too. We make a few adventure games in Spain, but I am glad they are quite good. And soon we will enjoy “An English Haunting”, from the guy who made “Nightmare Frames”.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

IronCretin - 16 February 2024 01:46 AM

Looks a lot like Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis to me.

I definitely see that too, yeah it has a very early Lucas Arts feel. Also mixed with conquest of the longbows: a robinhood game. from i think 91.  I’m actually hoping the gameplay is like conquest.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oh no! Copy protection! Seriously? They’ve taken the classic retro nostalgia thing too far.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 16 February 2024 09:21 PM

Oh no! Copy protection! Seriously? They’ve taken the classic retro nostalgia thing too far.

Lol really, does it have a dial a pirate too.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I still have a Dial A Pirate. Cool Old and a bit crumpled but I’m not going to throw it away.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I bought this game last night after finding out about it from this thread. It looked like exactly the kind of classic style adventure game I was looking for, from the graphics to the setting to the gameplay. And, in those respects, it is.

But…it is on the one hand an impressive game. Very nice art, so far a couple of decently challenging puzzles, and a story that seems like it might be a lot of fun.
On the other hand, it’s a sloppy game. The translation, while sometimes surprisingly on point with its idioms, clever turns of phrases, and witty repartee, is more often riddled with typos, very poor grammar, and conversation trees that jump non-sequitorially from one topic to another, leaving me scratching my head as to what the heck is going on. Sometimes characters will engage with you in conversation about things you don’t know about yet, but they talk to you like you do. Sometimes the script just doesn’t do a good job cluing you in on what the crux of any given conversation is. And all too often you find yourself interrogating one person after another about the same subjects, receiving very similar and very similarly long-winded answers from everyone. Too often characters will shout at you from off screen, apparently not intentionally, but because the scene should have panned or ‘shot’ in wide angle/panoramic, but it wasn’t.
Yeah, I know, this is an indie adventure game, but the script and direction are very sloppy, and I hope the translator did the job pro bono, because I get the feeling that so much of what I’m criticizing was simply the result of so much being lost in translation.

For all that, I am enjoying the game and so far definitely plan to see it through to the end, but I’m done trying to exhaust every dialog tree, because it’s not nearly as rewarding as in a game such as, say, Monkey Island, for which The Adventures of Black Hawk makes no attempt to hide its worship.

Speaking of Monkey Island: Adventures of Blackhawk *is* Monkey Island worship (but so far mostly tastefully done), and, genre and graphical era aside, has no similarities to Conquest of the Longbow, which is my favorite adventure game (along with Day of the Tentacle).

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 17 February 2024 09:18 PM

I bought this game last night after finding out about it from this thread. It looked like exactly the kind of classic style adventure game I was looking for, from the graphics to the setting to the gameplay. And, in those respects, it is.

But…it is on the one hand an impressive game. Very nice art, so far a couple of decently challenging puzzles, and a story that seems like it might be a lot of fun.
On the other hand, it’s a sloppy game. The translation, while sometimes surprisingly on point with its idioms, clever turns of phrases, and witty repartee, is more often riddled with typos, very poor grammar, and conversation trees that jump non-sequitorially from one topic to another, leaving me scratching my head as to what the heck is going on. Sometimes characters will engage with you in conversation about things you don’t know about yet, but they talk to you like you do. Sometimes the script just doesn’t do a good job cluing you in on what the crux of any given conversation is. And all too often you find yourself interrogating one person after another about the same subjects, receiving very similar and very similarly long-winded answers from everyone. Too often characters will shout at you from off screen, apparently not intentionally, but because the scene should have panned or ‘shot’ in wide angle/panoramic, but it wasn’t.
Yeah, I know, this is an indie adventure game, but the script and direction are very sloppy, and I hope the translator did the job pro bono, because I get the feeling that so much of what I’m criticizing was simply the result of so much being lost in translation.

For all that, I am enjoying the game and so far definitely plan to see it through to the end, but I’m done trying to exhaust every dialog tree, because it’s not nearly as rewarding as in a game such as, say, Monkey Island, for which The Adventures of Black Hawk makes no attempt to hide its worship.

Speaking of Monkey Island: Adventures of Blackhawk *is* Monkey Island worship (but so far mostly tastefully done), and, genre and graphical era aside, has no similarities to Conquest of the Longbow, which is my favorite adventure game (along with Day of the Tentacle).

Thanks for the detailed impression. Now im less excited especially if it is not like conquest.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

It reminds me of Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard, insofar as it could have easily been plucked right out of ‘93.

That copy protection is cute the first time, then is just annoying. It’s interesting, I’m enjoying the game despite its many foibles, like one of those games that gets a 6/10 in popular gaming magazines, is very technically flawed, but which has a charm and scratches a certain very subjective itch that lots of much higher rated games don’t.

So what if sometimes NPCs stand in front of hotspots, preventing me from identifying them? So what if there’s oodles of pixel hunting? So what if sometimes you click stuff and nothing happens because the developers forgot to program make something happen? So what if part of the gameplay loop is going back and forth from townsperson to townsperson, slowly unlocking the information you need to proceed by finding just the right random person who knows exactly what you need to know? So what! I’m playing a very nice to look at adventure game that might just as well be a lost unpolished gem from my favorite era of adventure games, with a likeable main character, set in one of my favorite to read about historical periods, with a really nice soundtrack.

No one but a dyed-in-the-wool 80’s ‘n 90’s adventure game player would put up with this nonsense, but for that player, this stuff is pure manna.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top