• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #75: The Neverhood

Total Posts: 7453

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

No problem, Charo. It’s only been 5 days. I’ll post the next stopping point on Saturday, unless people object.

@zobraks: We’re also having beautiful weather and I’m going to plant more bulbs in the garden and go for a walk in the woods. The weather will change tomorrow here in Holland.

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I have finished the section and dont really care to read the walls of text. Maybe in the future if i wanna know more about the game. Even online the text is really long.

I dont find the game easy. But the difficulty is not about the puzzles themselves. Is more about understanding what to do next and when i click a button somewhere is not clear what it does. Well if you explore and observe it makes sense so far, but its not clear how to deal with some of the puzzles.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I agree, there’s no handholding in this game. Some people (like me) find it fun to explore and discover stuff but I also needed some hints on what to do next during my first playthrough.

Here’s something people may not have noticed in the Hall. Nothing spectacular but I’ll put a link so as not to spoil anything with a pic. If you walk the hall to the end in the dark you can see the name of one of the creators in the bottom left corner: Mark Lorentzen. Very hard to see.

Copy and paste: https://imgur.com/NFFwpQz

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Total Posts: 521

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 02 November 2022 06:09 AM

Nobody else mentioned having trouble with the part after the sound puzzle, so my prediction was wrong. And nobody mentioned Willie’s story on the tapes, which I personally find much more fun than TenNapel’s version of the Old Testament. After finishing this section you should have 8 tapes.

Are we ready to move to the next section or do Char, Veovis, Nico, zobraks need more time to finish reading the wall? Doom, how about you?

If you’re referring to finding out how to get to the second floor in the building with the sound puzzle I was indeed stuck for a while. It’s easy to think it has something to do with fooling that surveillance thingy in the ceiling. But revisiting the Hall of Records after being stuck for a while did the trick.

Even though a couple of the puzzles seemed obscure at first I found none of them to be particularly hard. I’m sure that will change as we move on.

Two things I had Kalymen do seemed to do nothing when it comes to progressing the game. There is an animation in the lower portion of the Hall of Records, triggered by a lever on the wall. The way the whole thing was set-up made me feel it was part of solving a possibly time-based puzzle. And I had Klaymen burp (and more…) for minutes by letting him eat three of those fruits from the tree close to the monster cave. Will be interesting to see whether or not these things have some meaning later on. My guess is that at least the latter one is an easter egg of sorts?

As for Willie’s tapes, I watched the ones I’ve found so far all 8 but I guess it will be more interesting and fun to watch them when complete.

I really want to continue on immediately, but I guess I can hold out until Saturday… I’ll probably read the wall on-line intermittently during the rest of the playthrough, so no need to wait for that reason.

Total Posts: 2086

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Are we ready to move to the next section or do Char, Veovis, Nico, zobraks need more time to finish reading the wall? Doom, how about you?

I just finished the chapter and ready to move on. I was actually trying to read the wall, because I realised I had never done that before, but then I realised why Smile The thing is actually very funny, and so does Doug’s trolling of Myst and Co that use books to tell stories, but it’s still way too long. Even walking back and forth takes so much time, I’d rather read it some other day in a book format.

I’m generally having fun so far, two of my favourite clips with giant creatures attacking Klaymen happen in this chapter, and I love all Willie’s cameos, be it letters or videos. I had little trouble with puzzles, music puzzle in particular, despite I spend hours solving it when the game came out. But puzzles should improve from now on from what I remember as they become more original and more interconnected, and so do various parts of the world.

Veovis - 02 November 2022 08:30 AM

And I had Klaymen burp (and more…) for minutes by letting him eat three of those fruits from the tree close to the monster cave. Will be interesting to see whether or not these things have some meaning later on. My guess is that at least the latter one is an easter egg of sorts?

Yes, it’s a sort of an egg from what I remember, for the sake of listening to various unhealthy sounds. As a matter of fact, I recall how it happened during my first playthrough, I didn’t know you could skip cutscenes, thought I broke the game, panicked and switched off my PC)) Neverhood likes to mock the player like this.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 31 October 2022 09:36 AM

I feel that the Hall of Records is an integral part of the game. Anybody who has played the Neverhood before, correct me if I’m wrong, but I think ScummVM must have added the option to skip it. In my not very humble opinion that goes against the creator’s intentions, which I read as: It’s okay to be bored, it’s okay not to read the wall, but you have to walk the walk…..

Yes, I can believe that perhaps the option was added by ScummVM & I certainly wouldn’t have skipped it to start with without first experiencing what I was skipping!

There does seem to be a few participants who have either read the records or are planning to & I might myself get around to it later on. At the moment, so early on in the game it feels like, as an analogy, reading/watching the 1st part of The Lord of the Rings & then having to read the extensive history of Middle-Earth although it doesn’t relate to the immediate situation…. Correct me if I’m perceiving this wrongly!

As for ‘creator’s intentions’ - why does this particular developer think it’s okay for you to be bored but not read their creative text?   

Nobody else mentioned having trouble with the part after the sound puzzle, so my prediction was wrong. And nobody mentioned Willie’s story on the tapes, which I personally find much more fun than TenNapel’s version of the Old Testament. After finishing this section you should have 8 tapes.

I’m curious about your prediction Karlok?
Yes, after the sound puzzle there didn’t seem to be anything to interact with - I did see the spikes retracted in the wall - I’m guessing that they were connected to the button inside the entrance? I think I’ve realised that if you come across a button if you press it once it does something & undoes it if you press it again.
After climbing up the spikes pulling the wire/string dangling that was was pretty yuck!

I do have all 8 tapes - watched some of them but I thought it might be nice to watch them later when there’s more. 

I’m looking forward to the next part but am quite happy to wait.
Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 02 November 2022 11:34 AM

I also think you can die in the next chapter which should be mentioned beforehand.

We disagree. The game’s very explicit warning that you can die should be enough. I am not in favor of pampering the participants in a CPT. (I’m aware I may have been guilty of that once or twice in previous CPTs.) It amounts to depriving them of something. That’s the reason I advised against skipping the Hall of Records.

chrissie - 02 November 2022 11:54 AM

There does seem to be a few participants who have either read the records or are planning to & I might myself get around to it later on. At the moment, so early on in the game it feels like, as an analogy, reading/watching the 1st part of The Lord of the Rings & then having to read the extensive history of Middle-Earth although it doesn’t relate to the immediate situation…. Correct me if I’m perceiving this wrongly!

As for ‘creator’s intentions’ - why does this particular developer think it’s okay for you to be bored but not read their creative text?

What I meant is: The devs want you to walk to the end of the hallway and find a tape. But you don’t have to read the text on the wall, because it’s just (interesting) background info. And if you don’t want to do that, walking is all that’s left and boredom sets in like a nice little extra. Tongue

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oh alright, I’ll remove it from my post then if you think it should be experienced. I based it on my own experience which led to hours of replaying. The game breaks too many rules to be trusted Shifty Eyed

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 02 November 2022 01:25 PM

Oh alright, I’ll remove it from my post then if you think it should be experienced. I based it on my own experience which led to hours of replaying. The game breaks too many rules to be trusted Shifty Eyed

I’m sorry, Doom. I didn’t mean to annoy you and I certainly don’t want you to delete your warning.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m not annoyed, Karlok Smile It’s your playthrough after all, and I agree that part of the fun of playing The Neverhood is discovering it without knowing what to expect next. I’m actually glad I forgot so much about this game, there are many cool touches. I even replayed the wall part with lights turned off after your post to see what it was all about)

Total Posts: 5613

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heh.  While dusting today, I caught myself humming one of the songs from the game that has gotten stuck in my head.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 526

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’ve made a lot of progress but am stuck in the room past the sound puzzle. (I climbed the ladder already) I see from the comments it’s a common place to get stuck so is it worth persisting or is it something I’m unlikely to solve without hints?

Lady Kestrel - 03 November 2022 02:52 PM

Heh.  While dusting today, I caught myself humming one of the songs from the game that has gotten stuck in my head.

Me too, was it the country song?

AKA Charo

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Doom - 02 November 2022 02:51 PM

I’m not annoyed, Karlok Smile It’s your playthrough after all, and I agree that part of the fun of playing The Neverhood is discovering it without knowing what to expect next. I’m actually glad I forgot so much about this game, there are many cool touches. I even replayed the wall part with lights turned off after your post to see what it was all about)

Glad you’re not annoyed. But it was wrong of me to urge people to play the Neverhood as I felt it was meant to be played.

Charophycean - 04 November 2022 04:32 AM

I’ve made a lot of progress but am stuck in the room past the sound puzzle. (I climbed the ladder already) I see from the comments it’s a common place to get stuck so is it worth persisting or is it something I’m unlikely to solve without hints?

I take it that by ladder you mean the location of Willie’s hints?
I’ll repeat what I said on the first page: Pressing buttons may do something somewhere else. If you need a more specific hint, just holler.

Total Posts: 526

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Karlok - 04 November 2022 07:00 AM

I take it that by ladder you mean the location of Willie’s hints?

No, I meant the ladder going up to the slime monster

AKA Charo

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Then you’re not stuck there. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top