• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkkanaifuOOUSVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommended sci-fi AG

Total Posts: 2101

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

IronCretin - 25 May 2024 07:41 PM

I started Voyage (also called Journey to the Moon) and the gameplay did not age well for my enjoyment. A lot of recursive gameplay (collect items, make something, test effect, consumed, collect again, make again for later, loop this for X many combination of items). Just did not find it very fun.

Yes, I also found this part of gameplay not very engaging on my second play some years ago despite I absolutely loved Voyage back then. It’s curious how preferences change with time, guess all the recent story-driven adventures influenced our perception of gameplay based on pure puzzle mechanics. Or maybe we didn’t age that well. On the side note, I read a magazine article from the early 1990s recently where the author complained about how much graphics and point-n-click interface dumbed down the genre, limiting our imagination, taking away interactivity and experimentation of the text era, to the point we stopped participating in the gaming process and just clicked our way through. This feels so familiar.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

I haven’t played it yet but “The Captain” was recommended to me from a trusted source and I’m currently waiting for it to be on sale on steam so I can pick it up. Supposedly a scifi indie gem from 2021.

Total Posts: 1294

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Is it an adventure game? It doesn’t seem so reading the description.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

It’s an indie game, of course it doesn’t constrain itself to a single genre. At the core, it’s a classic retro-style point-and-click adventure, with a bit resource management and tactical, round-based space combat sprinkled on top. Very plot heavy, space exploration fun, supposedly.

Total Posts: 1294

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, sounds interesting and it is in Spanish. Wishlisted!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1688

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Off subject one game i missed back in the day was ripper, should i try it?

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ripper? Are you talking about the ancient FMV game with Christopher Walken, THAT Ripper?

Oh yes, please do play it. I’m already drooling at the thought of your rant about the wonderful acting and the very first puzzle: THE CUP!  Innocent

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I just might, i already know christopher walken will chew threw scenery. Walken much like a jeff goldblum at some point in their career no longer play characters, they just play exaggerated forms of their self. I see ossie Davis is in the cast and I always liked him. As far as gameplay goes I heard the puzzles range from easy to completely obtuse with weird action 1st person virtual reality set pieces thrown in. You are not wrong there’s a very strong chance that I will hate it. But you never know I might like it okay. For instance I think toonstruck is okay and the tex Murphy games I’ve always thought were way overrated but not terrible either. Of course I have not played all those, I played under a Killing Moon, overseer, and the demo of the Tesla game and it did not do enough for me to want to make a purchase, so i have never played that full game.

Either way I got to find a way to run the game and still got to beat a Japanese RPG first.

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ripper is a DOS game, so DOSbox is your friend.  Cool

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I heard there is a lot of issues trying to get it to mount properly, but i have added the game to my list to check out eventually.

I am I just trying to go through more full motion video games. the only one that I ever thought was truly a masterpiece was not an adventure game it was wing commander 4, and the reason that particular Wing Commander worked so well, even a lot better than three is because in 4, the acting scenes were actually filmed on sets and not green screen so the acting was a lot better because they could actually see what they were interacting with. Which I think was a huge problem in Wing Commander 3 and other full motion video games of the time. Back then actors were not really use to just interacting with complete green or blue screens, so their acting often became hammy because it seemed more like a stage play than a movie set or a TV set.

As far as adventure games go my favorite probably is Gabriel Knight 2, but I also really did enjoy contradiction, mostly because you can tell that game was filmed in a real Village and so no green screen “sets.” Plus I have a huge soft spot for British Mysteries, the wife and I are going through Midsomer murders right now and they’re just great cheesy fun and contradiction was like a more cheesy version of that even.

Edit I tried to get the game running and while the video ran fine the audio was all scrambled anytime I moved the mouse over an object it would stutter and during speech it would stutter horribly. I did do the first mug puzzle, def a challenge until I realized the pieces could actually overlap each other a bit and didn’t actually lock into place. But that sounds stuttering drove me mad so looks like I will not be playing this.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top