• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #69: The Dig

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

yeah the kudos to you are for marrying smart I guess. Wink

Total Posts: 1689

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 18 December 2021 02:32 PM

yeah the kudos to you are for marrying smart I guess. Wink

Lol indeed

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I have caught up to the first stopping point. I can say that nothing is familiar, even though this is a replay for me, so it is like a new game. The intro is well done, as is the set up for the team. You get a good sense of their characters and their roles with that press conference.
I am getting used to having to talk to the team to advance the game. I don’t play many games with dialogue, so I was stalled until I found these triggers.
My game is playing well with SCUMMV, though sometimes the background music cuts out.
I can’t say I like the characters. Brink was abrasive, and Low seems old school ‘hero’ type. Right now I identify most with Maggie, but I don’t know a lot about her.

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t think I’ve got to the first stopping point yet but I’m sure I’m not far off (playing as Low?).
I found the intro of the game akin to the beginnings of a ‘blockbuster` film very impressive, love the music, the characters & the voice-acting so far. I especially like the atmosphere & the interaction between the different characters.

I’m not sure I’ll keep up as I’ll be away for a couple of weeks but the game so far is grabbing me more than expected after first dipping my toes in a number of years ago & to be quite honest not initially lured by the artwork/screenshots.  Smile

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

TimovieMan - 17 December 2021 07:23 PM

I was going to ask what your thoughts were on the characters, locations, graphics, music, voice acting etc., but you’ve already made good points discussing that.

If I’m overstepping in that regard, I could take a step back. I don’t want to take over half of your CPT!

I didn’t get the reference, I’m such a movie noob. But I’ll look out for any references in this part of the game.

100% agree about the sound and graphic design.

I flipped the light switch and the plot has thickened.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 19 December 2021 01:12 PM
TimovieMan - 17 December 2021 07:23 PM

I was going to ask what your thoughts were on the characters, locations, graphics, music, voice acting etc., but you’ve already made good points discussing that.

If I’m overstepping in that regard, I could take a step back. I don’t want to take over half of your CPT!

I didn’t get the reference, I’m such a movie noob. But I’ll look out for any references in this part of the game.

100% agree about the sound and graphic design.

I flipped the light switch and the plot has thickened.

How did the power puzzle go for you?  along with the alien Turtle puzzle that’s usually a hard one for people

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jdawg445 - 19 December 2021 01:33 PM

How did the power puzzle go for you?  along with the alien Turtle puzzle that’s usually a hard one for people

I stalled on the power puzzle back in the day, because I was absolutely convinced my solution was correct but it didn’t take.
Turned out I was off by one button press...

I remember getting stuck on the light bridges too. It didn’t occur to me to keep pressing the mouse button instead of just clicking. Tongue

The alien turtle puzzle was never an issue for me, but that’s a type of puzzle I’ll rarely struggle with.

Third part that had me stumped back in the day was opening the tomb. I had done everything that needed to be done, but after figuring out the map room I never tried all the rods which would have given Low the final clue to do what I knew he had to do anyway… Grin

Naturally, this was all pre-internet and pre-walkthroughs…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

At first I thought It’d be in another room (behind the airlocked doors). Once I got the famous sandwich monologue (honestly at this point in my life, I felt that), I knew I was in the right place. I also noticed the item and after pressing the triangular buttons way too often, I figured out there was another panel.

Figuring the rest out took a bit more than I expected, since my mind’s been working at half speed. I was too optimistic during my first trial run (I’ll just remember the pattern and count it out), after that I took a more gradual approach and eventually it paid off.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 19 December 2021 01:55 PM

I stalled on the power puzzle back in the day, because I was absolutely convinced my solution was correct but it didn’t take.
Turned out I was off by one button press...

I remember getting stuck on the light bridges too. It didn’t occur to me to keep pressing the mouse button instead of just clicking. Tongue

The alien turtle puzzle was never an issue for me, but that’s a type of puzzle I’ll rarely struggle with.

Third part that had me stumped back in the day was opening the tomb. I had done everything that needed to be done, but after figuring out the map room I never tried all the rods which would have given Low the final clue to do what I knew he had to do anyway… Grin

Naturally, this was all pre-internet and pre-walkthroughs…

The trap the rat puzzle stumped me back in the day i was convinced i needed bait, plus the rod blends into the background

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 19 December 2021 02:11 PM

At first I thought It’d be in another room (behind the airlocked doors). Once I got the famous sandwich monologue (honestly at this point in my life, I felt that), I knew I was in the right place. I also noticed the item and after pressing the triangular buttons way too often, I figured out there was another panel.

Figuring the rest out took a bit more than I expected, since my mind’s been working at half speed. I was too optimistic during my first trial run (I’ll just remember the pattern and count it out), after that I took a more gradual approach and eventually it paid off.

Yeah, how i figured it out back in the day was trying each button one at a time and figuring out what direction the robot moved and how much it moved.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

chrissie - 19 December 2021 11:04 AM

I don’t think I’ve got to the first stopping point yet but I’m sure I’m not far off (playing as Low?).
I found the intro of the game akin to the beginnings of a ‘blockbuster` film very impressive, love the music, the characters & the voice-acting so far. I especially like the atmosphere & the interaction between the different characters.

I’m not sure I’ll keep up as I’ll be away for a couple of weeks but the game so far is grabbing me more than expected after first dipping my toes in a number of years ago & to be quite honest not initially lured by the artwork/screenshots.  Smile

Same here, true, got it cheap a few years after it was released, but for a 1995 release, I thought it was at best OK for graphics. It did, however run perfectly on a win 98 laptop. It so reminded me of Indy and the Fate of Atlantis that I loved the game anyway.

Today because 99% of our adventure games are indie releases, the game looks pretty wonderful.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I haven’t reached the next stopping point yet, but I’ll comment on what I’ve done so far.
I must have a different way of thinking out these puzzles, because I am having a tough time with them.
These were the areas I spent the most time.
I knew that turning on the power was basically a programming challenge. I had that pod going exactly over the lens and up to the holder, without any effect. I was using the red as a STOP and the other colours for direction.I spent about an hour on this one. I would never have realized to position the robot above the item, nor to know that red was for action.
The turtle was easy for me to put together (for those of you that know me Wink . I thought it was going to come back extra powerful, like Brink and cause the demise of the eel.. So when that didn’t happen, I thought I had put it together wrong. Another half hour later of reassembling ...and then thought about the explosive.
The less said about chasing the critter into the trap, the better. That verged on action territory. I finally accomplished it by accident after an umteenth time of hearing Low speak about those holes.

Short of those spots, I’m getting around the planet and exploring available areas. I’m finding the diagrams cryptic at best, but listening when comments are made about them.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Colpet - 19 December 2021 05:28 PM

I haven’t reached the next stopping point yet, but I’ll comment on what I’ve done so far.
I must have a different way of thinking out these puzzles, because I am having a tough time with them.
These were the areas I spent the most time.
I knew that turning on the power was basically a programming challenge. I had that pod going exactly over the lens and up to the holder, without any effect. I was using the red as a STOP and the other colours for direction.I spent about an hour on this one. I would never have realized to position the robot above the item, nor to know that red was for action.
The turtle was easy for me to put together (for those of you that know me Wink . I thought it was going to come back extra powerful, like Brink and cause the demise of the eel.. So when that didn’t happen, I thought I had put it together wrong. Another half hour later of reassembling ...and then thought about the explosive.
The less said about chasing the critter into the trap, the better. That verged on action territory. I finally accomplished it by accident after an umteenth time of hearing Low speak about those holes.

Short of those spots, I’m getting around the planet and exploring available areas. I’m finding the diagrams cryptic at best, but listening when comments are made about them.

I looked for bait the first time with the rat puzzle for hours. Never occurred to me to try to chase him in there

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jdawg445 - 19 December 2021 02:12 PM

The trap the rat puzzle stumped me back in the day i was convinced i needed bait, plus the rod blends into the background

That puzzle has the advantage of having all the necessary ingredients nearby, making it very easy to brute-force. First time I solved that one with little trouble, despite not fully knowing what I was doing or why…

Some of the puzzles make more sense in hindsight than when you’re actually trying to solve them. Innocent
But that’s not exclusive to this game… Grin

Colpet - 19 December 2021 05:28 PM

There’s nothing ‘action-y’ about it. The trick is to walk around the critter, so you can chase it towards the trap. Nothing a little trial-and-error can’t cure, even without a hint, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

How is it going with everyone

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top