• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #79: Return to Mysterious Island

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I’m at the stopping point, really loved a new kind of puzzles added on top of inventory manipulation.
Speaking of which, I still have some items sitting in it I’m starting to think I’ll never get to use, like a cage to catch an animal that I fixed. It’s not over yet, but from what I (barely) remember - we are heading towards the end.
I suppose I’m gonna have to look up all the uses for things I have collected. Still nothing regarding soot, Karlok.

I think that after meeting Jep suspension of disbelief is in full force, yeah. Then again, I can’t say I expected a serious survival adventure from a game based on the sc-fi book, after all, there are core events we have to suspend it for already.

With that being said, the overall “island survival 101” is actually pretty good here. Total ease with which Mina does things and her general upbeat attitude aside (I sure as hell wouldn’t be as peppy in the same situation), those are all solid things to recommend to a potential castaway. Just make sure to tell them - it will work, but it won’t be THAT easy Wink

@Veovis - was going to post a question here about a follow-up as well. Or about any other Kheops titles, really. I miiiight have played Nostradamus, but I might be wrong, it was so long ago. Other than that, I enjoyed their Safecracker (that I replayed quite recently) very much, but I think that may be it.
Are you planning to play the second part?

And if anyone here did play it or other Kheops stuff - how is it? Which one can you recommend?

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Veovis - 04 August 2023 04:25 AM

Part of the reason I replay this after all these years is because I never got around to plating the follow-up, Mina’s Fate. Will be interesting to see if that has the same tone.

A bit of warning, the sequel is a very different game that reuses same environments, but with a casual approach and questionable game mechanics (lots of arcade mini-games), at least from what I remember. For a similar experience I would recommend playing Voyage.

DCast - 04 August 2023 04:35 PM

And if anyone here did play it or other Kheops stuff - how is it? Which one can you recommend?

As I mentioned, Return 2 is not a very good game (the original is among my favourite adventures). Voyage is great, although it’s a bit on the Myst side (it has all the inventory management and MacGyver combinations, but also logic puzzles and alien planet exploration, you even have to study alien language). Dracula 3 is another one of my favourites from Kheops and its lead designer. It’s a bit different, more story-driven and with less focus on inventory, yet it’s probably the hardest of the four. Nostradamus and Cleopatra had similar design philosophy, but they were written by different (and less talented) people and often felt a bit uninspired and boring to play.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Doom - 04 August 2023 04:37 PM

As I mentioned, Return 2 is not a very good game (the original is among my favourite adventures). Voyage is great, although it’s a bit on the Myst side (it has all the inventory management and MacGyver combinations, but also logic puzzles and alien planet exploration, you even have to study alien language). Dracula 3 is another one of my favourites from Kheops and its lead designer. It’s a bit different, more story-driven and with less focus on inventory, yet it’s probably the hardest of the four. Nostradamus and Cleopatra had similar design philosophy, but they were written by different (and less talented) people and often felt a bit uninspired and boring to play.

Omg that’s right! Dracula is another one I enjoyed. Thanks for reminding me!
That makes it 3 for 3 (RthMI, Dracula 3 and Safecracker) from Kheops that I played and liked. I’ll definitely look into the Voyage, appreciate the comment.

I don’t know know why does almost everyone almost every time manages to make sequels worse. It’s like people attempting part 2 is under some kind of curse… Unnecessary tweaks to gameplay that proved itself to be quite successful is questionable at best.

EDIT: Just noticed that availability of Kheops games on Steam is extremely spotty. Some are there but most are missing, while the aforementioned Dracula 3 actually has “negative” rating due to, seemingly, missing parts of the gameplay while being sold as full game. That’s too bad, because it’s a pretty cool title, indeed.

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oh right, they “remade” Dracula for mobile phones and then ported it back to PC, and Microids is now selling this mess, giving it a bad reputation… Too bad, I also remember the original game very fondly, glad I’m not alone Smile The idea of “Return to Return to Mysterious Island” felt awkward to me the moment I heard about the game, and from what I remember it felt like they tried just to cash in on their best-selling title — they didn’t even bother to come up with new locations. Although it seems like at that point Kheops was fighting to survive as they ceased to exist shortly after Frown

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Finally! I aboarded the Nautilus. I really didn’t get how to solve Nautilus hatch code. There’s no clue that the solution is adding the number to 1860, or I haven’t seen it at least, I had to read a walkthrough for that. I am pretty sure i haven’t made all the materials possible, but still, I got 264 points which I guess it is not so bad…

After collecting everything at Granite House, I felt so overwhelmed that I thought I wouldn’t be able to continue…

I still don’t know why I ligthen up the fire in Granite House. I did it and I could see a hot surface, like a ceramic stove or similar, but i didn’t use it. Maybe I will before the end…

Well, I feel we are very close to the end so I am looking forward to it!

P.S Dracula 3 (The Path of the Dragon) is the best adventure game among Dracula’s adventure games. Final puzzle involves all the game played and it is brilliant.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

walas74 - 05 August 2023 03:35 AM

Finally! I aboarded the Nautilus. I really didn’t get how to solve Nautilus hatch code. There’s no clue that the solution is adding the number to 1860, or I haven’t seen it at least, I had to read a walkthrough for that.

You have to read captain Nemo’s notes twice. The first time the notes are incomplete and at some point the missing page is added in the most mysterious way. It would be okay if Mina found it somewhere, but you are unware that it has simply appeared out of nowhere. So why would I check the notes twice? That’s pretty bad, game!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

walas74 - 05 August 2023 03:35 AM

Finally! I aboarded the Nautilus. I really didn’t get how to solve Nautilus hatch code. There’s no clue that the solution is adding the number to 1860, or I haven’t seen it at least, I had to read a walkthrough for that.

I think it makes more sense to view it kind of the other way around, that 1, 8, 6, 0 should be added to the random set of numbers you get. Already when fiddling around with the puzzle I noticed that the fourth light got green when I didn’t change the fourth random number (since the fourth number in 1860 is a zero). Really didn’t feel like I was missing a clue here (and I never noticed that we have a clue in a note!).

DCast - 04 August 2023 04:35 PM

@Veovis - was going to post a question here about a follow-up as well. Or about any other Kheops titles, really. I miiiight have played Nostradamus, but I might be wrong, it was so long ago. Other than that, I enjoyed their Safecracker (that I replayed quite recently) very much, but I think that may be it.
Are you planning to play the second part?

I had planned to play RtMI2 but after reading Doom’s warning I’m not exactly looking forward to it anymore… Smile We’ll see.

I’ve played a few games by Kheops. Egypt 3 and Cleopatra were both terrible IIRC. In the same vein as those 90’s “edutainment” games from Cryo Interactive that I really don’t care for at all. I actually think Kheops was kind of a revamp of Cryo, with many of the same people employed.

Echo: Secrets of the Lost Cavern is kind of in the same edutainment style and I didn’t like that one much either, but I think others do. IIRC it has the same kind of gameplay as RtMI. Lots of experimentation with inventory item combinations.

The Secrets of Da Vinci: The Forbidden Manuscript and Nostradamus: The Last Prophecy were not too bad. More of the same Inventory Puzzling Concept IIRC. I remember enjoying those games ok.

I agree with others here that Dracula 3 is really good. I haven’t played Voyage (Journey to the Moon here in Europe) or Safecracker (wasn’t that a remake of the game with the same name from the 90’s, developed by the same people behind Traitors Gate?).

I also think Kheops was partly involved in The Crystal Key 2. That was a big mess of a game if memory serves.

As someone else mentioned, be careful with these titles if you buy and download from Steam etc. Some are horribly simplified to suit portable devices. Be sure to find the untampered versions.

[end of derailing thread]

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I failed to make my Thursday deadline. I spent about an hour trying to “slingshot” the monkeys from their lair. Forget that route. I made it to the windmill. Found a monkey that I named Jep. (I was unaware the need to backtrack once an area was completed. It’s hard enough navigating the current area without needing to find my way back to fire the bricks). Now I have to heal Jep. I wonder how many permutations/combinations of inventory items that will take. I’ve got three plus pages of stuff so far.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I know I said there’re no dead ends, but I may have found one - while replaying the first part of the game to check things about the score, I wasted all the coconuts I got at the beginning by smashing and spilling them. I ate all the other food (isn’t it strange how much Mina can eat?), and I was missing just one small portion of health. I don’t know if I missed anything (Eggs, Coconuts, Oysters, Crabs, Fish) but I couldn’t find anything else and I didn’t find the way to find more coconuts.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ll start the final part a bit more later today, as I will be on vacation for one week. If anyone needs more time to catch up please say so.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Regarding Kheops games, other than RtMI, I also played Destination: Treasure Island which is in the similar vein, even more lighthearted, The Secrets of Da Vinci which I found quite solid, portion of RtMI 2 which I found pleasing and I will definitely play it after this one. I heard praises of Dracula 3. Nostradamus and Safecracker are also on my to-do list.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Act 4: Nautilus

Ok, this part is longer than the previous one and a lot of logic puzzles are awaiting us. I was thinking of splitting it in two acts, but let’s put it in one, and I will give you 8 days to finish the game.. I will be back from vacation in one week, and I hope this is enough for everyone who started the game (or is just about to start and go in the fifth gear) to finish it. Good luck, sailors!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 06 August 2023 02:53 AM

I know I said there’re no dead ends, but I may have found one - while replaying the first part of the game to check things about the score, I wasted all the coconuts I got at the beginning by smashing and spilling them. I ate all the other food (isn’t it strange how much Mina can eat?), and I was missing just one small portion of health. I don’t know if I missed anything (Eggs, Coconuts, Oysters, Crabs, Fish) but I couldn’t find anything else and I didn’t find the way to find more coconuts.

Why did you smash all the coconuts when the game tells you you’re wasting good food? Bad diego. Tongue But you’re wrong, no dead end. Even you can survive on a desert island.

Solution: There are 5 oysters. The one with the pearl (the present from Nemo later) is harder to spot, but you can click on it. Open it with your knife or heat it in the fire, makes no difference, you get one health point.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Karlok - 06 August 2023 08:48 AM
diego - 06 August 2023 02:53 AM

Why did you smash all the coconuts when the game tells you you’re wasting good food? Bad diego. Tongue But you’re wrong, no dead end. Even you can survive on a desert island.

Solution: There are 5 oysters. The one with the pearl (the present from Nemo later) is harder to spot, but you can click on it. Open it with your knife or heat it in the fire, makes no difference, you get one health point.

They give you a point when you smash the coconut versus nothing for eating it if I remember correctly, so there is an incentive if you are a high score seeker Tongue.  I would think wasting good food shouldn’t be rewarded.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Ok got into the Nautilus after destroying all the robots.
It was fun finding creative ways to destroy them.
Some heavy spoilers ahead.
If you destroy one creatively you get 10 points. You can use the rifle as well, but that will only give you 3 points. If you use the bow and arrow, I think it gives you 7 points.
I destroyed one of the robots using lightning. One of them using the cannon. One using the falling branch. For the rest(like the one guarding the backward entrance of Granite house, and the one in the coconut trees areas, and the one guarding the Nautilus), I used the gun or the bows and errors. Is there a more creative way of destroying them? I also manufactured dynamite which you can combine with Jep, but didn’t know where to use it. Anyone used them against the robots?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top