• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Talos Principle 2

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The game has been released on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/835960/The_Talos_Principle_2/
Has anyone played it yet? It’s getting “overwhelmingly positive” reaction from gamers which is awesome. I did find some negative reviews where people claim the game is too story-driven and overly talkie now while the writing is not as good as it used to be. Not sure if it’s bad for a puzzle/adventure, although I did prefer the quietness of the first game with a focus on puzzles. But they also say that the world is huge now and a lot of time is spent running around open areas trying to find a puzzle to solve. Some even go as far as to call it “a walking simulator”  Gasp

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

It’s not a walking simulator; it’s a puzzle game with a story. People are weird.

About two thirds done with it personally, and I’m really enjoying it. You’re still going through hubs of puzzles like the first game. You just get some conversations between characters between that, and some other stuff that I won’t go into.

Definitely not too story-driven, and there’s a clear compass pointing at where the puzzles are, so you’re never trying to find something to solve - everything’s clearly labeled.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

The original Talos is undoubtedly my favorite game of all time, played it through 3 times and the Gehenna DLC.

Needless to say, I jumped on the sequel bandwagon as soon as it was announced, and I’ve been playing the past few days (at the same time I’m trying to finish the CPT!)

I’m only into the second main puzzle area.  Honestly, I spent the first 3 hours just wandering through the New Jerusalem city where the game begins; it’s basically a series of monuments to the entirety of the first game.  Rather cheeky, and there are some achievements to gain as well.  Frankly, I am just loving how the game feels like a more integrated experience overall.  The “new human” NPC’s are all distinctly drawn (although somewhat stereotypical personality types) and the voice acting is quite commendable.

Other aspects I find enjoyable:
- Just about every scene is a piece of eye candy, although you better have a GPU that can hum.  Performance is pleasant for me on a Steam Deck connected to monitor/TV.

- No more mines or turrets to worry about, which means no more timing-based challenges.

- The mystery at the heart of the narrative is unfolding at a measured pace; each puzzle solution triggers another small story nugget to reveal itself.

So far, IMHO it really is the best of all possible worlds…

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wonderful, thank you! Those complaints are probably coming from puzzle purists, although I’d say the first game had enough story elements to be called a borderline adventure. Can’t wait to play Talos 2. My main concern is also whether the game will run on my PC, but I will look into that.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The Talos Principle is one of my Top-10 adventure games of all time. I even proposed it for a AGCP, having The Talos Principle 2 release in mind. I am very excited to play it in the following weeks. The world was huge anyways (even more in The Road to Gehenna, one of the best expansion packs ever), so people finding TTP2 huge is amazing.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top