• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I completely agree! Thumbs Up  I liked it a lot as it was more of the same & never understood the negativity towards it.  Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

chrissie - 21 February 2022 03:04 PM

I completely agree! Thumbs Up  I liked it a lot as it was more of the same & never understood the negativity towards it.  Smile

There are some advantages to Broken Sword 2 actually over Broken Sword 1:

1) You spend a huge amount of time playing Nico, a real plus.

2) The story is NOT about the Templars.

It did sell very well when first released in 1997, despite the tepid reviews.

Suprisingly, the IOS remake got very positive reviews and it is not that much different than the original in my opinion.

It is one of the best IOS adventure games, the interface works perfectly and the small additions they did make like the hint system really help the game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2096

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I also enjoyed BS2 back in the day, there was plenty of new content for a sequel released just a year after the original game, even with weaker story and puzzles (those sequences with Nico were very brief, close to modern interactive movies). Of course, I played it because I loved the original BS, I had no idea that reviewers hated it and I wouldn’t really care - same as many other gamers I assume. Not sure how I’d rate it today after my fiasco with the first game, some things should be buried in the past.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Doom - 22 February 2022 05:11 AM

I also enjoyed BS2 back in the day, there was plenty of new content for a sequel released just a year after the original game, even with weaker story and puzzles (those sequences with Nico were very brief, close to modern interactive movies). Of course, I played it because I loved the original BS, I had no idea that reviewers hated it and I wouldn’t really care - same as many other gamers I assume. Not sure how I’d rate it today after my fiasco with the first game, some things should be buried in the past.

I do have a PC copy bought in 1997, I was amazed the game came out so quickly after BS1, just one year later. It was a best seller at the time.

It was a favorite of mine in 1997. I was shocked it got terrible reviews. I wonder if it will even run on a modern computer.

Sadly, at the time BS3 came out, it got better reviews but sold far less copies, same with BS4. Broken Sword games were not best sellers any longer. However, the graphics in these installments were amazing at the time.

And as everyone knows BS5 came out and seemed to be almost a direct sequel to BS2. It was a true return to form for me.

I should have BS2 finished today, another replay of BS5 sounds like a plan.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2096

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Adv_Lvr - 22 February 2022 08:51 AM

I do have a PC copy bought in 1997, I was amazed the game came out so quickly after BS1, just one year later. It was a best seller at the time.

It was a favorite of mine in 1997. I was shocked it got terrible reviews. I wonder if it will even run on a modern computer.

Me too. Good thing I wasn’t reading game mags back in 1997 Smile My absolute favourite game that year was Zork: Grand Inquisitor though, it was like a portal to another world, while BS2 felt more like a new cool chapter of the same adventure.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2010-03-22

PM

Just played Lost in Play demo.

Some of the most charming and beauty animations in the genre, it has an incredible happy vibe!

While a bit on the easy side, it’s clean and entertaining and never overstay its welcome! :-)

I put it in my wishlist.

Try it, if you can. ;-)

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Doom - 22 February 2022 12:53 PM

Me too. Good thing I wasn’t reading game mags back in 1997 Smile My absolute favourite game that year was Zork: Grand Inquisitor though, it was like a portal to another world, while BS2 felt more like a new cool chapter of the same adventure.

I played the Zork game too back in the day and still have a copy of it. Yes, it’s a better game. It’s probably the best adventure released that year.

I gotta try and see if I can get these games to run somehow. Zork would be perfect for a CPT.

Heart

Total Posts: 528

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Adv_Lvr - 22 February 2022 06:46 PM

I played the Zork game too back in the day and still have a copy of it. Yes, it’s a better game. It’s probably the best adventure released that year.

I gotta try and see if I can get these games to run somehow. Zork would be perfect for a CPT.

Heart

Broken Sword 2 (and 1) and Zork: Grand Inquisitor (and Return to Zork and Nemesis) run well on ScummVM.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Veovis - 23 February 2022 10:18 AM
Adv_Lvr - 22 February 2022 06:46 PM

Heart

Broken Sword 2 (and 1) and Zork: Grand Inquisitor (and Return to Zork and Nemesis) run well on ScummVM.

Sounds like I need to download ScummVM then. Sounds like fun.

Heart

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Adv_Lvr - 23 February 2022 11:51 AM

Sounds like I need to download ScummVM then. Sounds like fun.

An adventure gamer that DOESN’T already have ScummVM???!!!??? Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Finished Broken Sword 2, as stated previously, I enjoyed it, great fun with some very challenging puzzles.

Now I’m played Secret Files 3, not the best game going by reviews, but I played the previous games so off we go. Good points are graphics and interface are excellent. However, plot is ho hum and the story we’ve heard it before.

Kinda a poor mans Broken Sword game. Anyway, fun so far actually, puzzles are fun and different so I’m enjoying myself.

Heart

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

So… I started playing SOMA…

I can’t handle horror games. I had to disable the monster in Miasmata to play that game. I just finished The Last of Us on easy and was still sweating bullets. And now I’m actually playing a Frictional Game.
There is no way in hell that I could play Amnesia: The Dark Descent without suffering one heart attack after another (not to mention soiling my pants repeatedly). But this time they added a “Safe Mode” where the monsters are still there, but they no longer hurt you. They can still follow you and creep you out, but they won’t kill you.

Frankly, even on “Safe Mode”, SOMA is plenty scary already. The game is absolutely terrifying, even without the danger of getting killed at any time…

Fun fact: my heart rate gets elevated enough during these games to make my Fitbit watch think I’m doing light exercising. Tongue

Why do I keep doing this to myself?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7466

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I haven’t played anything this year. Lost interest. So of course I’m the last person in the world of adventure games to discover the new TWAU2 trailer. I thought it had been cancelled. BIGBY!  Heart Eyes  Heart  Great trailer, but they should have put Snow in it too. No Bigby without Snow.

And now I have to wait another year. At best. Probably much longer…  Embarassed

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 1687

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I played the demo of crowns and pawns kingdom of deceit, now with voice overs and I am impressed and excited to see what they do with the game I really enjoyed the voice acting.

The lip syncing is not good and some of the animation needs to be added and smoothed, but the story has intrigued me enough to check it out when it comes out

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

TimovieMan - 27 February 2022 02:38 AM

So… I started playing SOMA…

But this time they added a “Safe Mode” where the monsters are still there, but they no longer hurt you. They can still follow you and creep you out, but they won’t kill you.

Soma is one of my favorite games ever.  The creators know that dying too many times and seeing a Game Over screen breaks the immersion of the game, which is critical to building the tense horror.  So the game is very well designed such that even without “Safe Mode” I only died a few times throughout the whole game.  You’re actually in less danger than it appears, but of course the game isn’t telling you that (it’s trying to scare you after all). 

The horror in Soma is more existential and philosophical (the horror of your situation, what has happened to you, your identity, and what it says about the nature of being). 

In Amnesia Rebirth on the other hand, there were several monster encounters where I couldn’t figure out what I was supposed to do quickly enough and wound up dying a lot.  That definitely takes you out of the experience…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top