• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

In the Love of Roberta Williams

Poll: The biggest hit for Roberta Williams
Total Votes: 94
King’s Quest I: Quest for the Crown
King’s Quest II: Romancing the Throne
King’s Quest III: To Heir Is Human
King’s Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella
King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!
King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
King’s Quest VII: The Princeless Bride
Shivers
Laura Bow: The Colonel’s Bequest
Laura Bow in The Dagger of Amon Ra
Phantasmagoria 1

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Zifnab - 08 May 2013 08:49 AM
Dag - 08 May 2013 08:41 AM
Zifnab - 08 May 2013 06:47 AM

Hi res 2D looks awful.

Only if the painting itself is awful. Though I agree that the MI1 remake didn’t look very good, the MI2 remake looked quite nice, but none of them are good examples of goodlooking Hi res 2D if you ask me. Can you honestly say that the backgrounds of such games as A Vampire Story or Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island looked awful? If so, then you are hereby excommunicated from the Ist Church of 2D-hi-res-background-evaluation Tongue

You have a point. The reason I say most 2D HD remakes look terrible and are always worse is because they don’t have their own style, and they trace the originals with too few changes. That’s what MI1 did, and MI2 was better because it tried to do its own thing more, although not enough in my opinion.

Remakes shouldn’t feel the need to replicate every screen from every angle. They need to realize they are different games, and people who loved the original aren’t going to hate the remake because it changes a few things any more than they are going to love it because it copies things exactly.

I agree with you now Smile Just look at the toilet screen in LSL-Reloaded, from what I’ve seen so far, it’s the only screen that has been painted in an entirely different angle from the original, and also the only screen that doesn’t use the straight-on one point perspective, and as a result it stands out as much more interesting than the other screenshots (it does to me atleast). A beautiful toilet indeed… Tongue I’m a fan of odd angles. Bill Tiller allways paints his stuff using odd angles, and I believe that’s part of the reason why his artwork is so interesting.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I believe one of the reasons why Larry Reloaded used similar angles and screen layouts is because of the limited time and budget involved. I believe Josh Mandel commented on this. They were able to get started much sooner on backgrounds and design, since they were not having to rearrange everything.

Still, I think you would be hard-pressed to say that the hi res Larry Reloaded backgrounds are not worlds better and way more detailed than the previous versions. The full-screen art and animation looks amazing on the screen when playing. Definitely superior to the Monkey Island remakes. The shrunken, static screenshots really don’t do the art justice.

I think that the Larry Reloaded 2 art will seem all-new, since there never was a VGA version to compare it to.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

there is quote by/or referred to be said by Roberta Williams that circulates fairly broadly on the internet and i thought 100s time (for a change) before making this post,

“I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More “average” people now feel they should own one”.

i thought why bring up something could that lead to a hassle more than a benefit , but then i thought NO that this quote is actually used at her Wikipedia with no reference and a dead link ... i searched the net for 2 hours using different keywords to get to any lead where is that quote is taken from, at her Wiki it said that its from Roberta Williams Interview”. Gamer’s Depot. 1999. Archived from the original on 1999-11-27. Retrieved 2007.but Gamer’s Depot forgotten and has no data for that interview.

But after searching i got a lead!,  an article called

The Mixed Up Files Of Mrs. Roberta S. Williams was written at old man Murray and here i sighed as that itself even proven to me that this is nothing but a lie or at least something maybe (just maybe) she said somewhere ,someplace, at some conversation , or out of context against her but one thing diffidently that its not from an interview.

Listen to this,i tracked old man Murray and asked some people that shared the time of Sierra with Ken an ‘berta and what i came up with made me 100% sure that this is all about hate

anonymous I know this guy “old man muray” - he was a big Infocom fan and never got over it when Infocom went out of business He blames Sierra for it. At one point Sierra was thinking of buying Infocom and he went really irrationally balistic about it. Since then he’s always been a bit of an A-hole. (Actually a big A-hole.) You’d think 25 years later he’d find a new axe to grind. Picking on Roberta because she has a place in Mexico and want’s to learn the language? How petty can you be? As for that quote, I believe it was taken a bit out of context.

i can not provide the reference or the name of who said this , as i actually didn’t have the courage to ask him/her for permission but i know who is he/she to believe what he is say.

where is the reference even that article is not original it said it was retrieved and taken from Old Man Murray so, isn’t there any chance of 0.1% that it had been cheated ,add a word here or there (you all know that sick stuff) to change meanings

There is no Prove that she said something like that, and these things at these times to be brought up by common sense are only trying to get to someone’s reputation and history,
the word ‘average’ had been used to get from Roberta Williams, some people (a lot) at mentally ill and trying to achieve that for many sick reasons .. no need to explain.
and no need to link there Tweets and Comments.

So what can we benefit out of this,what can we do to keep Roberta’s History clean for us and the new and upcoming generations i think simplest think is to contact Wikipedia ask to remove that Quote , i did my share, but if any one else care, should do the same (if!).

Thanks, and God Bless Roberta Williams !

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Advie, can you finally change your avatar to this?

Or maybe this?

Please?

Grin (I love Roberta too. If you don’t I will)

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Honestly, I found much of the reverence for Roberta Williams a tad bit overdone.

Most of her games are pretty mediocre….and I read once that some of the credit for KQ6 should go to Jane Jensen, who did most of the writing.

But if people want to show their love for her, then by all means…...it’s just that the title of this thread makes it look like she died….I had to look it up to be sure :-)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

subbi - 11 June 2013 04:39 PM

Honestly, I found much of the reverence for Roberta Williams a tad bit overdone.

Most of her games are pretty mediocre….and I read once that some of the credit for KQ6 should go to Jane Jensen, who did most of the writing.

But if people want to show their love for her, then by all means…...it’s just that the title of this thread makes it look like she died….I had to look it up to be sure :-)

Actually, compared with Jensen she doesn’t get much reverence at all. Not as much as she should.

She was always at the forefront, breaking ground and wanting to move forward and not stand still. Jensen never did anything as ambitious as Mystery House or Time Zone. Even Mask of Eternity, despite its failure, was a very bold game to risk making. Adventure games owe a lot to her.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Being the boss’ wife didn’t hurt things, either.

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I meant reverence judging from conversations on this site /in this thread.

I agree from a historical perspective she was a pioneer for adventure games, pushing the technological developments, but to me adventure games are more than just the innovative tech part.

I always felt that once adventure games became more mature in terms of scope and writing, (starting in the early 90’s) her games were not among the best. KQ6 is the obvious exception, but as confirmed by most people, that is more due to Jane Jensen’s involvement than her’s.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

subbi - 12 June 2013 05:40 AM

I always felt that once adventure games became more mature in terms of scope and writing, (starting in the early 90’s) her games were not among the best.

Well if Phantasmagoria is more mature than Time Zone then personally, I’d be looking for the best among her less mature works.

You’re right though, her achievements were not in the area of storywriting. I think she admitted that a few times in some of her interviews.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

Laura Bow II is my favorite adventure game ever, but I think that might have as much to do with Lorelei Shannon’s work on it as Roberta’s (don’t get me wrong - obviously the larger concept and Sierra’s existence itself depended on the work/presence of the latter).  I’m just discovering that LS might be my favorite Sierra (semi-) unsung hero.  There are aspects to the storytelling in LB II, KQ 7, and Phantasmagoria II (yes, you read that last one correctly! I find the storytelling/writing - particularly the character development - in that game, especially in the earlier parts thereof, to be very much underrated) that really appeal to me, and LS was apparently involved significantly in developing the narrative, etc. of all three.  I also just discovered that she’s written a couple novels and am really looking forward to reading them.  Laughing

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

as a react (1st of all) to Sierra shutdown 1999, and 2ndly to those articles which tried get of to Roberta’s Image.

i found a letter From Jane Jansen October 4, 1999 and Interview with the Queen
Jane Jensen’s Love Letter
Interview:  Roberta Williams#1Interview:  Roberta Williams#2

to clarify why am i concerned about this and why now, simply i am feeling the obligation to do this just for the record .. when a day come and a new generation who haven’t ever played or heard any of Sierra’s and esp. Roberta’s and start talking about Adventure gaming start and most fear is to take out of Roberta’s Credits or attach it to someone else . ...
also I see some people think that Roberta was just like anyone else at Sierra (with all my the respect to each one) but this incident might explain a little of that, when sierra shut and Ken wasn’t the CEO anymore Roberta continued , and when Al and Scott , Mark and James gathered to discuss their intellectual Rights they all came to one conclusion, that they shouldn’t worry as Roberta Still at/with the Sierra Business .

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

??? I thought we were discussing the merits of Roberta’s games…

What are you worried about? She had her day in the spotlight, gotten more money than god out of it and is enjoying life on a sailboat. Lighten up!

You sound like a lovesick puppy for crying out loud:-)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

So you’re suggesting that this irrelevant ?
anyway please Behave.

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Irrelevant? Your love for Roberta Williams? Nah….to each his own, as they say Naughty

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

This thread is the very definition of “hero worship.” 

Let’s have a reality check, shall we?  She was the boss’ wife, and as such, had unprecedented creative freedom in the early years of Sierra, but throughout her tenure, she had help from many, MANY other talented people, who arguably contributed more to her best games’ success than she did.  In the waning years of Sierra, she didn’t make a single game that was nearly as good as the ones that came before, and her desire to always be “at the forefront of technology” pushed Sierra to make some of the worst design decisions imaginable for their hot franchises (FMV and 3D Action being the most notable.)

I’m as grateful for Roberta’s contributions to adventure gaming as the next guy, but let’s stop with the “goddess on a pedestal” crap, please.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top