• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Charophycean - 23 February 2022 01:56 AM

When the game gave me the quest of finding a man outside a mansion, yet doesn’t even let me open on the door to go outside - I decided an entire game’s worth of this kind of thing wasn’t going to be worth it.

Hmmm, I am curious what you mean exactly, which quest. I cannot remember such a situation.
In any case, if you would ever pick up the game again and would like help, I would gladly offer it :-)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished Leasure Suit Larry Reloaded. The game is really short. You can complete it in 4 - 5 hours easy. What there is is pretty good, nice graphics and quite funny. This game is simply a remake of the first, and is it’s second remake. The two Larry games by Crazybunch are much better (longer, better plot) and I’d play them first.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Finished Conway: Disappearance at Dahlia View which I mostly enjoyed although there were times where I really had to push myself to continue. I like the core idea of an ex-detective in a wheelchair spying on his neighbours after a girl goes missing in the neighbourhood but the game shoots itself in its foot by having your character be an absolute moron who is constantly swayed by the most obvious of red herrings and whose entire investigation style is literally just breaking & entering and thievery. Puzzles are mostly clever although there was an awful lot of pixel hunting which is hard to forgive in a game made in 2021.

It does seem like this could be the start of a franchise and I do think there’s potential for a great sequel here.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Just finished The Wolf Among Us. What a game. What a story. It won some Aggies, all well deserved. Can’t wait for The Wolf Among Us 2, it will be epic.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I loved the game myself very much - it was a little different to what I was used to but it hooked me from the beginning!    Smile

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I haven’t played in a while, but I have recently finished this little game - Cleo - A Pirate’s Tale

It was splendid. Made by a solo developer point’n'click that while does get inspiration from all the classics still has its own unique story going on. Heartwarming and thought-provoking.  Good, engaging puzzles that are fun to solve, plus an interesting card mini-game that is a part of the story, (repeated maybe about 3 times throughout the entire game, so nothing too crazy). Well-written characters with layers of depth and fantastic (on indie level) voice-over.

If I played it last year when it came out - it would have made my top 5 for that year.
Highly recommend for anyone looking for some adventuring along the classic lines. Steam has a demo of this game, so check it out if you’re on the fence.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I really enjoyed Cleo D. It relies a little too much on its own nostalgia for Monkey Island and perhaps Zelda but if you don’t care much about originality, it’s a fun game.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Charophycean - 25 March 2022 08:45 PM

I really enjoyed Cleo D. It relies a little too much on its own nostalgia for Monkey Island and perhaps Zelda but if you don’t care much about originality, it’s a fun game.

There are definitely nods not to just many adventure classics, but also cinema. Depending on one’s mood it can be either “meh, I’m over it” or “Nice! Love those games”. This time around it was in the latter for me. I did feel like it had a fairly unique story that is kind of quilt of everything else and that in itself what made it quite original in my humble opinion. And I really like the conclusion at the end - what makes a great story. If I’m going off that - it’s the best story ever made Wink
At the same time, I’ve never played Zelda, so I don’t know if something’s borrowed from there.

I’m glad you enjoyed it, it’s a really charming game. But, yes, I always recommend the demo if available (and it is in this case) to see if it’s the right fit.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Backbone which starts off as a very atmospheric noir mystery with branching dialogue and puzzles with multiple solutions but then progressively gets more linear as it goes along until spectacularly flaming out at the end with one of the worst final thirds I’ve ever seen a game have. I guess they deserve credit for trying something unconventional but it is a complete failure.

Total Posts: 7451

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ve had lots of fun with Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus? FMV, choice-based interactive movie. (IMO this one would be perfect for Mrs Walas.) It’s your job to find out who poisoned Uncle Marcus. It’s actually one big zoom session with 8 members of an incredibly disfunctional family. Unpleasant people, with maybe one or two exceptions. The over-the-top acting is excellent and matches the story perfectly.

You have to play the game many times and develop a different strategy for each family member to get them to open up and give you the info you need. It’s a good thing that the game lets you skip scenes you’ve already watched. Not a perfect game, but very entertaining.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Karlok - 29 March 2022 05:30 AM

I’ve had lots of fun with Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus? FMV, choice-based interactive movie. (IMO this one would be perfect for Mrs Walas.) It’s your job to find out who poisoned Uncle Marcus. It’s actually one big zoom session with 8 members of an incredibly disfunctional family. Unpleasant people, with maybe one or two exceptions. The over-the-top acting is excellent and matches the story perfectly.

You have to play the game many times and develop a different strategy for each family member to get them to open up and give you the info you need. It’s a good thing that the game lets you skip scenes you’ve already watched. Not a perfect game, but very entertaining.

I’m playing this game as we speak, You are spot on, I enjoyed reading your comments, the game is very funny, can’t stop playing it, quite addicting.

Heart

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

the genre lives! Smile

Total Posts: 7451

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I feel a strong urge to comment on the review of Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus. Starting a new thread about a game only two people have showed any interest in is overdoing it, so I’ll vent my criticism here. The AG reviewer didn’t like the game much (2.5 stars), which is of course fine. But I have a problem with his reasons why.

Next to zero actual gameplay. An interactive movie is just that: a MOVIE. The player has a few seconds to influence the story by choosing which cut scene will be shown next. That’s it. So the reviewer is in fact complaining about an IM being an IM. It’s like being disappointed that there isn’t any shooting or platforming in Monkey Island.

Everything is guesswork and trial and error, and there’s never a way of knowing what result an answer will trigger. Yes, you watch scenes first and then decide if you want more or different info. But getting info is NOT simply guesswork! I don’t want to give anything away, so I’ll use one of my favorite IMs (actually more of a SIM hybrid), In The 1st Degree as an example. The player has to develop different strategies for interrogating different witnesses: Confronting person A will give you the result you’re after, while person B will shut up like a clam when intimidated. Same here. After watching a few scenes with a family member you should get an idea what approach will work.

After three or four playthroughs of not choosing properly, I took a pen and pad and made decision branches of each round. Once I unlocked each piece of evidence in that round, I would move on. If not, I would start over and choose differently. It sucks the fun out and makes playing a chore. That’s the equivalent of trying every inventory object on everything. True, not much fun. Tongue

I get the impression the reviewer has never played an IM before. Or if he has, he doesn’t care for this genre. No problem.  But maybe let someone else review Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Karlok - 04 April 2022 05:51 AM

I feel a strong urge to comment on the review of Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus. Starting a new thread about a game only two people have showed any interest in is overdoing it, so I’ll vent my criticism here. The AG reviewer didn’t like the game much (2.5 stars), which is of course fine. But I have a problem with his reasons why.

Next to zero actual gameplay. An interactive movie is just that: a MOVIE. The player has a few seconds to influence the story by choosing which cut scene will be shown next. That’s it. So the reviewer is in fact complaining about an IM being an IM. It’s like being disappointed that there isn’t any shooting or platforming in Monkey Island.

Everything is guesswork and trial and error, and there’s never a way of knowing what result an answer will trigger. Yes, you watch scenes first and then decide if you want more or different info. But getting info is NOT simply guesswork! I don’t want to give anything away, so I’ll use one of my favorite IMs (actually more of a SIM hybrid), In The 1st Degree as an example. The player has to develop different strategies for interrogating different witnesses: Confronting person A will give you the result you’re after, while person B will shut up like a clam when intimidated. Same here. After watching a few scenes with a family member you should get an idea what approach will work.

After three or four playthroughs of not choosing properly, I took a pen and pad and made decision branches of each round. Once I unlocked each piece of evidence in that round, I would move on. If not, I would start over and choose differently. It sucks the fun out and makes playing a chore. That’s the equivalent of trying every inventory object on everything. True, not much fun. Tongue

I get the impression the reviewer has never played an IM before. Or if he has, he doesn’t care for this genre. No problem.  But maybe let someone else review Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus.

Thank you so much for writing this. I myself loved the game and thought it deserved more than 2.5 stars. It does have a score of 75 on metacrtic which is quite favorable.

Heart

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

Just finished a second playthrough of Moebius, Empire rising.
When I see steam game for which I did not get all achievements, I feel an urge to replay it. I did’t get all achievemnts though :-)

As the first time, I really like this game. The character animation is quite clumsy, but the story is good, and I also like the characters (inclusing the character of the main person, which is often described as unlikable).

The puzzles fit in the story, and are doable without a walkthrough (in contrary to many years ago, I don;t like anymore to be puzzled for many hours on a single puzzle).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top