• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

List of FMV adventures and interactive movies

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

Nice list for a wonderful genre! Heart

a couple of years ago I also attempted the same and made a top50 list of FMVs, although I’m sure I could have added a lot more in it!

Part 1 & Part 2

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

I’ve only enjoyed a few FMVs. Either the action was good, the film material was exciting or it was really funny. The vast majority are neither cinematically convincing, nor are they good adventure games, nor do they dare to be brilliantly funny or stupid. A list for people who normally avoid FMVs might be interesting.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

The Psychotron (1994)
The Elk Moon Murders
Shrelock Holmes: Case of the Rose Tattoo

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

@Skywalker: Had a look at your lists. I agree with most of your recommendations. I also noticed that your definition of the word FMV is different from mine. Yours is the correct one, I believe. But many people, yours truly included, interpret FMV games as having real-life actors.

Added a few more. The Elk Moon Murder was already listed under Santa Fe Mysteries.

jsfx - 16 January 2024 05:19 AM

I’ve only enjoyed a few FMVs. Either the action was good, the film material was exciting or it was really funny. The vast majority are neither cinematically convincing, nor are they good adventure games, nor do they dare to be brilliantly funny or stupid. A list for people who normally avoid FMVs might be interesting.

It’s not easy to recommend games to people who do not enjoy FMV in general. So which games did you like? There Is No Game has very little FMV and is a must-play for every adventure fan.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Hmm. For instance:

Bandersnatch (production values)
Dragon’s Lair (arcade action)
Tender Loving Care (erotica)
Crime Patrol / Press X to Not Die (goofy)
Zork Grand: Inquisitor (fun)
Myst (good adventure)
7th Guest VR (VR)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

jsfx - 16 January 2024 07:41 AM

Hmm. For instance:

Bandersnatch (production values)
Dragon’s Lair (arcade action)
Tender Loving Care (erotica)
Crime Patrol / Press X to Not Die (goofy)
Zork Grand: Inquisitor (fun)
Myst (good adventure)
7th Guest VR (VR)

Have you checked the first post in the thread?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Okay, here are my very subjective recommendations.

People who enjoyed Myst should at the very least play Riven. If you like Riven, go for Myst Exile and Obduction. (FMV cut scenes)
Play as a cockroach in Bad Mojo (3rd-person, FMV cut scenes).
Spycraft (fully FMV) has very good, unique puzzles.
A funny, over-the-top Interactive Movie with excellent actors is Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus.
The acting in Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within (3rd-person,fully FMV) is over the top in a bad way, but it has a great story.
Oldie Obsidian (FMV cut scenes) is another unique one. It has excellent puzzles and is quite funny as well.
The Tex Murphy series (FMV cut scenes), with the exception of the first two games.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2019-02-12

PM

Excellent suggestions, Karlok 👍

I neither know of nor have played Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus. Worth a look perhaps.

Live your wildest dreams;
Take a leap, or climb, run or fly.
You may fall;
But anything is better than falling .. standing still.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I think Late Shift is a good game to start with.
It’s very good from the technological point of view, HD and everything, with professional actors, and it doesn’t have any annoying puzzles where you need to repeat the same thing over and over again.

In fact, you can just watch it as movie, because if you don’t make a selection, then the game will make it for you.

Someone new to FMV might of course consider starting from a different genre altogether, like Wing Commander III or Wing Commander IV, or Star Wars: Rebel Assault, depending on what kind of games they like otherwise.

Karlok - 16 January 2024 07:28 AM

@Skywalker: Had a look at your lists. I agree with most of your recommendations. I also noticed that your definition of the word FMV is different from mine. Yours is the correct one, I believe. But many people, yours truly included, interpret FMV games as having real-life actors.

Yeah, that caught my eye as well.
I suppose from the technical point of view hand-drawn animation is FMV, just like some film cut with live actors would be.

But in most cases FMV probably refers to real people (not always actors!) being in the video. Whether that’s the right or wrong usage of the term, can be debated.
It’s a bit like 2.5D, it means different things to different people. (I personally think it’s 3D character models in an environment which is locked to 2D view, as in no free movement in all directions or camera rotation.)

I’ve only enjoyed a few FMVs. Either the action was good, the film material was exciting or it was really funny.

(Yes, I re-quoted that part again on purpose.)

There are those kinds of games available, but you have to do a little work to find them. They aren’t usually listed anywhere, and as is the case with Karlok’s list, sometimes on purpose.

Anyway, there’s a recently released (about a month ago) comedy FMV adventure, which might be funny. I don’t own it, so I can’t personally recommend it.

Spider Mall!
“A night of urban exploration goes wrong for Explorer X as he finds himself trapped in an abandoned shopping mall facing off against security guards and a giant hungry spider. You make the choices in this live action bodycam FMV game. Escape the mall or die trying!”

Can there possibly any more convincing selling points than this:
“The world’s first giant spider in shopping mall FMV game!”
Tongue

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Thanks. I’ll look into some of these.

After finishing Myst VR I had a look at Riven, but the VR version makes a difference and somehow Riven felt like work to me. Obduction was mostly nice. I played Bad Mojo already and Tex Murphy didn’t work for me. I tried to play Gabriel Knight last year, but it felt too dated.

So, if possible, I’ll check out The Elk Moon Murder, Obsidian and Late Shift. I also haven’t played Mission Critical yet.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Gabriel - 16 January 2024 09:09 AM

I neither know of nor have played Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus. Worth a look perhaps.

I think you said you haven’t played many recent adventures. In that case a seasoned adventurer like you should definitely play There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension. It’s a funny parody of our beloved genre, among other things. With good puzzles. 

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the FMV game made about me:

Flesh Eating Geriatric Internet Predator (Let’s Go to the Grindhouse) (2021) (WIN) Wink

There are countless FMV games, but here are some that probably aren’t on many people’s radar:

Choose Their Kill Eps 1-7 (Ocular Migraine Productions) (2015) (DVD)
Final Destination 3: Choose Their Fate (Hard Eight Pictures) (2006) (DVD)
Hysteria Project 1 (Bulkypix) (2009) (PSP)
Hysteria Project 2 (Bulkypix) (2011) (PSP)
It’s My Party and I’ll Die If I Want To (Scotchworthy Productions) (2007) (DVD)
Psycho Killer (Delta 4 Interactive) (1992) (CDTV, DOS)
Return to House on Haunted Hill: Play Your Version (Dark Castle Home Entertainment) (2007) (BLU)
Treasure Island Interactive (Hollywood Interactive) (1995) (WIN)
Terror T.R.A.X. 1: Track of the Vampire (Ground Zero Productions) (1995) (WIN)

There are also some that are animated instead of live action like:

Batman: Death in the Family - Interactive Movie (Warner Brothers Animation) (2020) (BLU)
Choose Your Own Nightmare 1: The Evil Pen Pal (Brilliant Digital Entertainment) (1999) (WIN)
Choose Your Own Nightmare 2: The Curse of the Mummy (Brilliant Digital Entertainment) (1999) (DVD, WIN)
Choose Your Own Nightmare 3: Night of the Werewolf (Brilliant Digital Entertainment) (1999) (DVD, WIN)
Choose Your Own Nightmare 4: The Halloween Party (Brilliant Digital Entertainment) (1999) (WIN)
Choose Your Own Nightmare 5: How I Became a Freak (Brilliant Digital Entertainment) (1999) (DVD, WIN)
Choose Your Own Nightmare 6: The Bite of the Vampire (Brilliant Digital Entertainment) (1999) (WIN)

There are some adult oriented ones like:

Days of Oblivion 1 (Toygardens Media) (1996) (WIN)
Days of Oblivion 2: Frozen Eternity (Orion Versand) (2000) (WIN)
Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties (United Pixtures) (1994) (3DO, WIN)
Slaughtered Roommates (Wave Productions) (1999) (WIN)
Vampire’s Kiss (Digital Playground) (1994) (WIN)
WanderLust (a.k.a. CyberDreams) (EMedia) (1994) (WIN)

And here are some more that I didn’t see on the list:

Adventures of Pinocchio, The (Powerhouse Entertainment) (1996) (WIN)
Area D: Danger Island (Dosch Design) (1997) (WIN)
Blown Away (Imagination Pilots) (1994) (WIN)
Book of Watermarks, The (Arc Entertainment) (1999) (PS1)
D.A.: Pursuit of Justice Case 1 – The Sunset Boulevard Deuce (Legacy Software) (1997) (WIN)
D.A.: Pursuit of Justice Case 2 – The Gatsby Diamond Jewelry Theft (Legacy Software) (1997) (WIN)
D.A.: Pursuit of Justice Case 3 – The Rat Tattoo Murder (Legacy Software) (1997) (WIN)
Don’t Quit Your Day Job (Improvisation ManyMedia) (1996) (WIN)
Foul Play: Mystery at Awkward Manor (The Armchair Travel Company) (1995) (WIN)
Goosebumps: Escape from Horrorland (DreamWorks Interactive) (1996) (WIN)
Hercules & Xena Learning Adventure: Quest for the Scrolls (Sound Source Interactive) (1997) (WIN)
Jump: The David Bowie Interactive CD-ROM (Ion) (1994) (WIN)
Jungle Book (Powerhouse Entertainment) (1996) (WIN)
Origins of the Puppet Master (Full Moon Digital Media) (1996) (WIN)
Prince Interactive (Graphix Zone) (1994) (WIN)
Promised Land (MediaX, Queensrÿche) (1996) (WIN)
Relics: Dark Hours (Subdued Games) (2011) (WIN)
Rolling Stones: Voodoo Lounge (Second Vision) (1995) (WIN)
Snow Job (IXL Interactive Excellence) (1995) (3DO)
Team Xtreme 1: Operation Weather Disaster (Human Code) (1995) (WIN)
Team Xtreme 2: Operation Eco-Nightmare (Human Code) (1997) (WIN)
Trev to the Rescue (a.k.a. Trev’s Excellent Adventure) (PowerVision) (1997) (WIN)
Virtual Murder 1꞉ Who Killed Sam Rupert (Creative Multimedia) (1993) (WIN)
Virtual Murder 2꞉ The Magic Death (Creative Multimedia) (1993) (WIN)
Virtual Murder 3꞉ Who Killed Bret Penance – The Environmental Surfer (Creative Multimedia) (1994) (WIN)
Virtual Murder 4꞉ Who Killed Taylor French – The Case of the Undressed Reporter (Creative Multimedia) (1994) (WIN)
Xplora 1: Peter Gabriel’s Secret World (Real World Multimedia) (1993) (WIN)

Here’s a small sample of some that are not in English:

Ankh 1: The Mystery of the Pyramid (Ankh: Pyramid no Nazo) (Jap) (Ibis) (1995) (WIN)
Ankh 2: The Mystery of Tutankhamen (Ankh 2: Tutankhamen no Nazo) (Jap) (Ibis) (1996) (WIN)
Blindness (Ita) (DedaloMedia Interactive) (1996) (WIN)
Cursed Game, The (The Noroi no Game) (Jap) (HuneX) (2005) (PS2)
Executioner: Sinister Horror (Палач꞉ Зловещий Ужас) (Rus) (Korban Laser Games) (2001) (WIN)
Fear, The (Jap) (Digital Frontier) (2001) (PS2)
Kyoutarou Nishimura Travel Mystery: Season of Treachery – The Tokyo~Nanki-Shirahama Serial Murder Case (Jap) (Pack-In-Video) (1994) (3DO)
Mansion of Fear (Kyoufu no Yashiki) (Jap) (Billikin Soft) (1999) (PS1)
MA-RI-A: The Curse of the Puppet Museum (MA-RI-A: Ningyoukan no Noroi) (Jap) (Nikkei Visual Images) (1996) (WIN)
Midnight Taxi (Mayonaka no Taxi) (Jap) (Billikin Soft) (2000) (PS1)
Moon Cradle: Monstrous Bride (Moon Cradle: Igyou no Hanayome) (Jap) (Tose) (1995) (3DO)
Night Head: The Labyrinth (Jap) (Scitron & Art) (1995) (PS1)
No・Ri・Ko (Jap) (Alfa System) (1988) (PCECD)
Obelisk: Project Oscar (Jap) (Oscar Promotion) (1996) (WIN)
Orgaslave (Jap) (Piston Entertainment) (1996) (WIN)
School Ghost Stories (Gakkou no Kaidan) (Jap) (Japan Media Programming) (1995) (SAT)
Shine: The Fear Has a Name (Shine: Die Angst hat einen Namen) (Ger) (Chilli) (1996) (WIN)
Time Warp: An Erotic Journey Through Time (Time Warp: Eine Erotische Zeitreise) (Ger) (Orion Versand) (1997) (WIN)
Tokyo Shadow (Jap) (High-Tech Lab Japan) (1996) (PS1)
Unsolved, The (Jap) (Japan Media Programming) (1997) (SAT)

This barely even scratches the surface, but that’s probably more than anyone wanted to see anyway…

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

W…O…W…

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

D - 17 January 2024 03:57 PM

Long list of games…

And not to forget Alice in Wonderland (2000):

D, ain’t it funny, you and me together added 70 games to the list. Which reminds me of a joke:

An elephant and a mouse are walking across a bridge…
The mouse looks up at the elephant and says, “Boy, we sure are making this bridge shake!”

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2019-02-12

PM

Sounds good. I’ll give it a go. 👍👍

Karlok - 17 January 2024 05:54 AM
Gabriel - 16 January 2024 09:09 AM

I think you said you haven’t played many recent adventures. In that case a seasoned adventurer like you should definitely play There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension. It’s a funny parody of our beloved genre, among other things. With good puzzles.

Live your wildest dreams;
Take a leap, or climb, run or fly.
You may fall;
But anything is better than falling .. standing still.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top