• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

It’s getting out of hand - 5 stars games are everywhere!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Just the first page of Adventure Gamers reviews (the last couple of months) reveals 6 (six!) adventure games with a perfect score! Now, you may call me paranoid and crazy and ask: Isn’t that what we wanted from our beloved genre to provide?, but I’m a little suspicious even though I haven’t played those games (Universe for Sale, The Will of Arhtur Flabbington, Three Minutes to Eight, Jusant, Isle Tide Hotel, Gerda: A Flame in Winter).

Now, I’m not saying those are bad games, they all might be even great games, but games like Grim Fandango, Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars or The Longest Journey got 4.5/5 stars on this site. Some amazing classics got 4 stars or even less. And now for the last couple of months we have six five-star games - boy, either we’re in a new golden age never seen before, or score doesn’t matter that much. I mean, it never “mattered that much”, because some of my absolute favs of all time got 3 or 3.5 stars, and that’s perfectly fine because review is an opinion of one man. But this is getting ridiculous because I cannot judge the market and individual games like I used to before, other than to deduce that every game is perfect.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 28 December 2023 06:16 AM

score doesn’t matter that much at all

I fixed it for you.

Play a game when someone whose taste you know well (and is similar to your own) tells you it’s good.
That’s how I choose what to play.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

and that’s perfectly fine because review is an opinion of one man.

Ahem Laughing

While I’m here Diego would you be so kind as to pop over to the Site Feedback forum, read the Malware Warning thread and let us know exactly how you loaded that picture please? There’s no criticism involved at all; it’s just to make sure I’m giving Mike the correct information.

Now returning you to your original post.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 28 December 2023 06:30 AM

Play a game when someone whose taste you know well (and is similar to your own) tells you it’s good.

That’s the reason why I’m writing this - just put “AG site” instead of a single author, because this has been the place for the past almost 20 years that I’m looking to when I want to get idea of how good the game is. Svet Kompjutera (domestic magazine), Adventure Gamers, previously some other adventure websites and occasionally other reviews throughout the internet if I’m curious enough for another man’s opinion.

Naturally, I would give a chance to a game with some lower score if from the text I deduce that it’s for me, and I would rather have harsh (but realistic scores) than: Everything is 5 stars, roses are blooming, world is great, just play the game, who cares about the score anyway!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

It seems it is as you said diego, we are living the dream, these years are the golden age of adventure gaming, forget about the 90s; ‘93 or ‘97, these are the days my friend

A1

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Some comments/observations:

1. I think zobraks is 100% right, review scores/points/stars are mostly unnecessary. The text should reveal everything that the game is all about, from the subjective viewpoint of the reviewer. Adding a number doesn’t really add anything to that.

2. The rating system, even if accept that such a thing is necessary (which it really isn’t), is flawed. You have a good number of half stars given. If you can’t force the rating into a five star system and must use half stars, then adjust the system and use ten stars instead. Or tell reviewers that if they are on the fence between two different ratings, choose one or the other, don’t try to have both.

3. Would the ratings be more acceptable using 0-100 points system? Assuming that games get 1-5 stars evenly (more about that later), then mathematically 5 star games would cover the range 81-100 points on a different rating system. And if we entertain the idea that ratings are necessary and meaningful, there really is a big difference between 81 and 100 points. In the five star system games from both ends and from between get the same five stars. That’s OK, but if the problem is too many games having the maximum rating, then having a more thorough and detailed rating system would automatically fix it. Possibly even to the point that no game would ever get 100 points, which is a new problem with that rating system.

4. Are games rated using the full scale or not? If we have too many five star reviews, then either we have a selection of really good games, or reviewers are shy to use the lower end of the scale. I tried to find a game that was give only one star, but really couldn’t find them fast. I had to go all the way back to April 2022 to find a game that was given only half a star. Which brings back the earlier problem of half stars. Is 0.5 stars an acceptable rating on any scale?

5. But let’s assume that reviewers are rating the games honestly, fairly, and using the full scale. What does the apparent lack of one star games tell us? It tells us one of the following things, not sure which one:
A. We are living in a wonderful time when we are not getting any garbage and disasters for a game, even the most basic games have some quality (and there’s some truth that, most likely).
B. The criteria for using one star rating is flawed. If it’s so easy to get at least two stars, then the rating system should be more “demanding”.
C. The site or reviewers pre-select games so that they write only about games that can get good ratings. This isn’t an imaginary situation. A long time ago I was talking to an unnamed media about reviewing some games for them. They told me something like: “choose whatever games you want, but choose games that get good scores.” I didn’t bother to reply them after that. They weren’t interest in actually doing good reviews, they were interested in creating some fake positivity or whatever.

So a lot of things there.
And we didn’t even touch the age old problem of comparing two games and their ratings against each other, which has always been a difficult thing among gamers.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

For me, a five stars rating is for masterpieces, and only “The Day of the Tentacle” deserves five stars.

Jokes aside, I agree that six games with five stars this year is an exaggeration.

In any case, I use to trust “Readers rating” more.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

GateKeeper - 28 December 2023 07:25 AM

I had to go all the way back to April 2022 to find a game that was given only half a star. Which brings back the earlier problem of half stars. Is 0.5 stars an acceptable rating on any scale?

But of course, a Fragmented star… it makes sense.

A1

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

The one thing that bothers me is the consistent overrating of anything that smells of “art”. You can make a relatively complex 15 hour adventure game and it’s “good game, great fun, 4/5” or you can make a 30 minute little artsy something and it’ll be “5/5, so deep” (except everyone will have forgotten this supposedly perfect game in two months when the next art-bait-game comes out).

But maybe that’s just me and secretly everyone loves this sorta stuff ^^

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’m all for games with original concepts, “arty” or not.
And yes, I like the smell of art (in the morning).

Would the ratings be more acceptable using 0-100 points system?

They used to have that very system at PC Gamer twenty years ago (when I was buying it), but guess what - most adventure games had got the score between 3 and 18 (out of 100, of course).

It goes without saying that PC Gamers’ shooter/slaughterhouse-loving reviewers and their texts didn’t put me off the adventure games, although I knew very little about the genre in those days.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Jabod - 28 December 2023 06:54 AM

and that’s perfectly fine because review is an opinion of one man.

I agree in general, though these 6 reviews were written by 3 different authors - it’s their choice to give whatever score they want, but it seems like a too much of a coincidence. None of the games I mentioned that received 5 stars got a dedicated forum thread, and one would assume people would talk about it, which is a bit strange.

I had to go all the way back to April 2022 to find a game that was given only half a star.

That’s hilarious, like luckyloser mentioned, I guess the reviewer couldn’t miss a chance to give half a star to a game called “Fragmented Star”  Sarcastic  But reading “stinkers” reviews has always been fun, some of the best and funniest reviews I read were for those. I guess the reviewer is like: “Oh what the hell, the editor gave me the worst game of all time, let’s make a review at least worth remembering!”

The site or reviewers pre-select games so that they write only about games that can get good ratings.

Good point - but still 5 stars is an absolute perfection, testament of time, an ageless classic. 3-star or 3-and a half star is still good game in my book.

The rating system.

You’ve touched many interesting points. At the end of the day, I still think it’s better to have whatever rating system, than none. Just a quick glance at the score, than read the text, play the game, agree or disagree with a reviewer, that’s all part of the fun. But having just a bland wall of text - less fun. The local magazine I mentioned tried a rating-less system for some time (I guess they were under criticism for some of the low scores previously) but quickly decided to put back the rating system, as no rating is just boring.

5-star system has been functioning on this site for a long time, and it’s fine. Don’t fix what ain’t broken, I say. While 100 points system gives you freedom to pinpoint the score you want better, I’m fine with “5-stars”, because the differences and nuisances between let’s say multiple 4-stars games are in the text. Pros and cons summary helps also. And sometimes, less is more - I mean, not in the sense that less stars is better game Sarcastic but 3.5/5 instead of 70/100 or 75/100, gives more room for interpretation and imagination.

walas74 - 28 December 2023 07:38 AM

Jokes aside, I agree that six games with five stars this year is an exaggeration.

In any case, I use to trust “Readers rating” more.

Not this year, but in the last two months or so.

edit: I can see Readers Rating is there in the “Game info” page, not in the review page. I would still like to see return of the “Readers comments” below the official review - I can understand - some stupid or inappropriate comments will show up sooner or later, but they can be moderated as well.

luckyloser - 28 December 2023 07:18 AM

forget about the 90s; ‘93 or ‘97, these are the days my friend

Cheers to that!

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Now, I’m not saying those are bad games, they all might be even great games, but games like Grim Fandango, Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars or The Longest Journey got 4.5/5 stars on this site. Some amazing classics got 4 stars or even less.

You’re aware that those titles belong to last century,genre become well mixed since and standarts changed. As modern titles like Universe for Sale, Jusant,Gerda: A Flame in Winter well executed examples of genre for today market standarts.
Agree about Readers ratings though.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I haven’t been to the website in awhile, but I came back to check in on GOTY discussions and saw this topic. I want to chime in that the reason I stopped coming here (besides the site redesign, which is a separate issue) and stopped supporting the Patreon is partly because of the generous review scores. I no longer have faith that a 4.5 or 5 out of 5 score from here is a must-play game and a lot of games that receive these scores aren’t even in the conversation for GOTY.

It’s a shame, because this used to be a site I really loved and trusted. I’m glad it still exists, and the old reviews are still available, but I’m not confident that the site will return to its past glory.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I agree with Diego and it’s one of the reasons I don’t really trust review sites at all anymore. Every piece of media is either a 5/5 or 1/5 and most things are purely in the middle. I think advertising dollars has some play into it. I trust one or two reviewers that I like and my taste generally align with. That’s not just in video games but all media and entertainment.

I hated what another site did to the baron and his review of syberia 4 even though he gave them a pass. Not publishing a review bc it didnt vibe with their point of view of a game is just wrong to me. I really liked the game that was in discussion but it doesn’t mean somebody else has to love it too.

it’s like one time when I had an argument with a dev bc I had a whole bunch of bugs in his game and he tried to wave his hand and said well nobody else reported the bugs. I was like well I have them, and left a poor review, why would I make that up… some Behavior online is just bizarre

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Underground Blossom is my p&c adventure of 2023.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

zobraks - 28 December 2023 07:58 AM

They used to have that very system at PC Gamer twenty years ago (when I was buying it), but guess what - most adventure games had got the score between 3 and 18 (out of 100, of course).

I had to verify that claim, and apparently you weren’t kidding or even exaggerating. Gasp

Assuming MetaCritic has the correct information, here are some things “professional” critics said about The Moment of Silence:

Four Fat Chicks
One of the best adventure games of 2004 and likely the best ever to deal with a futuristic, Orwellian theme of corruption and conspiracy. Story, dialogue, character development, settings, artwork, acting, and music are all superb.

Just Adventure
With the exception of my two gripes; this offering is, in this reviewer’s humble opinion, on a par with the big games produced by Lucas Arts, Access, the “old” Sierra, and more recently, Microids.

Adventure Gamers
A futuristic digital age has fully bloomed in The Moment of Silence with a relatable lead character, more comfortable dialogue, clear and original puzzles, striking graphical presentation and a full-package sci-fi adventure. One of the most entertaining adventures in years.

(They obviously converted four star rating to 80 points.)

PC Gamer
An awful and punishing experience… It’s not as if adventure games needed another punch to the crotch. [June 2005, p.74]

Not from MetaCritic, but I even managed to find Svet Kompjutera review about it, they gave it 85.

As the biggest and most complex adventure since The Longest Journey , The Moment of Silence deserves nothing but words of praise. Although there are some standard adventure games, the game’s overall quality stands out from everything we’ve played in the last two or three years, including Syberia 2. If it continues like this, House of Tales has no reason to worry about its survival in the market, and neither we adventurers for the future of the genre.

(Translation by Google, I have no idea if that’s even remotely correct…)

Opinions are one thing, even a good biased bashing of some game is fine for a good (or at least understandable) reason, but that PC Gamer rating is just… unprofessional.

I mean, The Moment of Silence is far from perfect, especially the final puzzles are among the worst ever, but the game has its moments and if I were to simply divide all adventure games into two categories, good and bad, I would rather have the game in the good selection than the bad ones.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top