• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

dirac

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Xing - 1st Person Puzzler on a solitary island (Myst style?)

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Here is the homepage. Trailer’s looking good! What do you think?

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Thanks Ozzie for the heads up.

The game looked fantastic and it is just the type that I have longed for….buuuuut….here is the deal breaker for me

How to Play:

WASD for Movement

“Space” to jump

“E” to interact

* If you get stuck, press “F1” to teleport to safety

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Yeah, the trailer shows some jumping, but nothing that looks too difficult. And I’m not sure what the teleport option is for. Is this intended for cases when you get stuck in the evironment or in a place you can’t get out of? Maybe you’ll need to use it if you miss a jump?
Sounds like a crutch that shouldn’t be necessary to use in the final game. Maybe it’s only intended as a troubleshooting option as part of a possible beta version? We’ll see.

Edit: Apparently it will be free to download, whenever it comes out.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Would have been perfect if it were point & click IMO. Looks like it is going to be totally keyboard controlled which to me is so wrong for a first person puzzler.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Wouldn’t point & click be difficult in realtime? Although I think it was Darkness Within 2 which was 3D real time, similar to Xing, and when you wanted to move you could hold the mouse button to go forward, as an alternative to using the keyboard. It was awkward, but manageable. I think Uru was similar, but I found 3rd person navigation in Uru impossible.

But the controls don’t bother me at all, and the graphics do look great. Of course, that alone doesn’t tell you very much at all. If it’s free I’ll definitely take a look.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Darn! The keyboard controls are a deal breaker for me too.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2006-08-02

PM

Well, I am interested in this, specifically because of the direct controls.  I refuse to buy Point-n-click adventure games because they aren’t immersive enough for me and the technology is woefully outdated.  Adventure Game makers need to realize that there are more people who would buy an Adventure Game if was realtime 3D with direct controls than those who would not buy an Adventure Game that wasn’t P-N-C.  I am dying for an Adventure Game with the graphics and control scheme of Uncharted or Mass Effect.  Heavy Rain with a little more exploration and a little less QTE would be perfect to my tastes.  Its 2012.  Time as long passed for AGs to get serious. Gamers want more story in their games these days.  Come on developers, make it and they will come.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

That does look great and those controls make my heart sink but I can overcome them if the game is good enough.

The Myst Uru games could be played in either third person which had keyboard controls or in first person mode - my choice - which of course is much more work for the devs but would add a lot of value to any future games they would make for sale.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I think full 3D First Person is the only way forward for this stlye of game. The flip screen model is just too outdated.

Those controls are standard fps controls so I imagine it will be mostly mouse look and mouse for interaction.

If you can remap the movement controls that would be better, but overall the game looks pretty.

Just not sure about the puzzle aspects.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

New(ish) screenshot. The graphics look pretty amazing, but still no sign of a release date. 

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2009-04-25

PM

ozzie - 22 June 2012 05:27 PM

Is this intended for cases when you get stuck in the evironment or in a place you can’t get out of? Maybe you’ll need to use it if you miss a jump?

I could see it being like the Relto option in Uru.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

ozzie - 22 June 2012 04:49 PM

I look at this and remember the adventure game Qin. Possibly one of the worst games I ever tried to play. And, when the controls are less than ideal, I’m going to give this one a Thumbs Up

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2007-06-11

PM

The screenshots are really beautiful… kind of Riven-ish.  Maybe the creators will add in the possibility to switch from full 3d to point-and-click.  If I have to use more than a mouse to navigate, I become frustrated.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 19 February 2013 07:37 PM
ozzie - 22 June 2012 04:49 PM

I look at this and remember the adventure game Qin. Possibly one of the worst games I ever tried to play. And, when the controls are less than ideal, I’m going to give this one a Thumbs Up

Thumbs down already? You’ve only seen the screenshots.

I have wanted to try Qin for years but never got round to getting myself a copy (and most likely the old PC required to run it… curse you win7!  Angry ). What was so bad about it?

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The game looks majestic. Reminds me of my favourite Riven…

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2007-06-11

PM

I think that given the choice of using those controls or never getting to see that world, I’d suffer with the controls.  I love the feeling of having been transplanted into a forgotten world.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top