• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Calling all game developers

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Zer0 - 13 November 2012 08:31 AM

So kind of like a 16bit Myst? How big are your images (resolution)?

I’ve taken more inspiration from Japanese visual novels like Snatcher and Phoenix Wright. So there’s no “slide show”, just scenes that you will navigate via a map. Inspecting an area will reveal “close-ups” on important objects, kind of like a comic book presentation.

Unlike Phoenix Wright, the story won’t be told through a big cast of characters, but through exploration, so in that way it’s probably more like Myst.

One of my goals is not to rely on inventory item combinations because I think it’s a crux that adventure games need to move past, but I haven’t got far enough to put my philosophy into practice.

*Oh, I’m working at 320x200, the default resolution of AGS, but I may scale it up to 640x400 or more so the native resolution isn’t so small. Working at any larger than 320x200 in pixel art would just be crazy. For example, the backgrounds in Snatcher are only 192x128.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

So many replies! So very big too =]
Thanks jhetfield21 for explaining a few things for me while I’ve been gone.

Simon_ASA:
One of my worries is the musicians. I want everyone to be working on this and not having to wait up until a certain point.
Right now our coders are making little games like Space Invaders and Breakout, so they can get better at coding. Our story writer is thinking up ideas, characters and dialogue. Me, the artist/modeller, is practising modelling high poly object and texturing them.
I’d like to think that the music people are practising too, but they can’t contribute until we have an idea of how things look and that may take awhile! What else could they do if they are waiting around? I don’t want them feeling detached from the project..

jannar85:
I’m really hoping everyone will stick with me on this, I’m not sure if they will though. I’ve shared my opinion and determination on this and only some have returned it. Hell, maybe they are as determined as me but aren’t saying much. I know certain people will stick to it, which is good.
We’ve discussed money. We’re all so clueless as to how we would get a game out there and it’s costs, but other then that, we’re working on it for free, in our spare time. Nobody is getting paid. If people want to be paid for their work, then they mustn’t share the passion that some of us do. Money is no incentive.

Orient:
Oh I see, it does sound like a nifty idea. You’re gonna have to get a damn good sound track to back it, as some players may get bored.

Wow that’s pretty small! But like you said, pixel art would be hard on a bigger scale. I used to sprite back in the day hehe.. It’s a pain in the ass.

What’s the goal with this? Do you want to sell it one day?

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Zer0 - 14 November 2012 05:54 AM

One of my worries is the musicians. [...] What else could they do if they are waiting around?

That’s one of the dangers I was trying to tell when you work in a team : everyone wants to work at the same moment, but a game has to be made chonologically. You certainly understand that you can’t model the characters in 3D if they’ve not been defined in the scenario ? That’s the same for every part of the production process. If the musicians can’t work because it’s not the good moment, then they HAVE to wait.

You should REALLY make a planning with each step of the production.

But that doesn’t mean the musicians can’t work at all from now. What I did on ASA was a long textual description of each of the environments of the game, and I added some reference pictures/photos to describe the ambiance. Then I sent it to the musician, and it was OK for him to work on the main themes. He just arranged them in the end when he saw the final pictures.
You can’t really do that with the sfx. In my game they’re not done yet, that will be one of the last things.

Zer0 - 14 November 2012 05:54 AM

If people want to be paid for their work, then they mustn’t share the passion that some of us do.

Passion doesn’t make you live… I AM very passionate (making a game alone, without money, isn’t that passion ?). But in the end, I can understand people asking for money, even if they’re very passionate. It’s OK to work for free while you’re a student and have money from your parents to help, but as soon as you are on your own, everything changes Wink

Honestly, I completely share the opinion of jannar85 :
“Right now, I’m still having difficult to find the right people.”

I’m not surprised !!
1/ there’s the matter of money that we just evoqued
2/ there’s the matter of having the same ideas !!
3/ there’s the matter of being motivated until the end of the project !
While making MY game on my own, I already meet difficulties to stay motivated, so I can’t imagine what would happen if I worked with other people that share different opinions of what the game should be !

I would hardly recommand you zer0 to choose a leader in the team, who will give the tasks to the others. And make sure they all agree to have this leader, and that they understand why it’s better to have someone take the main decisions. If it’s YOUR project, then you’re the boss. The others are just here to help. I know it can sound unfair for the rest of the team, but you won’t make it without firmness and leadership. Of course, the leader has to listen to the other’s opinions, and he has to make the best choices. Don’t make it a dictatorship…  Crazy

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Hmm, I think you’re right about the planning. We’re pretty planned up already but we haven’t got an overall list which is what we should do first.. I’ll get right on it! Thanks!

So far nearly everyone in the group is pretty stable in their income. Working on this project won’t get in the way of their lives, if it does, I guess they’d have to go and do what’s important. We have students and people who work, so money doesn’t seem like an issue right now. But if it’s brought up, not much can be done.

Maybe I’ll get lucky and these are the right people for the project, maybe not, but I won’t share any hard feelings towards them. I understand that some people differ from my own idea of passion.

2/ We haven’t hit this hurdle yet, but we might in the future.
3/ In the end, if we don’t finish it but have gained a tonne of skills and knowledge, that’s good enough for me. Bring on the next project! Hehe.

I’ve been talking to them about having a leader to push the project forward and I’ve been nominated it seems. I’d organised it in the first place and they feel safe with me at the ‘helm’. I might not have said but we’re good friends and share a lot of respect.
I want this to be as open as possible, but with a structure. Like you said, it shouldn’t be a dictatorship.

Need to talk to everyone about this!
Cheers.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Sounds great, then ! Wink

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

The music’s definitely an important part, but there will be an inventory, and the player will have to “use” objects—I just don’t want the whole game to be combine A with B and use on C.

I would like to sell it, but that will ultimately depend on the finished product—how long it is, how good it turns out. I’d like to think that my “ultimate” vision for the game would be worth around $10, including the soundtrack and anything else I can chuck in. If it turns out shorter than expected then I don’t mind selling it for considerably less, maybe even “pay what you want”.

One thing’s for sure—selling the game doesn’t concern me as much as finishing it to the best of my ability.

I have a temporary site for it as well.

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

orient - 14 November 2012 06:51 AM

The music’s definitely an important part, but there will be an inventory, and the player will have to “use” objects—I just don’t want the whole game to be combine A with B and use on C.

I would like to sell it, but that will ultimately depend on the finished product—how long it is, how good it turns out. I’d like to think that my “ultimate” vision for the game would be worth around $10, including the soundtrack and anything else I can chuck in. If it turns out shorter than expected then I don’t mind selling it for considerably less, maybe even “pay what you want”.

One thing’s for sure—selling the game doesn’t concern me as much as finishing it to the best of my ability.

I have a temporary site for it as well.

Hehe, I’ve been writing ideas down recently and Do’s and Don’t's of video games. One of them is not to have ludicrous inventory combinations and not to do too many. Because it does get silly! Will you be doing all the music yourself?

Well it’s good to know it’s not all about the money for you, though if you can get a few pennies from it, why not eh? I look forward to the finish product and shall bookmark your website!

Do you have a facebook account? Don’t mind keeping in touch.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-11-14

PM

I am the coder for Zero0’s project; and I agree that the project will need a leader. As me and him working together isn’t to bad as we have made little things before together, whereas the others just need a little push now and then as they are not used to the game making cycle. So I agree we need someone to push them in the right direction sometimes and as Luke said he isn’t strict he just tells and we do which is always good.

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Zer0 - 14 November 2012 06:59 AM

I look forward to the finish product and shall bookmark your website!

Thanks! Just a heads up—I will probably abandon the temporary site for a Facebook page and Twitter account. That seems to be the way to go these days in the world of game promotion. I’ll PM you my Facebook.

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

orient - 14 November 2012 07:23 AM
Zer0 - 14 November 2012 06:59 AM

I look forward to the finish product and shall bookmark your website!

Thanks! Just a heads up—I will probably abandon the temporary site for a Facebook page and Twitter account. That seems to be the way to go these days in the world of game promotion. I’ll PM you my Facebook.

Facebook page would be easier to follow for many people, twitter too.
I’ve sent you a request. (My name’s Luke)

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

about the music people ,since you know the theme you can have them experiment with situations they think of themselves….i mean there is going to be a part which you have to tread carefully and one wrong move could mean your death etc(i know you said no deaths but the thrill is important to the game).So they could practise by doing sfx for such situations.maybe research by watching movies or playing other games in the same genre.i’d recommend they play Scratches…it has one of the best soundtracks out there in terms of spookiness,and while i know you’ve played it they might not.

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

jhetfield21 - 14 November 2012 07:46 AM

about the music people ,since you know the theme you can have them experiment with situations they think of themselves….i mean there is going to be a part which you have to tread carefully and one wrong move could mean your death etc(i know you said no deaths but the thrill is important to the game).So they could practise by doing sfx for such situations.maybe research by watching movies or playing other games in the same genre.i’d recommend they play Scratches…it has one of the best soundtracks out there in terms of spookiness,and while i know you’ve played it they might not.

Yeah I think they are practising it, will have to see what’s what with them. Our musician is working on something now which I’m glad. =]

I’ll have to get a little plan together, like asignment for people and such. Plan out the order of how we could do all this too.

Yeah Scratches is a fantastic example. IF YOU’RE READING THIS GUYS, GO PLAY THE DAMN GAME!
;]

Joined 2012-11-12

PM

Here’s my new blog!
http://lnorman3d.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/hello-world/

It’s nothing special, but for those interested, have a look.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top