• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Guilty pleasures

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

What games do you agree are pretty terrible but you still really enjoy?

One of my guilty pleasures is Eternam, a game from Infogrames (made by the same game who did Shadow of the Comet). It’s a bit of an hybrid with a truly terrible first person shooter when moving from city to cities, the user interface is awful but in the end I like it for the charm (or nostalgia) and still replay it every few years.

Image Attachments

94242-Eternam.jpg
50334.jpg

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Mine is Darkseed.  I like its’ scifi/horror vibe thanks to H.R.Geiger before Alien, and the voiceover by the guy who did Riddle of Master Lu.  It’s even supposed to take place in the next town over from me and I suspect one of the designers is from there. 

I still have trouble remembering all the things that have to be done in each day before you just collapse wherever you are at the time.  It took me forever to get it to play on modern comps and I most recently got the voiceover to work which made me ridiculously happy.  I never do replay it to the end, but I go into the voice files and play the alien speeches, which are well done and spooky.  Someday if I ever have enough time I will.

Check it out on youtube let’s play.

EDIT:  There are several let’s plays but without the voiceover.  I found this one which has it.  The guy is playing it on an Amiga (retro fun!) and the picture is smaller:

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

there are many, really Wink but most recent (replay) was AlternativA, i just am a sucker for any Do Androids/Blade Runner atmosphere!

Manhunter(s) also, you die everywhere, all the time; you die because you stood there doing nothing, but story is too original tho; working for the Evil Orbs invaders was always just too different.

KQ IV, because it had given me the most/worst scariest experience/moments i ever encountered whether through movies, books ..etc, but i can’t just go and replay today, i am old for this SHi’

Let me think of more, i will be back Laughing

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

For some reason this thread brought my mind an obscure game called 3Skulls of the Toltecs. I really liked that spaghetti western adventure in the 90s and apparently it got decent reviews too back then so it isn`t a terrible game at all. I also remember that I never finished it because I got stuck somewhere. I should replay it soon Smile

Image Attachments

3skulls.jpg

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Advie - 08 March 2016 04:13 PM

there are many, really Wink but most recent (replay) was AlternativA, i just am a sucker for any Do Androids/Blade Runner atmosphere!

I enjoyed AlternativA too, it has its moments!

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I have a soft spot towards late 90’s, early 2000’s Myst style games (which is odd as I don’t actually like Myst that much) with pre-rendered graphics. Some time ago I purchased a bundle filled with such games and there’s just somethin adorable, for the lack of a better word, about them, as you can so clearly see through them how 3D graphics evolved.

One I really liked is The Cameron Files: Secret at Loch Ness. The fact it’s a bit silly detectivce mystery made me like it even more. Here’s a Youtube vid.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

3 skulls of the toltecs was a favorite of mine too.  I guess my guilty pleasure would be Day of the Tentacle. I have played that 100s of times.  sometimes when i am bored, or thinking that I have 1/2 hour before bed, I will play it. dunno why I enjoy it so much, but, I do.

another guilty pleasure is Lands of Lore 1. I have played that many many times too.  oh, and when I am feeling depressed, I play Simon the Sorcerer 1.  I love listening to the birds, seeing the animals etc.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Guilty Pleasures refers to games that even knowing they are terrible and we acknowledge that the negative aspects are more than the positives, we can not help but like it very much, no matter what. And while in the background is personal appreciation, personally I see nothing terrible in Day Of The Tentacle nor in Darkseed (which is excellent).

A guilty pleasure of mine is probably Curse Of Enchantia, I loved the scenery, the strange ambience and the crazy situations to which the protagonist faced. However ... it had a terrible and erratic control system that was one more obstacle to overcome, even basic actions as “use” required more time than necessary because everything was very confusing, plus the game had no dialogues, and no clues about what to do and how.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Urban Runner by Sierra/Cocktel. The main character tries so hard to come across as a rough hardboiled investigator, but the fact that he looks like Cosmo Kramer half the time makes it just damn funny—almost worth playing as a comedy. The other actors are pretty terrible, and the plot has holes and really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense in many ways.

But what it does have going for it is its pace—it really never slows down, which is actually a critical element in a suspense/thriller story. That makes the game fun. Plus, it takes place in Paris, and I’m a sucker for any games set in Paris.

I also don’t know if this would be a “guilty pleasure,” but I’ve also replayed Face Noir at least a dozen times. Bad acting, strange plot elements and an unsatisfying ending aside, I think the backgrounds are gorgeous, evoking a feel of Prohibition-era New York City, the soundtrack oozes that noir atmosphere, and the locations feel very real. The museum part alone was beautifully done, and the “bookstore” really was the next best thing to Grim Fandango’s Rubacava.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not sure they rank as Guilty Pleasures, but I loved the LSL games. They were easy. They were sleazy. They were enjoyable.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Superhero League of Hoboken!

It’s a Hybrid RPG/adventure, with RPG elements being both too numerous and too easy. There’s plenty of backtracking as objects appear in markets with no rhyme or reason, inventory puzzles are too often “use key on keyhole” but it’s so cleverly written I love it to death and replay it every couple of years.

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth.

It’s chock-full of inane puzzles placed in an enormous world where you’re (seemingly) free to go to a lot of places and do (seemingly) whatever you like. In the course of gameplay you inevitably get lost there, without having a clue what to do next. It’s mind-numbing, yet you (I mean I - a glutton for punishment) keep coming for more and try to play the game over and over.
It’s a horrible game with beautiful graphics and a lot of weird characters and goings-on that keeps dishing out inedible stuff to a player and yet keeps being attractive in some pretty inexplicable way.
I really don’t know why I still keep playing it (even in a third or fourth playthrough of it I need all the help -a walkthrough, a UHS hint file, a help of a friend- I can get), but I keep playing it nevertheless.

I must be a sucker for weird stuff, I guess. I love Woodruff and its/his crazy humo(u)r.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Renacimiento - 08 March 2016 07:43 PM

...personally I see nothing terrible in Day Of The Tentacle nor in Darkseed (which is excellent).

I agree.  Darkseed was actually and excellent game for its’ time and still holds up.  It’s only the difficulty of getting it to work, dead ends and timed days that make it maddening to play that would put a sane person off it for replay, but I keep going back when I could be using the time to catch up on my new games.

I too found “Day of the Tentacle” fun to play and an excellent game.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Renacimiento - 08 March 2016 07:43 PM

A guilty pleasure of mine is probably Curse Of Enchantia, I loved the scenery, the strange ambience and the crazy situations to which the protagonist faced. However ... it had a terrible and erratic control system that was one more obstacle to overcome, even basic actions as “use” required more time than necessary because everything was very confusing, plus the game had no dialogues, and no clues about what to do and how.

This is mine guilty pleasure too, probably because it was one of first adventures I played but I have much love for it. Replayed it a couple of times and still find it very enjoyable. The Slugs!

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

Mine would be Jack Keane 2. Seems like everyone here hated the game, but I loved it! Sure the interface was clunky, it would have been a better game if it was just point-and-click. But I loved the action sequences, the humor, and the graphics. I definitely liked it better than the first one.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Well for me it’s got to be the Cryo ‘Edutainement’ Adventure games - most of the ones (not all) I have are PS1 versions which were slated in magazines before I had the internet & didn’t seem to make too much good impression on sites after I was able to access forums but I really liked them!!!    Smile I’ll add most of the Nancy Drew games too!

I should also probably add the AOM series!  Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top