• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Journey Down

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

wow, your own home-made engine!  That is impressive.  I was one of the people who didn’t understand the final puzzle at all. Now that I finished it, it makes sense. But, I am usually poor at puzzles. I sure enjoyed the Journey Down and can’t wait until the next chapter.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Development entries are interesting, so I’d check it out. But please no spoilers! Smile

I know it’s probably too soon but it there any possible ETA for Chapter 3? 2016?

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2008-06-03

PM

Simon_ASA - 26 October 2014 06:53 AM
theo - 24 October 2014 03:32 AM

There’s no support for realtime rendered 3d whatsoever, though. I’d love to work on such a game, but I know from experience how much more complexity such depth adds to a project’s pipeline. We like to keep it simple in order to keep it achievable. More complexity = more production time, and that’s just not something we can afford.

Yeah I understand of course. I see exactly what you mean Smile

Interesting. I always thought that with 3D characters, once you have modeled them, it would be much faster to animate something than having to create a huge number of frames for all the necessary movement and action sequences. What exactly is so much more complex working with them?

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’d be interested in following development updates as well.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Becky - 13 January 2015 02:57 PM

I’d be interested in following development updates as well.

Me too!

Simon_ASA’s Catyph thread is a goldmine. And I’ve been following Christopher Bischoff’s Stasis blog for years.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Wow, great to hear so many of you cheering the idea on! I’ll get a TJD3 thread running some time soon, I promise! Smile

Wilco: Well, in some sense spoilers will inevitably wind up there. I’ll try to keep major plot points out of it however. But you have been warned!

Menschmaschine:

Realtime 3d comes with a bunch of downsides. Lemme try to summarize a few of the points that I believe I would wind up calling a blocker or potential issue.

* Performance. When building a mesh for prerendering we don’t have to worry about amount of polys or amount of bones. We can make the mesh and rig exactly as advanced as we want to. This makes the actual asset-production phase a lot less restricted, and makes our toolset way less limited. Also, no fuss with normal maps or limitations in our materials whatsoever.

* Fragmentation. TJD runs on Pc, Mac, Linux and iOS. Making a 2d game work across several different platforms is simply put easier than making a 3d game work on multiple platforms. What may look fine in openGL may look completely broken in Dirext X, etc. A rendered frame will always look like a rendered frame, no matter the platform! (well you could run into platform-specific blending issues but they’d be nothing compared to the potential headache of what you may run into with realtime 3d.)

* More complex environments. Granted, you could make a game look prettier with realtime 3d characters, but that would also require a lot more work. Realtime characters are going to need realtime lighting and shadowcasting for full effect. While indeed that stuff is awesome, it’s still something that needs to be done and that will take up more time and resources.

Again, I’d like to point out though that I personally by no means visually prefer either technique. I think both can yield amazing results, and I’d love to try out featuring realtime characters in an adventure game at some point. Preferably some point where there’s a good established pipeline and toolkit ready for it, however. Smile

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Theo—since we’re on the topic—some questions re: 3D and adventures that have been on my mind for a while.

Why do 3D games seem to shy away from allowing you to manually save your game? Why do they rely so much on checkpoints and autosave?

Why do 3D games shy away from traditional inventory systems? Is an inventory bar at the bottom of the screen harder to implement in 3D?

Some 3D games make it extremely difficult to uncover hotspots—you have to be standing at a certain angle and distance, even if you are allowed to use the mouse when interacting with objects in the environment. Is it more difficult to embed hotspots in 3D environments in a way that’s easily discoverable by the player?

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Well maybe I’m not really the right person to speculate on this, but I’ll give it a shot!

1. I think that’s mostly from tradition. Console games have always shied away more from UI and thus games that tend to target console+desktop will be more checkpoint oriented and less manual-save-focused. So I don’t think there’s any good technical reason for this tendency, really.

2+3. Interactive points become A LOT MORE complex in a dynamic environment. If the room is static, hotspots can easily be designed not to interfere with one another and not to ever be too obscured from the player’s eyes. But once the camera starts moving around this becomes really, really complicated. What may seem like a good design from one camera angle may be a horrible design from another. Essentially you’ve got more states to worry about, and more states require better design and more rigorous testing.

So this goes hand in hand with the fact that having an inventory and using 2d items in a 3d space often comes off as feeling kinda glitchy. Which I believe is one of the reasons why you don’t see so much traditional inventories in 3d games.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

Just finished chapter 1. Nice introduction to the series!  I’m interested to see where the story goes, puzzles are not that hard so the story isn’t held up. Used a walkthrough once: thought I tried everything on the fan but somehow I skipped the fishing rod. Graphics are a little bit of a mixed bag: I like almost everything (hand painted background, city at the background) but the characters feel sometimes a bit off. The lightning sometimes is a bit weird on them and animation can be somewhat robotic at times. Also, sometimes there’s a discrepancy in… sharpness. Not sure how to call it.

All in all, I liked it and when I’m through my backlog in Steam I’ll surely consider the next chapters as a next game to buy Cool

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top