• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

5.25 inch disks

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

You’d have to be EXTREMELY careful with those magnetic disks if you’d remove the plastic covering from them. Without it they’re very easy to damage, either by finger marks or just accidently scratching them.

If you can get them back in the plastic covering somehow, sure they MIGHT work to a degree. But most likely they’d be full of bad sectors by then.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well here my own experience on this,
they don’t damage and that off course if you are extra careful as already said, one time this plastic covering got bent out of indirect heat leaving it at the glove compartment (hot countries) , so i took another useless disk (i didnt need)  cut it open like an envelope very carefully and inserted that disk in, it worked, but not has if is new or something, the problem is the drive could not read it until the disk was in certain space inside the plastic covering, and i would hear the drive making the strangest sounds, i had to take it out and by putting my hand between the circle in the disk, and moving it up and down very craful (trail and error) it worked and once the drive read it, it means it was in the right place inside its covering i didnt have to do anything to it (at least this time), it worked just good .

and they are not very damageable by touching at all not like CDs, only by scratching with sharp objects .

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do think they’ve sustained some amount of damage. You can read and write a disk with bad sectors on it as the OS’s usually are smart enough to skip over them. On Dos you had to run a disk check and seperately make the format to mark up all the bad sectors, but in general it’s very easy to damage the disk itself.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

on a side note/ off topic, remember you this Norton commander
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Microsoft_Visual_Basic_for_MS-DOS_(Professional_Edition_Version1.00).png

i used it a lot as to give me hints if i am stuck, i dont remember how exactly but when you open a Sierra (that what i did dont know if it works for other) game for example with, you read in between the codes words (that runred out be) of all the inventory items you would collect through the adventure, many time it helps with items i couldn’t know i need to obtain, and once i did i was the track of obtaining them, and i am not taking about inventory items scattered on the floor but those are hard to get and concerning a puzzle to obtain.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top