• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Age Act 2 Discussion

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

del. for posting at the game review instead

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Managed to get this in the Gog sale. I’ve just finished the cloud colony and so far it seems fairly enjoyable. The game seems to be good at making you think you’ve worked something out, only to surprise you with an alternative method. I don’t think I’ve seen that done this well before in a game.

The art style is charming and the way components are put together like cut out animation, lends itself for animating with a much more simplified method. Because of this, we see loads of little animations playing when characters are talking or following their set routines. Birds flapping their wings, characters scratching their heads, clouds whimsically moving around and so on.

I’m not far enough to comment on the story fairly just yet, but so far I’m playing through Vella’s story and as a character, I think she’s been good. Now that I’m off the cloud colony, I’m guessing the story will start to move to Vella’s objective.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

aaroncarney - 27 April 2015 07:35 PM

Overall thoughts are pretty good. My only gripe… why did act two take a year and a half to complete? The majority of the game is old locations? lol

Old or not, most of those locations have been completely redrawn, which is just as much work as drawing new locations.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

tomimt - 28 April 2015 02:23 AM

Big yay from me. I’d say it did end up as the best KS funded adventure game and one of the best I’ve played in years.

I have to agree. It’s absolutely worthy of Tim Schafer’s LucasArts legacy. Puzzles start off easy, but not hopelessly easy and get a lot more complicated. By the end you’ll be making notes and charts Myst-style. It’s got a nice curve to it.

Also, for anyone that hasn’t bought the game yet, the mobile versions are damn near perfect and less than half the price. The textures are a little smaller and more compressed, but you can barely notice except in certain close up shots, so playing on iPad or Android might be the way to go. The Dropbox save support even means you can go back and forth seamlessly if you really want.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m done with the game. I’m having a hard time forming a clear opinion of it right now, because my experience was tainted by the utter awfulness of the finale (more on that below). Overall, the game has a lot of charm, it’s beautiful, and, after all the whining about Act 1, it can’t be disputed that it has lots of proper adventure puzzles.

I didn’t mind the recycled locations. It seemed obvious that that was going to happen after the end of Act 1, so I was neither surprised nor bothered by it. I actually enjoyed revisiting those places in different circumstances.

I generally liked the puzzles, though I didn’t love them. They’re typical Schafer, and I’ve never liked his puzzle-design style (I don’t want to bore anyone by dissecting what I don’t like about it). But I knew that going in, so that was OK. For a Schafer game, I was mostly pleasantly surprised by the puzzles.

One thing did bother me a lot, though: the game requiring the player to pass information from one half of the story to the other, without any in-universe justification for it. That was lazy. It’s as bad and gamey as requiring the player to die to get some essential piece of information—which I thought Ron Gilbert had justly eliminated a quarter of a century ago. It certainly didn’t increase difficulty, because it’s always obvious when you’re supposed to use a piece of info with the other character, it just felt weird that there was absolutely no justification for it. That didn’t decrease my enjoyment of the game, but it shouldn’t have been there (or it should have been done differently).

Now, that final sequence. Ugh. That was mindbogglingly awful. I get what Schafer was trying to do thematically (symmetry between the two halves of the story, the kids knowing better than the grown-ups…). However, he clearly couldn’t find a clear way for things to happen that way in the story, so he just said fuck it and decided to have every character act in the most nonsensical (and obnoxious) way imaginable so that he could get the events he wanted. Add a very tedious and repetitive puzzle chain on top of that (which makes about as much sense as everyone’s behaviour) and you have one of the worst AG sequences in recent memory—and one that’s definitely marring my overall impression of the game.

I guess when I replay it, knowing what to expect at the end, I’ll be able to enjoy it more (and I was certainly feeling much more positive about it yesterday while playing it than I am now). But for the moment I have mixed feelings about it.

Oh well. The documentary alone was well worth the price of admission anyway.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Kurufinwe - 29 April 2015 02:10 PM

One thing did bother me a lot, though: the game requiring the player to pass information from one half of the story to the other, without any in-universe justification for it. That was lazy. It’s as bad and gamey as requiring the player to die to get some essential piece of information—which I thought Ron Gilbert had justly eliminated a quarter of a century ago. It certainly didn’t increase difficulty, because it’s always obvious when you’re supposed to use a piece of info with the other character, it just felt weird that there was absolutely no justification for it. That didn’t decrease my enjoyment of the game, but it shouldn’t have been there (or it should have been done differently).

Interesting… I thought this was pretty clever, esp. since I sort of accidentally played the first Act all as Shay and then all as Vella, and these puzzles in Act 2 keep you from doing that. Normally a “how are they supposed to know that?” moment in a story would really bug me, so I’m not sure why I was fine with it here. Maybe because this world has already been set up as one where usual logic doesn’t apply?

Now, that final sequence. Ugh. That was mindbogglingly awful.

The thing that bothered me most about it was Alex turning the electricity back off, since we don’t see him do it. If not for that I would have gotten the puzzle on the first or second try.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

fov - 29 April 2015 03:31 PM

Now, that final sequence. Ugh. That was mindbogglingly awful.

The thing that bothered me most about it was Alex turning the electricity back off, since we don’t see him do it. If not for that I would have gotten the puzzle on the first or second try.

Honestly, the whole sequence makes no sense to me. What were Shay and Vella even trying to accomplish? [spoiler]Their ships are getting shot at, and so their big plan is to… blow them up? Couldn’t they just sit down and wait for it to happen anyway? And what does it achieve? Everyone gets off the ships, which they could have done earlier, and then that’s it.[/spoiler] Even in hindsight, I don’t understand what the puzzle was about.

Not that it prevented me from knowing exactly what I was trying to do. I’d spent the entirety of Act 2 wondering why they still had those remotes with them, so I immediately knew what the game wanted me to do. I just don’t understand why.

And don’t get me started on Alex and Hope turning all hysterical and obstructing you at every turn. What was that about? What were they trying to achieve?? That whole sequence made no sense to me, and annoyed me a lot. (And on top of that I thought some of the puzzles were improperly clued.)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The ending does leave room for improvement that’s for sure. The way it goes down does feel a tad rushed, but then again it can be counted in as the meta commentary Broken Age has about gaming in general.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

iv played a few hours of act 2 now… and so far this is a biiig improvement over act 1 (which i still liked).
Very happy so far Smile

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

There are some issues with the ending. I thought the objectives were clear enough, but story-wise it was lacking.

The big reveal with the Lorunan was disappointingly vague. They need something that outsiders have and it has to be selected by someone who knows, and they have to kill them to get it… but… why, exactly? It’s like Tim just hadn’t figured that part out yet, and it’s almost better not to address it at all than to half-ass it. It reminds me a bit of the film A Boy and His Dog, where the Topekans had become infertile and need to kidnap outsiders to impregnate their women. But instead they never really explain it.

Also, Vella never rescued the maidens, who all apparently burned to death and no one really cares.

None of this bothers me enough to say it isn’t one of the best adventure games in years, though. At its core this is a silly, fun comedic adventure and trying to pick apart the plot too much is beside the point.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2012-11-18

PM

It went downhill plot-wise, coming up with clichè human-harvest and silly character roles’ revelations, but I am one of the few that wasn’t impressed at all by the events, comedy, characters or dialogues in part I either.
Nevertheless, I loved act II. The puzzles felt like they finally hit the right balance difficulty-wise and I was amazed how I was able to connect much more to the world, even if it stayed mostly the same, thanks to the much more indepth exploration; Vella even managed to grow on me (can’t say the same for Shay though).
I expecially loved those puzzles that required to gain informations from the other world, the final puzzle resolution in particular felt really neat.
I did expect that someone would have complained about the all-knowing player (even if I fail to understand why similar complaints don’t come up with DOTT), but I much prefer to have some leeway for lateral thoughts, instead of obsessively caring for the world being consistent.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Well, I’ve completed it. I have to say I fully understand why opinions are so varied on it too.

Act 1 started out with promise and despite being short, I thought it did a good job of the puzzles and story. The end of act 1 gave a good twist that I think would of left players wanting to see what’s next.

Sadly, for me, it fails to beat that moment again in more ways then one. The story just sort of fell into the background and the puzzles took over - and not the good sort. Apart from the odd few, Act 2 consisted of a lot of retreading and the sort of puzzles that have you constantly flicking between locations for things you might of missed leading to a rather tedious experience. I only had to consult a guide twice, but when I did, I couldn’t help but shake my head at what the solution would be. Once I had retrieved that item or done that action, the rest of the puzzles usually fell into place with a snowball down a hillside effect.

The last puzzle I disliked the most and the mechanic of solving a puzzle by switching between the two was really bad I thought.

Overall, I’ve finished the game feeling lukewarm on it. I also struggled to see where all the money went in this…

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Tad - 30 April 2015 01:52 PM

I also struggled to see where all the money went in this…

The artwork really doesn’t come out well in braille, I fully admit that,

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

tomimt - 30 April 2015 02:00 PM
Tad - 30 April 2015 01:52 PM

I also struggled to see where all the money went in this…

The artwork really doesn’t come out well in braille, I fully admit that,

Well played good sir, well played Wink

But, honestly, that couldn’t really have costed that much surely? There’s only about 20 scenes. I can see the animation taking a fairly decent amount as there’s always something moving. Wheather that’s tvs flickering, grass moving, fire etc, there’s a lot of motion which really does add a lot to the scenes.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Sure, it’s wasn’t simply the artwork and animation, though I’d suspect they did take a lot of time,especially because there’s so much of unique animation, which costs a lot especially in San Fransisco. If you compare BA to Gabriel Knight remake for an example, POS left a lot of unique animation, like Gabe standing on the ladder in front of the bookshelf or sitting to the typewriter, out of the game, as doing those would have cost time and money.

One major part propably was that it took a lot more time from Tim to actually finish the script, an issue that was was propably effected the fact that he had to run the company and handle other issues besides just the writing itself (which I think is pretty visible in the ending of the game that feels a bit rushed).

I do recommend watching the documentary series if you haven’t. It really does shead some light about things.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top