• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Steam vs GOG

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Bonsai - 26 October 2014 10:17 PM

Zifnab, grow some thicker skin if you want to jump in supporting the piracy arguement and stop whining about me. Use your ignore button…....and Karlot, you need to go outside every now and then instead of sitting on this site 24/7…......there’s life out there.

Telling the truth is whining? Zifnab is right. You’re fanatic. The only time you ever open your mouth is to attack people who don’t share your views about piracy.

And thanks for your concern about my well-being. But stealing on the internet is so much easier than in the brick-and-mortar world, what’s the point of going out.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Cool it, guys.

I’m ok with derailing the original topic for a discussion about piracy, but please don’t start turning this into a string of personal attacks. If you have nothing more to add to the discussion (and we did reach the stand-off point), then it’s probably best to just let it go and maybe even return to the actual topic of the thread...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

A LOT of ppl pirates products, and then proceeds to buy them if they decide it’s something they’re gonna enjoy. This is a fact. Saying that you don’t believe anyone would buy something after having pirated it, only indicates that, most likely, YOU wouldn’t.

Studies show that pirates buys considerably more content than their non-pirate peers, so mindless hatred toward piracy is uneducated at best.
http://www.webpronews.com/pirates-more-likely-to-pay-for-digital-and-physical-media-than-non-pirates-2012-10

Blackthorne - 25 October 2014 11:34 AM

To suggest that it’s wrong for software and game developers to want people to pay for their work is ludicrous. 

Bt

I don’t disagree with you there at all, but, wouldn’t you agree that it’s better (unless you’re starving, and if you’re truly passionate and proud of the work you’ve done) that your work reaches as much people as possible? Piracy means a lot more people will be exposed to your product, and who can truly claim to know how many additional sales this could generate over the course of time? As Zifnab said, piracy isn’t all bad. Believing it is, means completely ignoring free PR that comes with it.

I’m a musician myself, our band has released several full length albums that are sold in over 30 countries worldwide. After our latest release, it took about 5 minutes before a pirated version was available. Without piracy, a large percentage of our listeners would probably never even have heard about us, and they would never mention us to a friend. I don’t believe for a second that if piracy were to seize to exist, that it would be entirely beneficial for developers of digital media.

I think developers will have a lot more to gain from putting all effort into making their product as good as possible, rather than wasting time trying to prevent ppl from pirating.

(In case anyone wonders, our bands name is Subliritum, we play a form of progressive technical blackish metal, feel free to freely download our music from anywhere you might find it! If you like what you hear, don’t hesitate to tell your friends about us, and please consider buying an album Wink )

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Dag - 27 October 2014 12:13 PM

Studies show that pirates buys considerably more content than their non-pirate peers, so mindless hatred toward piracy is uneducated at best.
http://www.webpronews.com/pirates-more-likely-to-pay-for-digital-and-physical-media-than-non-pirates-2012-10

Thank you for that link.  I was legitimately curious if there was any info on these statistics beyond random forum statements.  Very interesting.  Smile

I still have to wonder what the statistics are of pirates who go back and purchase the software they’ve initially stolen verses the ones who just keep it.  That’s what I’m most curious about.  I don’t think the above article is necessarily any indication of the so-called morality of pirates, but rather more an indication of the fact that people who pirate games are also people who are generally much more comfortable operating within digital marketplaces.  I would assume that a more nuanced study would be needed to determine that information.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

I’m torn between my desire to have as many people see and/or play my game as possible and my desire to be able to pay my electric bill! I hope I can reach an equilibrium between the two!!

Bt

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Anyone who puts price tag and prevents people enjoying the art is committing a crime against mankind.
Of course it could always be degraded to a mere produce and be sold like a common stock, but the true artist would be exalted for his work to be enjoyed by everyone regardless of his social status and material wealth.
That’s the main difference that separates him from regular craftsman.

And there will always be people that will have means to support great artists through donations so they can continue to enrich humanity.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bogi - 27 October 2014 07:37 PM

Anyone who puts price tag and prevents people enjoying the art is committing a crime against mankind.
Of course it could always be degraded to a mere produce and be sold like a common stock, but the true artist would be exalted for his work to be enjoyed by everyone regardless of his social status and material wealth.

And there will always be people that will have means to support great artists through donations so they can continue to enrich humanity.

What a medieval thing to say.

You do realize that even Leonardo Da Vinci worked on commission (and thus had a price tag), don’t you? And that we’re now in the age of capitalism?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Bahhahahaha…

At almost no point in human history has art ever NOT been a business first.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 27 October 2014 08:19 PM

You do realize that even Leonardo Da Vinci worked on commission (and thus had a price tag), don’t you? And that we’re now in the age of capitalism?

Was he charging people for looking at and marvel at his works?

So? A mere 150 years ago people in the most prosperous parts of the World were born into slavery, does that mean we should accept any system as a definite and unchangeable?

@Lambonius

No, the art was often just born from work (business) and when that happens, it becomes much more than a common good. It is transferred in the higher plane of existence that cannot be measured by simple weight of gold.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Bogi - 27 October 2014 09:25 PM

Was he charging people for looking at and marvel at his works?

No, but the patrons who paid for him to make his work fully supported him financially, including paying for his living arrangements.  People also paid him individually for each copy of his work that he or his apprentices made and distributed, including printed reproductions.  Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I just bought a game from Big Fish Games for the first time in maybe a year, and found they have introduced a “Game Manager” which you now have to install to play.

Just a warning for anyone who hates those things. It’s certainly the last time they’re getting my business!

Let’s hope GOG doesn’t go the same way.

Lambonius - 27 October 2014 08:20 PM

Bahhahahaha…

Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t see much business potential in this:

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Oscar - 28 October 2014 03:37 AM
Lambonius - 27 October 2014 08:20 PM

Maybe I’m wrong but I can’t see much business potential in this:

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well in that case, it seems a little silly to make adventure games, when action games sell much better. Writers should be all be writing Dan Brown thrillers, musicians should all be playing Top 40 pop-rock. And some of them aren’t - maybe because they find meaning in it beyond the money, like the cave-painters.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

TimovieMan - 27 October 2014 08:19 PM

Exactly and you could even argue if games are Art at all….I mean, some are, depending on your definition, but there are a lot of games out there that are simply blunt entertainment, without any artistic craftmanship involved.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

subbi - 28 October 2014 05:38 AM

Exactly and you could even argue if games are Art at all….I mean, some are, depending on your definition, but there are a lot of games out there that are simply blunt entertainment, without any artistic craftmanship involved.

Even if much artistic craftmanship is involved, that was involved by the creators of the games, thus they are the ones who define whether their making should be concidered a product, a piece of art, or both… Your opinion (and mine of course), doesn’t really matter. Everyone can say about anything “This is art. It should be given free to all people”, even if it is your neighbour’s house and furniture, or the tomatoes from the local market. The definition of art is strictly subjective. Are we really ready to put the game creators (and others as well) income into question based to our own tastes?
I am not.

EDIT: Bear in mind that, as far as painting goes, the vast majority of painters were either ROYAL painters => sure income (remember, no cameras back then. Every King wanted his portraits) or had some serious patrons, usually the church. No one painted for free without being extremely rich (like the Royal ones) and those who did, like Van Gogh, died extremely poor…..
There are some extreme cases of 20th century painters who where well known during their lifetime by their own means, like Picasso or Dali, but those are the exceptions.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top