• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLady KestrelSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 08 November 2014 08:09 AM

Or is this a question that’s better addressed in the voting thread itself?  Tongue

Isn’t this the voting thread?

Anyway anticipating that it would win the vote sooner or later, I actually picked up Mists of Ravenwood at a recent steam sale for pretty much nothing. Having bought it I had to give it a quick spin to see what it was all about, and having started it I couldn’t resist playing it to the end Meh

My point is that it really isn’t necessary to having played the first game in order to understand this one, but it does contain some spoilers from the first, so if you plan on playing both it would be better to start at the beginning.

My second point is that it is actually pretty good, better than I expected, otherwise I would have been able to resist.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 08 November 2014 08:09 AM

Or is this a question that’s better addressed in the voting thread itself?  Tongue

I think it would be fine if you nominated the first Enigmatis game. It will be nominated in addition to Ravenswood though.

As was done in the last nominating/voting process, the games generating enough votes to be in contention at the end get carried forward. Those that didn’t are eliminated, but can be re-nominated.

Only “problem” I see with having the two games on the list is the one we experienced with the AG CPT when we finished Syberia. There was a fairly strong faction that thought we should move directly to S2, either as part of the AG CPT or external to it. In fact I nominated S2. It didn’t win, (Discworld did,) and the thought of playing it as quasi-CPT failed to gain traction. I used the word “problem” very loosely.

Someone might say, “If I’m going to play the Enigmatis games, I want to start with the first. But I’m really anxious to play Wishmaster and Time Dreamer.” Which means Ravenswood might not become a favorite again for quite some time. Letting the process play itself out is fine by me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Here we go!  Smile

The list of games brought forward is:

Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood
E.P.I.C: Wishmaster
Time Dreamer
F.A.C.E.S.
9: The Dark Side
Nightmare Adventures - Witches Prison
Urban Legends: The Maze

These games received at least three votes each.

The eliminated games are:

Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost
Myths of the World - Of Fiends and Fairies
Mystery Case Files: Fate’s Carnival

These games received less than two votes each, but can certainly be re-nominated if you feel they didn’t get the backing they deserved.

Nominations of new games will last until Sunday, November 16. Depending on activity, it may close a day or two earlier. If nominating a game, please provide a brief two-or-three sentence description, so others can look it up and/or play part of a demo.

Voting starts the day after nominations close, and if the last vote is any indicator, should last about a week. So, barring ties, voting will end on Sunday, November 23.

The playthrough will start whenever the game leader sets the schedule.

Let’s have some fun.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m going to change the above post. While it might be a little more work, I don’t see why voting and nominating can’t occur concurrently.

That will shorten the process a bit.

Just make sure you are specific in your messages. I.e.

“I’m nominating X game, and I’m voting for X, Y and Z.”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I vote for E.P.I.C.: Wishmaster, Time Dreamer, and 9: The Dark Side.
I would also vote for the first Enigmatis game if that gets nominated.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I was going to nominate Green Moon, which is an inventory & puzzle (adventure-light) game that I enjoyed when it first came out.  However, when I checked out the system requirements (Windows XP/Vista & Mac 10.4) at Big Fish, I think people would have too much trouble running it with newer systems.  I didn’t realize I played it so long ago.

I vote for F.A.C.E.S. and Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood.  Playing the first Enigmatis game is not really necessary.

As I posted in the casual game thread, Big Fish is having a sale on CEs.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

BTW, as I’ve done in the past, I will update the nominations/votes once a day.

To get things started I’m going to cast my current votes (I might not be done yet) for

Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood
E.P.I.C: Wishmaster
Time Dreamer
F.A.C.E.S.
Urban Legends: The Maze

Descriptions of the above games can be found earlier in the thread.

I’m also re-nominating and voting for House of 1000 Doors: Serpent Flame. It’s the third in the series. But, other than you as protagonist, there is no reason to play the first two before playing this one. I’ve played the CE bonus game. I think I described the bonus game as the SE game as re-imagined by Salvador Dali.

New nominations, and accompanying votes go to:

Depths of Betrayal - A classic steampunk casual game. Great puzzles and HO scenes that provide much more than “find the pipe” challenges.

Rite of Passage - Child of the Forest - A wonderfully told story about a child that must undergo a village ritual, but has unseen consequences because he is afraid of the dark. The second game in the series might be even better, but one step at a time.

Dreamland - Becky and I were going to propose this as a “combo-package” with a Tony Tough AG CPT. Never worked out. The venue is a carnival. There are some difficult HO scenes. Which are offset (not) by some difficult puzzles.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 09 November 2014 07:16 PM

Playing the first Enigmatis game is not really necessary.

I’m too OCD to skip the first game… Tongue

Actually, I’m not, but I’m too OCD to vote for sequels where I didn’t play the first one… Grin

@ Tim: Steampunk? Add my vote to Depths of Betrayal! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This is the first count, so please make sure your votes/nominations are correct.

Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood (Lady Kestrel, Tim)
E.P.I.C: Wishmaster(TimovieMan, Tim)
Time Dreamer (TimovieMan, Tim)
F.A.C.E.S. (Lady Kestrel, Tim)
9: The Dark Side (TimovieMan)
Nightmare Adventures - Witches Prison
Urban Legends: The Maze (Tim)
House of 1000 Doors - Serpent Flame (Tim)
Depths of Betrayal (Tim, TimovieMan)
Rite of Passage -Child of the Forest (Tim)
Dreamland (Tim)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Please put my votes on Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood, E.P.I.C. Wishmaster, and Depths of Betrayal. Thanks.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve spent part of the morning replaying a portion of the first Enigmatis game—The Ghosts of Maple Creek. This is a paranormal mystery, in which you play a detective who is investigating the disappearance of a young woman from a resort town in Vermont. The story is as involving as I remember it, very well presented, the puzzles are entertaining, and I enjoyed the Evidence Board feature. Despite the many Hidden Object screens, I’ve decided that it would be a good idea for those who are voting to have the option to begin the Enigmatis series with The Ghosts of Maple Creek, so I’m nominating it and voting for it. (For those who are new to the voting, Enigmatis: The Mists of Ravenwood, which has already been nominated, is the second game in the series.)

I’d also like to nominate Nearwood, which is a fantasy adventure that does not have standard HO screens—the HO challenges are infrequent and are shape-based or else involve finding multiples of the same item. The game has a striking fantasy world to explore, and the story has some surprises as you progress. I’ll vote for this one as well.

In addition, I’d like to vote for E.P.I.C. Wishmaster Adventures, Nightmare Adventures, The Witch’s Prison, and Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ll vote for Enigmatis - The Ghosts of Maple Creek & The Mists of Ravenwood

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And I obviously vote for Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Voting as of November 10, 2014 (minor edit)(revised, yet again on day one of voting)

4 votes Enigmatis: Mists of Ravenwood (Lady Kestrel, Tim,
Chrissie, furgotten)
4 votes E.P.I.C: Wishmaster(TimovieMan, Tim, Becky, furgotten)
3 votes Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek (Becky, Chrissie,
TimovieMan)
3 votes Depths of Betrayal (Tim, TimovieMan, furgotten)
2 votes Rite of Passage -Child of the Forest (Tim, Becky)
2 votes F.A.C.E.S. (Lady Kestrel, Tim)
2 votes Time Dreamer (Tim, TimovieMan)
1 vote 9: The Dark Side (TimovieMan)
1 vote Nightmare Adventures - Witches Prison (Becky)
1 vote Urban Legends: The Maze (Tim)
1 vote House of 1000 Doors - Serpent Flame (Tim)
1 vote Dreamland (Tim)
1 vote Nearwood (Becky)

Revisions noted and applied

Seeing as the last winner won in a runoff with both games tied at six votes each, it would seem that we have a game to beat. But, we’ve not heard from several players.

Remember you can vote more than once. Just not for the same game.  Shifty Eyed

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tim, I voted for Time Dreamer as well. Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top