• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Life is Strange

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

nomadsoul - 11 December 2015 01:41 PM

IntenseDegree,

It wasnt Mullholland drive or Blue velvet but Twinpeaks, name of which appeared in the game atleast twice, you overlooked to deconstruct that. Try playing twowhales scene of ep2 again. Also Oregon setting, not just missing Laura palmer with R on her body, well that R is for Rachel i guess. Smile

Everyone who does something with small town America in any medium tries to claim Twin Peaks similarity but it’s never convincing to me!

As I said, I think the investigation styles of Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive are more similar. [deconstruction complete!] Wink

Yes, them high school stereotypes are as common in Hollywood plots since 80s , as some random mouse in rundown sewers.

As opposed to the “hero” or NPC character types in most other games?

Oh you make me laugh and smile, rawk it out girl,you cant dance hippie, You are so cool , Madmax, Max ninja, Max fking caufield etc.
I think i would take such dialogues more seriously in Minecraft or self aware B movie, neither of which this game was trying to be.

As I say I disagree. The stupid dialogue is representative of the teenage characters influenced by popular culture and completely unoriginal. In my view it is therefore completely self aware.

That rewind mechanic is recycled gimmick from their previous game.
Good they found a way around to reuse it, and success of TTG interactive storytelling pushed SEnix to publish it.

Re-used rather than recycled I would say. Or recycled in the same way that COD recycles a shooting mechanic.

Completely agree that TTG success got this published, but n my view LIS surpasses anything TTG did.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 11 December 2015 08:05 PM

I will take Ramsey or Vasquez over Nathan dialogues and character development anytime.

Smile

Telltale did nothing with those characters. Ramsey, just as all other characters from the TV-series, had no character progression nor did Telltale add anything to them. They were just fan service and an attempt to add credibility to the game as a proper license product IMO.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Intense Degree - 12 December 2015 08:17 AM
nomadsoul - 11 December 2015 01:41 PM

IntenseDegree,

It wasnt Mullholland drive or Blue velvet but Twinpeaks, name of which appeared in the game atleast twice, you overlooked to deconstruct that. Try playing twowhales scene of ep2 again. Also Oregon setting, not just missing Laura palmer with R on her body, well that R is for Rachel i guess. Smile

Everyone who does something with small town America in any medium tries to claim Twin Peaks similarity but it’s never convincing to me!

As I said, I think the investigation styles of Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive are more similar. [deconstruction complete!] Wink

Epic deconstruction fail, your opinion is not fact, what a fact is actual Twinpeaks name on Chloe’s car plate, name Fire walk with me, which you probably overlooked because game is automated, find it and .... if if you aint convinced yet which i hardly care over Devs comment here,

As you can imagine some of us are really fans of Twin Peaks, and we can’t deny that it had some influence on us during the writing process. The feeling of a remote isolated town where everyone knows everyone, and with secrets lurking in the nature is a very powerful theme we are also dealing with in Life is Strange. David Lynch had a way with twin peaks to create strong characters, using stereotypes, but then evolving them outside the boundaries of those clichés, and this is something we are keen on doing in Life is Strange, using some established character types, and then completely putting them on unexpected paths.

@Tommint

Would take proper representation of GoT characters in GoT game, rather than corny cast in blatant bad ripoff of Twinpeaks and IT and Groundhogday and….Wink

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

As someone who has read all the ice&fire; books and followed the show…. i have to say i enjoyed life is strange approximately 5x more than the telltale “game.” Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 12 December 2015 10:02 AM

Epic deconstruction fail, your opinion is not fact, what a fact is actual Twinpeaks name on Chloe’s car plate, name Fire walk with me, which you probably overlooked because game is automated, find it and .... if if you aint convinced yet which i hardly care over Devs comment here,

Having Twin Peaks references doesn’t necessarily mean the game has that Twin Peaks vibe. Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 12 December 2015 01:44 PM
nomadsoul - 12 December 2015 10:02 AM

Having Twin Peaks references doesn’t necessarily mean the game has that Twin Peaks vibe. Wink

Did you read the comment above from developer?
You said vibe, and he used the synonymn feeling.

First read again and then play the game.

Smile
Wink

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

it undoubtedly draws from david lynch’s style. What bothers me slightly more than that: it mimics donnie darko a little too much.
Its an excellent game regardless.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

zane - 12 December 2015 02:46 PM

it undoubtedly draws from david lynch’s style. What bothers me slightly more than that: it mimics donnie darko a little too much.
Its an excellent game regardless.

Shhhh.
You might have slipped the ending choice of season2.
In order to save chloe and town, sacrifice yourself

Wink

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I loved the characters and the world of Life is Strange, which helps ones enjoyment of the game considerably, I would’ve thought. You don’t like the characters, it’s hard to enjoy the story. And the dialogue often wasn’t brilliant, but I found the gameplay mechanics made up for that, being FAR more engaging than anything Telltale has offered up since the last Sam and Max season (which I loved by the way, and have long given up hope of Telltale going back to and exploring more)

And the game itself was far more engaging and far less dreary than Walking Dead Season 2 or Game of Thrones, (and even Wolf Among Us, which I kinda liked) even if the story eventually kinda fell to pieces in the last episode. With this, it was mostly about the journey, not the destination. 

Tales from the Borderlands was pretty great, but I got more emotionally involved with LIS- particularly episode 2- than anything Telltale’s ever done, and that includes the first season of TWD.

What I also loved about Life is Strange is how it rewarded player exploration, and taking things slow. The more you looked around, the more stuff you uncovered. It was lovely like that. And second playthroughs would often reveal things you missed the first time.

Far from perfect, but still one of my favourites of the year.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

nomadsoul - 12 December 2015 01:59 PM

First read again and then play the game

Oh the developer said so? Well obviously we should ignore all other rational thought and the evidence before us then. Wink

Timo is spot on, referencing something does not make it similar in feel or any other synonym you may care to use.

As I said before FOR ME it is more like a Blue Velvet or Mulholland style of investigation.

You absolutely destroyed that straw man argument that my opinion is law though, well done! Wink

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Intense Degree - 13 December 2015 07:02 AM
nomadsoul - 12 December 2015 01:59 PM

First read again and then play the game

Oh the developer said so? rational thought….

Timo is spot on

Smile

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, i’ll take the bait. Smile

Please set out exactly why you think I should stop posting? Do you consider that I have failed to understand and address your arguments and have therefore embarrassed myself?

Seriously, I’m curious.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 13 December 2015 11:44 AM
Intense Degree - 13 December 2015 07:02 AM

Timo is spot on

“It’s time to stop posting”

Smile

I could stand to hear a little more… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top