• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest announced (Re-imagined by The Odd Gentlemen) 

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lambonius - 16 August 2014 04:39 PM

I suspect that statement was made with the explicit strategic intent of causing fan uproar and getting people talking.  If so, mission accomplished!

I never once expected it to be point-and-click, I never once expected it to be anything but an adventure. They haven’t said anything that surprised me, and I’m sure I’m not alone in this. Fan uproar? Really?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Why isn’t there more excitement here about the return of Sierra? Isn’t that earth-shattering news for AG?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Because we’re worried it’s being made by nubs who don’t get what King’s Quest is about. Anyway, I’m glad they cleared up that it’s not a point-and-click so I don’t have to anticipate or care about this game. With little expectations comes little disappointment - I think Ithat’s from Spider-Man.

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

thejobloshow - 16 August 2014 07:53 PM

Because we’re worried it’s being made by nubs who don’t get what King’s Quest is about. Anyway, I’m glad they cleared up that it’s not a point-and-click so I don’t have to anticipate or care about this game. With little expectations comes little disappointment - I think Ithat’s from Spider-Man.

I’m talking about the brand, not this specific project. The fact that Activision is restoring the brand is a big deal.

You sound like someone who would find a way to be pessimistic on ecstasy though.

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I think skepticism is warranted given the parties involved. If you’re going to be excited about something it SHOULD be the game and not that Activision is using Sierra’s name for their digital-only content. Precedent certainly doesn’t show this as anything to be giddy about with E.A.‘s use of Origin and Infogrames changing their name to Atari.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

RockNFknRoll - 16 August 2014 07:58 PM

I’m talking about the brand, not this specific project. The fact that Activision is restoring the brand is a big deal.

You sound like someone who would find a way to be pessimistic on ecstasy though.

Come on, man, I know from your other posts that you’re a smart guy.  You know full well that the brand name is just a corporate money grab and doesn’t mean shit if the games aren’t good.  Smile  None of the original Sierra people are involved in any way, currently.

It IS exciting, but anything other than a cautious optimism would be very premature here.

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Lambonius - 16 August 2014 08:12 PM
RockNFknRoll - 16 August 2014 07:58 PM

Come on, man, I know from your other posts that you’re a smart guy.  You know full well that the brand name is just a corporate money grab and doesn’t mean shit if the games aren’t good.  Smile  None of the original Sierra people are involved in any way, currently.

It IS exciting, but anything other than a cautious optimism would be very premature here.

Cynical bunch I guess. You should be smart enough to know that cynicism and negativity has little to do with intelligence. It’s often the opposite.

It’s nearly impossible to go our way without fan excitement and encouragement. Apathy is a surefire way to not ever get what you want. It’s self-fulfilling. There’s zero incentive for the brand to cater to a completely lifeless unsupportive audience.

There’s always reason for caution, but people have been mourning the loss of Sierra for decades now. Nobody thought it would ever come back. The fact that it has is purely a cause for hope, it only opens doors. The worst that can happen is that nothing changes from now. They could have created any brand they wanted to for indie games, the fact they went with Sierra is an obvious nod to its legacy. There’s no reason to not go with another name otherwise. There’s pretty much no reason to be so negative about a new KQ either. It’s being developed by a cool group with some real resources behind it. It’s almost impossible to do worse than Phoenix Online that’s for sure.

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

If the games are good people will come around. I don’t see the value in blindly building up hopes to leave ourselves open to disappointment.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

KQ1 wasn’t a point and click game.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

I would only get super excited about a Sierra revival if they were actually going all the way with it, giving the games A-AAA budgets and making them more cutting-edge. It’s easy enough to imagine any of the KQ games as full 3D remakes with complete freedom of movement that retain all of the puzzles and don’t add action. That’s what I want (with sequels, not remakes, although I’d be interested to see remakes as well) and it’s pretty sad that there have been virtually no adventure games that have even attempted it.

I got excited when I first played GK3 because I could see the possibilities for KQ, LSL, SQ, etc. using a similar engine. It never panned out of course, and it’s a testament to how terribly stuck in the past adventure gamers are that it hasn’t been tried since, 15 years later.

Moving the genre forward was the spirit of Sierra.

As it is, the smaller budget “indie” Sierra games could wind up being worthwhile, but I’m not going to be all that excited for them ahead of time.

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Venkman - 17 August 2014 01:32 AM

I would only get super excited about a Sierra revival if they were actually going all the way with it, giving the games A-AAA budgets and making them more cutting-edge. It’s easy enough to imagine any of the KQ games as full 3D remakes with complete freedom of movement that retain all of the puzzles and don’t add action. That’s what I want (with sequels, not remakes, although I’d be interested to see remakes as well) and it’s pretty sad that there have been virtually no adventure games that have even attempted it.

So basically you wouldn’t get excited unless they were unprecedentedly perfect.

I mean, I agree I’d love to see that ideally, but c’mon.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

RockNFknRoll - 17 August 2014 03:20 AM

So basically you wouldn’t get excited unless they were unprecedentedly perfect.

I mean, I agree I’d love to see that ideally, but c’mon.

Oh? And what is the last ‘unprecedently perfect’ AAA game you’ve played?

(Please don’t say Call of Duty)

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/wayward-manor-review/1900-6415821/

The reviews of their latest game is hardly filling me with confidence.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-05-25

PM

I recently just watched a retrospective review of all the King’s Quest games from 1 to 8 Because I wanted to know more about the series before the new game comes out And I have to say I was really impressed by what I saw Although I don’t get why all the games are called “King’s Quest” since the series isn’t just about the king (his family are also major characters too).

I liked that the characters aged and evolved as the games went on and it was cool to see Graham go from a young man in the first game to a older king with a wife and kids that he has to save by the the fifth game.

Watching the retrospective reviews also made me understand why people were disappointed
in King’s Quest VII and why many hated the last game King’s Quest: Mask of Eternity.

King’s Quest VII looked like a badly animated Disney movie and King’s Quest: Mask of Eternity really didn’t have much to do with the series at all because none of the main characters played a major role in the story.

Screw Conner give me another game about the king and his family lol

p.s “throwing a custard pie at a Yeti”
was that really the best thing they could come up with in order to solve a puzzle lol

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

RockNFknRoll - 16 August 2014 07:21 PM

Why isn’t there more excitement here about the return of Sierra? Isn’t that earth-shattering news for AG?

Because nothing dramatically changed, so far. GK1 remake, Larry remake… came before this news.

Antrax - 16 August 2014 11:47 PM

KQ1 wasn’t a point and click game.

Yeah, it’s “safe” to assume when they say “new King’s Quest is not going to be a point & click” that what they meant is it’s going to be a text adventure.

I would only get super excited about a Sierra revival if they were actually going all the way with it, giving the games A-AAA budgets and making them more cutting-edge.

Actually, I agree with this - or at least, it would be exciting for Activision to support Sierra projects by bringing the original designers, musicians, artist… to a new projects. This way, as I said, nothing really changed apart from the fact that we know indie and small teams will get a chance to made some game out of the Sierra license.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top