• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

My Dune

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #28: Gray Matter

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 05 July 2014 08:04 PM

What’s the trigger to start chapter 4?
I’m stuck at 95% of the chapter and I’m missing some stuff from the Psi and Psi again quest. I have no idea what I should do. I went to a walkthrough and everything seems to be done. Any specific action in here?

wilco - 06 July 2014 06:52 AM

Turns out what I was missing was clicking on the mirror in the bedroom. Not that anything happens by doing that…

A similar thing actually happened for me in my original playthrough though in a later chapter. I got completely stuck without any idea whatsoever about what to do, and reading 3 different walkthroughs didn’t help either, as they all told me I had done everything that I needed to to, and all I had to do was go to a certain place to trigger a cutscene, but no matter what I did the cutscene simply wouldn’t trigger. Finally I found others that had the same problem and realised that it was most likely because there was some obscure insignificant hotspot somewhere that I hadn’t clicked on, so after retracing my every step through the chapter 4 times clicking on absolutely everything, I finally managed to find the one illusive hotspot I hadn’t clicked before, and the cutscene would finally trigger.

Mikekelly - 06 July 2014 11:53 AM

Generally speaking, the game won’t let you advance until u complete the main events of that given chapter, and has clicked on every single god-damned hotspot in the game.

*Fixed*

UPtimist - 07 July 2014 06:48 AM

Though I’m sure most do, remember that the map shows where you still have points to gain

It does, and there is also the Progress bars, that can help by showing what objectives you still need points for - the problem however is that they are both flawed!
In my case the hotspot item was in a part of the map that was gray, and the objective that it belonged to was reported as being 100% done, in fact I didn’t get a single point for clicking on the item, but it was still necessary in order for the cutscene to trigger.

Did I mention that I was not to happy about the game after that ordeal, and that I almost threw it in the garbage bin. Fortunately it only happened once, had it happened a second time I would have ritualistically burned it over a slow fire, and I would have missed out on what is still a great game despite of these flaws.

Let this be a lesson to everyone here: Remember to click on all the hotspots!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Iznogood - 07 July 2014 01:15 PM

Let this be a lesson to everyone here: Remember to click on all the hotspots!

Yep, seems to be a slight JJ flaw. I remember having trouble with GK2 in the Ludwig (or was it Wagner?) museum both when I originally played it back in 1996 and on a later playthrough. One display case missed & a total block!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m halfway in the second chapter, and I really like where the story is going. The “horse track” incident almost reminds me of “The X-Files” episode.

As for the map with “grayed out” (see what I did there? Grin) locations you don’t need to visit in this chapter again - it’s a very helpful feature, but perhaps it could have been better to let the player decide if he wants to see that hint (like turning on the hotspot highlighter). Also, I love the chapter indicators, it really helps me move forward (especially if you don’t play the game for some time and forget about your duties) because the diary is confusing at best.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Well, there we are. Chapter 3 is behind us (that is: most of us) and we are ready to continue to chapter 4. So many questions!! What is the “IM” message that is slowly created from the beyond? What about Laura’s message? And what was all that about the pool incident? Was it a “water to wine” Jesus miracle? Only some of these grand questions will be answered in the chapter to come. IMO, this is the chapter where things start to get gradually better in the game. Even the Daedalus game theme. Yep, you guessed right, We control Sam again, ready to do some more investigating, treasure hunting and commiting variable offensive actions (you will see Grin). So, you have the usual week to finish chapter 4 until 15th of July.

Until then, here is an image that, pretty much, summarizes the entire chapter 3.

Tip of the week: Read Alice in Wonderland if you haven’t already. It’s a great book.

Tip of the week 2: Sometimes stupid riddles require stupid solutions. Damn egg!!

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m sorry Sefir, I’ve fallen behind but I will catch up!

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

chrissie - 08 July 2014 01:53 PM

I’m sorry Sefir, I’ve fallen behind but I will catch up!

Not to worry chrissie. The playthrough moves in a somewhat slow pace. It is easy to catch up.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Oh yea! Chapter 4! This is going to be a treat after chapter 3.

And what was all that about the pool incident? Was it a “water to wine” Jesus miracle?

I will say this, this “pool incident” is a great way to start chapter 4…........what on earth could this be? Answers are what I want most now!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 08 July 2014 12:59 PM

And what was all that about the pool incident? Was it a “water to wine” Jesus miracle?

More likely: “The third angel poured out his bowl on the rivers and springs of water, and they became blood. - Revelation 16:4”, as I see it! There is something very ominous about this

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Chapter 3 wasn’t as bad as I remembered, it had some quite interesting moments, too. And I can’t believe that even though I’ve played it through before, I got stuck on finding the correct wine and had to look it up Tongue (I didn’t the first time, I think) I guess I’ve just gotten dumber since then.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I just finished Chapter 3. What I noticed this time through were the contrasts between Sam and David.

For Sam, nothing has come easily in life, whereas for David—before Laura’s death—pretty much everything in life came to him without requiring much effort: wealth, professional success (even fame), plus the “perfect” mate. When tragedy struck, David had very little resilience built up to fall back on. David seems to lack empathy for other people—at least, the ones outside his small circle of friends (he doesn’t notice Sam’s impoverishment and he calls her “that girl” and hopes to fire her immediately, once she’s done with her job). He seems good at making enemies—how else to explain the nasty rumors about him, when his colleagues at Oxford ought to be giving him the benefit of the doubt after such an unexpected loss. Sam, on the other hand, seems very good at making friends quickly and/or manipulating people because she can get inside their heads and understand them.

Sam is an expert liar. For David, I don’t think it would even occur to him to lie for his own advantage (he’s never needed to). David’s trying to communicate with the dead while he communicates as little as possible with the living. The isolation tank is a good metaphor for his life now. Sam believes only in the here-and-now and thinks anything that smacks of the paranormal must be an illusion.

The in-a-private-home neurology lab in Gray Matter is an intriguing contrast to the one in Tesla Effect.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished chapter 4. Things got more interesting, nice to finally see some interaction between David and Sam. Her recounting of the events to David with her explanation was a good moment into their characters.
Best part of the chapter was probably digging into the lives of the students in the group. Hope for a good explanation on everything.

The Divide and Conquer and Voting tricks were too much off a stretch. That shouldn’t have worked without everybody figuring it out. But to be fair Harvey called out Sam rigged the voting in the end….
The ending of the chapter was kind of the letdown - I want to see what happens to Sam in the Gym experience not go into for another boring David chapter Smile

One design flaw that I’m noticing sometimes the game lacks objectives and feels like I’m going to places just because the place is “gold” or “white” and not really sure what to do.

Sefir - 08 July 2014 12:59 PM

Tip of the week 2: Sometimes stupid riddles require stupid solutions. Damn egg!!

Yep. What the hell was that?! Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I Thought that Chapter 4 was very good. I do have to agree, that Best part of the chapter was probably digging into the lives of the students in the group.

The student group is one of the joys of this game, along with Sam’s ability to investigate the mysteries seemingly as a student of the school - I got a few chuckles out of this chapter.

I thought that David was a bit cruel in this chapter - not much in the way of people skills.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2014-06-05

PM

I’m glad this chapter was finally more fleshed out - but still I think the difficulty level is way, way too low.
It’s just so painfully obvious what you have to do because there are so few areas/people to interact with!

The only subplot that presented a bit of hardship was the Daedalus one.

I really don’t agree with the previous posters who read much into the psychology behind Sam or David. It really doesn’t seem very deep to me - they’re just clichéd opposites, and Sam gets away with ludicrous amounts of “tricking” people - it’s a very far stretch to suspend disbelief for me, the gamer. Wink I refuse to believe that a college student would not be able to see through the “Divide and conquer”-trick. It’s just way, way too easy to get other people to do what Sam wants them to.

Also, what was with the ending cutscene?! Was that David entering the room? I like the graphics style cutscenes, but it can be very hard to see exactly who is who and who says what.
And the “random ballot” was lame. really.

Man, I sound way more critical in my posts than I actually feel while playing the game. I enjoy it alright - I just expected much, much more depth from a JJ game.
Naughty

Happy gaming!

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m through with the 2nd and 3rd chapter. As I said, I love how the story picks up in the 2nd chapter, and one can really sense the “Sierra vibe” in the way the things unfold, similar to GK or even Phantasmagoria.

Also, it may sound far fetched, but the game reminds me of Black Mirror, as well. The two games don’t share similar plots, but especially in the 3rd chapter, there’s a feeling of “uncertainty” and “uneasiness” in the main character from the players’ perspective - Is he a bad guy? Why is he tormented? Is he mad? And we’re gradually exploring and experiencing things your character already “knows”, but we as players, are only now given chance to compassionate with him.

In that sense, I didn’t think the 3rd chapter was that awful as many of you said. It’s true every hotspot is a “Laura hotspot”, but I think it served its purpose to learn of David’s state of mind. The whole secret lab affair reminded of a good old movie with Peter O’Toole, and the RNG machine puzzle is my favorite puzzle so far in the game along with the phone booth puzzle.

My biggest gripes (apart from what I’ve already said about somewhat confusing, or non-existent “diary” and progress bar) are really only on a technical side - the running is poorly done with a constant lag until they get moving; the character’s faces in the bottom left corner during dialogs look like projections in a carnival mirror; the magic tricks execution after we select the right combination is too fast, almost not giving us enough time to enjoy it and be assured of the trick and how Sam pulls it off; also, what’s the point of having a double-click on doors if you’re always going to have me watch David running to that secret lab door and unlock it?! (hey, at least I don’t have to use the key on it every time! Tongue)

Other than that, it’s true magic tricks could have been less spelled out, but let’s wait to see if they get more complicated (even then, I’m quite positively surprised with the overall puzzle design so far).

Some random “excerpts” from my “Print-screen album”: Grin

So, there IS FMV/photo in this game! Laughing

This guy is shady, and having Count Dracula as your first neighbor doesn’t help either!

Bilbo Baggins is a STUDENT?!

The whole “Phantom of the Opera” aura crumbled like a house of cards - he’s just a regular guy who sleeps in his bedroom. Frown

Han Solo, right before taking off.

Doctor is great at pretending he’s actually drinking the wine. Comes in handy for a drinking competition.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

but still I think the difficulty level is way, way too low.

I find all JJ games to be quite easy. Her games tend to be big on story and characters and light on puzzle complexity.

Gray Matter is a good game to introduce people to adventure games - great story and characters and fairly easy.

Anyway, I’ve got chapter 4 finished. I found it wonderful after chapter 3. We are just about half-way through with this game.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top