• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The “not-quite” adventures

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

giom - 07 July 2014 06:39 PM

Shenmue and Shenmue 2 are also great not-quite adventures… I actually am surprised that adventuregamers consider Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain (which are also good, just with harder and more annoying QTEs than shenmue) as being adventures and not Shenmue…

I highly recommend playing it, there’s even a fan version released not long ago with japanese voices and english texts.

4th post

nomadsoul - 21 May 2014 04:33 AM

Shenmue

Like LA noire shooting sections, brawling sections are 10 to 15%, rest are QTEs and mingames in otherwise exploration heavy game.

There are Tekken/Virtuafighter type (Non QTE) melee fighting sections,
some arcade games that are of different genre that makes it action
adventure hybrid. You have to win these fights , IIRC you can skip LANoire action
and shooting sections.

Btw, QTE is created by Shenmue. So industry as a whole is inspired from this game.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Pretty sure QTEs are attributed to Dragon’s Lair.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

nomadsoul - 07 July 2014 10:15 PM
giom - 07 July 2014 06:39 PM

Shenmue and Shenmue 2 are also great not-quite adventures… I actually am surprised that adventuregamers consider Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain (which are also good, just with harder and more annoying QTEs than shenmue) as being adventures and not Shenmue…

I highly recommend playing it, there’s even a fan version released not long ago with japanese voices and english texts.

4th post

True, I hadn’t seen the other recommendations for Shenmue… But still worth it to mention the game for those who don’t know it (plus more people mentioning it means more people trying it out :-) )

nomadsoul - 07 July 2014 10:15 PM
nomadsoul - 21 May 2014 04:33 AM

Shenmue

Like LA noire shooting sections, brawling sections are 10 to 15%, rest are QTEs and mingames in otherwise exploration heavy game.

There are Tekken/Virtuafighter type (Non QTE) melee fighting sections,
some arcade games that are of different genre that makes it action
adventure hybrid. You have to win these fights , IIRC you can skip LANoire action
and shooting sections.

Btw, QTE is created by Shenmue. So industry as a whole is inspired from this game.

Yes but if I remember correctly (it’s been a while, I’ve got to replay it), the important Tekken fights are kind of QTEs in that it tells you which key to press. For example

The QTEs from Shenmue were not too hard and even someone with very poor twitch reflex like me can finish the game. On the contrary Fahrenheit which is considered as an adventure game here is almost impossible for me.

I agree with Antrax, I’d say QTEs are from Dragon’s lair/Space Ace

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

giom - 08 July 2014 05:55 AM

Yes but if I remember correctly (it’s been a while, I’ve got to replay it), the important Tekken fights are kind of QTEs in that it tells you which key to press. For example

The QTEs from Shenmue were not too hard and even someone with very poor twitch reflex like me can finish the game. On the contrary Fahrenheit which is considered as an adventure game here is almost impossible for me.

I agree with Antrax, I’d say QTEs are from Dragon’s lair/Space Ace

These fights are hard and not just QTE finishers, you have to work your way through
with moves and skills

Master baihu cage fight gave me trouble back in the day, his counters ere pain

This fight too

All i can recall right now, searching will yield more

QTE are QuickTimer events, term was Coined by Yu suzuki.
Was used in promotional Shenmue stuff (for clearing confusion with Apple’s QTE)

Later on people made it general term, confusing again with oldies like Dlair,
back then no one ever used the term untill Yu came in.

And technically it was “a fusion of gameplay and movie”, there wasn’t any gameplay
in Dlair. Games like godofwar and later many AAA games that integrated QTEs IN the gameplay itself not JUST with cutscenes or movie like Dlair.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hey guys since most of you love MassEffect, BioWare is doing survey to help them
make next ME, you know what to do, hit those Exploration checkboxes hard and let them know
about the importance of exploration and adventure aspects in RPG Smile.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/69HFZTS

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Just filled out the survey, but as I was not a big fan of driving around in the Mako, I might not have filled it out exactly the way you hoped Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Monument Valley is almost ridiculously short and easy, but it’s very pretty and has some cute and effectively storytelling tricks.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Found out a great free one today. Saira has exploration, puzzles, a mystery to unravel and unfortunately some arcade components, some challenging. If you can stomach the last part, it’s definitely worth a try.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Double Fine’s Costume Quest (2010) and Costume Quest 2 (2014) are cute adventure/RPG hybrids which resemble a Lucasarts style of DOTT/Sam & Max humor and graphics. You play as a group of kids at halloween. The key feature of the game is costumes, which you have to find and put together and which give different powers. These are really fun games, I like them a lot. The only action is during the turn-based combat. When you select an attack you have to press the attack button at a certain time. But it’s easy to win even if you suck at QTEs and timing. And there is lots of puzzle solving involving when to use which costume, finding items for people and of course, collecting candy!

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2010-07-09

PM

Antrax - 20 May 2014 11:15 PM

The Swapper
To be honest I’m not sure why it’s not considered an AG. It’s a puzzle platformer that requires no reflexes, with small, self-contained puzzle rooms and easy navigation between them using a system of teleporters. It has a decent plot and even two endings, so to speak.
It’s almost Braid quality, missing only the extra oomph of a meta layer.

+1000
I can’t believe this masterpiece isn’t in AGs.com database! Hey mods, add this game! I need to give it a 5-star rating! It’s a Puzzle Adventure after all!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top