• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkDarkEyertrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #27: Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-04-21

PM

rtrooney - 24 April 2014 10:24 PM

Well, I finished the chapter and didn’t see it so I am guessing viewing that scene is path-sensitive.

But, at this stage of the game I am more interested in finishing the game than anything else.

It would appear that I am on a different path than others. Some of the puzzles are more difficult for some than others. I found the map-box puzzle difficult, but not impossible. But then I just didn’t “get” the control box puzzle which others found very simple to solve. Right brain/Left brain difficulties I imagine.

This game is kind of wearing me out. If there was ever a playthrough that begged for a “time out” and come back in a week or two with the brain cells refreshed this is it.

The scene(s) in question are mutually exclusive and only kinda-sorta path sensitive. If you’re on path A (the good guy path) or B (the middle of the road path), then the second Archie scene (the one you refer to as 1b) only occurs if you fail to warn Archie (i.e. you don’t fly back to the Cosmic Connection after you’ve already arrived at Roswell). It sounds like you did warn him, so that’s why you got 1a instead. Note: If you’re on path C (BoBD), it doesn’t matter if you warn Archie or not… he’s dead either way.

The difficulty of the puzzles definitely varies with the player. I’ve personally never found the map/box puzzle to be particularly hard, at least not compared to some of the other ones. (You won’t encounter the puzzle I consider to be the most difficult in the game until Day 8.)

I hope you stick with the playthrough. The game can definitely be challenging at times, but I’ve always found it incredibly rewarding, even on subsequent re-plays.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

1) Warned Archie, but only because I was stuck with the Alpha code and was travelling around randomly.
2) Nope, never thought to.

Cheers
Nod

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

For me:

1. Archie Lives!

2. Interesting. All the times I’ve played PD I’ve never seen this clip. It certainly doesn’t impact the MS path though.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

1. Archie Frown , I didn’t even know you could leave Roswell before this playthrough! (and that you could throw the bomb!!

2. He wouldn’t even talk to me

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

So we have now gained access to what used to be one of the most top-secret military research facilities in the USA, but is now clearly and for some unknown reason completely abandoned, and has been for quite a while. Now it is time to explore the place find what we came here for, figure out what has been going on here and how it all relates to our story.

BTW: Don’t you just love the the chapter title? There is something very ominous about it, perhaps for a very good reason

Day seven is also generally considered one of the longest and most difficult chapters in the game, though that depends entirely on how good and fast you are at solving the different puzzles, as there is once again no to very little dialogue in this chapter.

You have 14 days to get through day 7, until Friday the 9th of May evening CET time-zone where we will move on to day 8.

Tip of the Day: The chapter actually starts with a timed puzzle, though it is not immediately obvious. It however doesn’t require any dexterity or sprinting around, just that you figure out what you have to do and do it, in a limited amount of time, or you will die. You can also save during this which I will highly recommend so you don’t have to start all over every time you fail, but keep your original save file from the beginning of the chapter, just in case what you are trying is completely wrong.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 25 April 2014 03:48 PM

[Tip of the Day: The chapter actually starts with a timed puzzle, though it is not immediately obvious. It however doesn’t require any dexterity or sprinting around, just that you figure out what you have to do and do it, in a limited amount of time, or you will die. You can also save during this which I will highly recommend so you don’t have to start all over every time you fail, but keep your original save file from the beginning of the chapter, just in case what you are trying is completely wrong.

I’ll add a little hint to help people if they wish to use it:

If you feel time is running out at the start (you’ll know what I mean) and don’t want to go through everything again do this:

Go back to the laser field area then re-enter the main complex. The time has been reset to the beginning but you haven’t lost anything you’ve done or learnt so far.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well, I finished the chapter and didn’t see it so I am guessing viewing that scene is path-sensitive.

Not really, as ASimpson explained it is either 1-a or 1-b, but not both, with the peculiar exception on BoBD where 1-b will always happen.

It would appear that I am on a different path than others.

Not at all, based on the posts in the thread, I would say the majority is on the same path as you are.

Some of the puzzles are more difficult for some than others. I found the map-box puzzle difficult, but not impossible. But then I just didn’t “get” the control box puzzle which others found very simple to solve. Right brain/Left brain difficulties I imagine.

ASimpson - 25 April 2014 01:40 AM

The difficulty of the puzzles definitely varies with the player. I’ve personally never found the map/box puzzle to be particularly hard, at least not compared to some of the other ones. (You won’t encounter the puzzle I consider to be the most difficult in the game until Day 8.)

Well, isn’t that really the case in all adventure games? Sometimes you just immediately “get it” no matter how hard it is suppose to be, and in other case you can stare at it for hours without having the slightest clue about what you need to do. I have for example never had any problems with that puzzle at day 8 Tongue

This game is kind of wearing me out. If there was ever a playthrough that begged for a “time out” and come back in a week or two with the brain cells refreshed this is it.

The Show Must Go On, but with 14 days for this chapter, there should be enough time to take a little time-out and still have plenty of time to complete the chapter.

Jabod - 25 April 2014 06:47 AM

2. Interesting. All the times I’ve played PD I’ve never seen this clip. It certainly doesn’t impact the MS path though.

Interesting, I thought you had seen it all. There is then also another little scene you have never seen before, as it is a direct result of this one.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 25 April 2014 04:23 PM
Jabod - 25 April 2014 06:47 AM

Interesting, I thought you had seen it all. There is then also another little scene you have never seen before, as it is a direct result of this one.

Actually Izno there’s loads I haven’t seen as I just cannot play the BoBD path. As I said at the start of the play-through I tried to do so but I just hate it. So no romping with Regan for me and no drunk Tex either.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

Iznogood - 24 April 2014 05:49 PM

I think it is about time to once again ask a few questions to round up things up a bit:

1) Did you:

Yep.

Iznogood - 24 April 2014 05:49 PM

2) In chapter 4, did you also remember to:

You know, I don’t remember. It doesn’t ring any bells and I didn’t manage to trigger it from any of my saved games on Day 4. Is there any way to tell if you’ve done it? Would be great to discover a new scene I haven’t seen before. Laughing

I really like the first puzzle(s) of Day 7. They may be a little frustrating at first, but very atmospheric and creepy, and it feels like such an accomplishment when you finally make it.

I’m sorry I never got around to post about finishing day 6. The only thing I have to add is, I’m glad I’m participating in this playthrough before Tesla Effect comes out. I was a little disappointed that the demo contained so many contrived and artificial puzzles but replaying Pandora has made me realize how similar the new game actually seems. The Autotech segment is just one example where they seemed to have struggled a bit to “gameify” the story, and the scenarios don’t really make much sense. The upcoming Roswell segment, on the other hand, is a superb example of when the game really works well as a game. The “side story” of Roswell evolves naturally and the puzzles are challenging, complex, exciting, rewarding and only a little bit contrived in a few places. Tongue Granted, not a whole lot happens regarding the main plot but there’s more of that to come later on. Smile

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Just finished day 6. I too got stuck on that lasercode. The actual puzzle is a famous one that I already knew from other sources.
I saw the questions before I played it so made sure to save Archie but I doubt I would have done that otherwise. Meh
Like Harald I don’t remember if I got that 2nd scene on day 4 or not. Is there a way of finding out?

Walking through the laserfield wasn’t very difficult for me; I didn’t run though. First time I reached the door but acted clumsily with the controls and failed to open it in time. So yes, you die if you’re still inside the building.
On the second try I was outside and lived.

The punched holes puzzle was brutal with only 60 seconds for max points.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

harald - 26 April 2014 01:05 PM

You know, I don’t remember. It doesn’t ring any bells and I didn’t manage to trigger it from any of my saved games on Day 4. Is there any way to tell if you’ve done it? Would be great to discover a new scene I haven’t seen before. Laughing

I believe you get a phone call / message from Gus on your answering machine during Day 5, if you did this, but it doesn’t show on “the path debug” when typing JKY. Also I believe you need to do this immediately or shortly after talking to Emily, so if you can’t trigger it from one of your save files, then it can either mean that you have already done it, or that it is too late. If you want to see this scene, then you should probably try opening your very first save from day 4, and go through the scene with Emily again, but it doesn’t really contain more than shown in the screenshot.

HandsFree - 27 April 2014 05:47 AM

I saw the questions before I played it so made sure to save Archie but I doubt I would have done that otherwise. Meh

Damn it, It wasn’t meant as a hint / help for players aiming for MS Wink I was both hoping and though that all players on MS had already finished this part, or at least already new about it. Well it is only a single boyscout point, so it won’t change anything on its own, and I guess it is impossible to ask these questions about your choices without also providing some hints.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 27 April 2014 02:03 PM
HandsFree - 27 April 2014 05:47 AM

Damn it, It wasn’t meant as a hint / help for players aiming for MS Wink I was both hoping and though that all players on MS had already finished this part, or at least already new about it. Well it is only a single boyscout point, so it won’t change anything on its own, and I guess it is impossible to ask these questions about your choices without also providing some hints.

If you recall Izno I said in a thread elsewhere that there were a couple of places I kept getting wrong when trying to complete the MS path. I said I wouldn’t tell at that point which the second was but not going back to see Archie was it. If you don’t do that you’re blown off MS and no way back. Single point of failure. Took me a couple of years to find that one.

Oh, and day 7 completed.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 27 April 2014 02:12 PM

If you recall Izno I said in a thread elsewhere that there were a couple of places I kept getting wrong when trying to complete the MS path. I said I wouldn’t tell at that point which the second was but not going back to see Archie was it. If you don’t do that you’re blown off MS and no way back. Single point of failure. Took me a couple of years to find that one.

Actually I do recall you said that, and that you very helpfully posted the first point (taking Chelsee to the Flamingo), but according to this endings guide (*guide contains spoilers*) saving Archie is not critically important. Also if you type JKY to see the “path debug screen” then you will see that it doesn’t add to your A or C path flags, but only give you an extra good-guy point. Now of course if you are right on the tipping point in the good-guy department, then it might be critical. I’m not saying you are wrong, as I have never actually managed to complete the game on MS, only that the guide disagrees with you.

Either way, it wasn’t meant as a hint, and perhaps I should have waited a bit longer before asking this question.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Ok, finished day 7.

Managed the timed section without too many problems. Once I had realised what to do with the shovel anyway.

Is there a clue that tells you that the alien entity is attracted to power/energy sources? Hadn’t noticed it was actually on the generator and walked into it! Then realised what I was supposed to do.

As with the Alpha code from day 6, got stuck with item #186 access code It’s right there in front of you!

Cheers
Nod

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Noddy - 28 April 2014 08:52 AM

Is there a clue that tells you that the alien entity is attracted to power/energy sources? Hadn’t noticed it was actually on the generator and walked into it! Then realised what I was supposed to do.
Nod

Yes. You should have a disc and player in separate areas of the dorm. Combine and play and that is some of the info you get given.

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top