• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelTimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Silence - The Whispered World 2

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

dang. well they just lost my money.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

For the last couple of years Daedalic’s games have been the only reliable source for truly satisfying traditional adventure game puzzles for me, so it’s definitely disappointing if they’re moving away from that. Especially with a game that’s supposed to be a spiritual successor to a game that had great puzzles. Of course, there’s always the possibility that they have come up with some other kinds of puzzle mechanics, but I really hope they will continue producing traditional adventures as well.

I’m pretty sure I’m still going to buy this game no matter what, as I’m still very curious about it. But I hope the script will be better than in the last game because there isn’t much appeal left except the visuals if they lose the puzzles.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Oddly enough, the puzzles are the only issue I really have with some of Daedalic’s games. I thought The whispered world went a bit “out there” with some of them due to the lack of subtle messaging and some just being plain not fun. Still, the game was good and Silence: The whispered World 2 looks stunning visually at the moment.

The lack of a inventory might be an issue, but it’s difficult to say right now. We still know very little about the game and they might have a clever and creative way around it.

Definitely a wait and see for me.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

In fact, Daedalic’s games are the best in the last 2-3 years. Not for some of their puzzles, that I find very illogicals and not-making-so-much-sense. But for the stories and ambiance, that are really good. Hope they keep it this way.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

diego - 19 March 2014 10:57 AM

Just read that the newest press release states that in TWW2 there will be “NO inventory and it will feature easier to use one-click interface”.

Oh no….... this is wrong.. WRONG!!! Frown

harald - 20 March 2014 09:15 AM

For the last couple of years Daedalic’s games have been the only reliable source for truly satisfying traditional adventure game puzzles for me, so it’s definitely disappointing if they’re moving away from that.

^This. So very much!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well dropping the inventory certainly seems odd. But I really hope/believe that it won’t also mean that they are dropping puzzles and taking the same route as Telltale did.

It might just mean that they are dropping inventory puzzles in favour of other kinds of puzzles.
Oh god, I really hope that is the case

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Iznogood - 20 March 2014 10:45 AM

Well dropping the inventory certainly seems odd. But I really hope/believe that it won’t also mean that they are dropping puzzles and taking the same route as Telltale did.

That’s the exact thing I’m worried about.

It might just mean that they are dropping inventory puzzles in favour of other kinds of ote]puzzles.
Oh god, I really hope that is the case

Yeah, me too. Even so, I’m still sceptical, inventory puzzles are my favourite kind, I’ve played many adventures lately that hasn’t had any inventory, but not having an inventory hasn’t added anything valuable to those experiences, on the contrary, it’s subtracted from them, and the inventory has been sorely missed on my part.

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Oy… now I’m literally more interested in the graphical technique than the game itself (although it’s probably what King Art are using for BoUT2 right, projection mapping? still, the way the 2D art is used as textures seems exceptional, at least from what little we’ve seen in the gameplay footage).

I’m giving them the benefit of doubt, since they’re so prolific and overall have a great track record in my book. But “no inventory” and “one-click interface”, while not necessarily bad on their own (as I’ve enjoyed games like that, usually ‘despite’ those lacking features though), have become warning signs for me as of late. And my hype-o-meter definitely looks like diegos right now.

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Dag - 20 March 2014 11:10 AM

but not having an inventory hasn’t added anything valuable to those experiences, on the contrary, it’s subtracted from them, and the inventory has been sorely missed on my part.

I really like variety of puzzles, but as you said, if there’s no inventory it just subtracts from the possible combination, thus (mostly, so far) resulting in easier puzzles.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Well now is quite obvious that Telltale bashing had not been without a reason.
Thanks to their money-grabbing and proclaiming interactive stories as adventure games, others eventually followed and a new very dark age is upon us.
May God have mercy on us all!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Bogi - 20 March 2014 05:29 PM

Thanks to their money-grabbing and proclaiming interactive stories as adventure games, others eventually followed and a new very dark age is upon us.

Would you at least wait until the final product is released before making statements like this? There is NOTHING to indicate they’ve gone the Telltale route yet. Plenty of adventure games with puzzles have no inventory. There’s no need to be alarmed just yet.

Besides, I don’t think the internet backdraft at the moment is going to go by unnoticed. I doubt they’ll change course overly drastically and alienate their existing fanbase…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I haven’t seen anyone follow the Telltale route yet, so I don’t understand all this anxiety that all adventure games will go that way. Really feel people are jumping the gun on this game without knowing much about it yet.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

TimovieMan - 20 March 2014 05:46 PM
Bogi - 20 March 2014 05:29 PM

Would you at least wait until the final product is released before making statements like this? There is NOTHING to indicate they’ve gone the Telltale route yet. Plenty of adventure games with puzzles have no inventory. There’s no need to be alarmed just yet.

Besides, I don’t think the internet backdraft at the moment is going to go by unnoticed. I doubt they’ll change course overly drastically and alienate their existing fanbase…

And that’s the very reason I’m making these statements, but unfortunately I doubt that in the long run it will meant something. Pandora’s box is opened, there is no turning back I’m afraid, we can at most only buy some precious time before the inevitable.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

diego - 20 March 2014 12:07 PM
Dag - 20 March 2014 11:10 AM

but not having an inventory hasn’t added anything valuable to those experiences, on the contrary, it’s subtracted from them, and the inventory has been sorely missed on my part.

I really like variety of puzzles, but as you said, if there’s no inventory it just subtracts from the possible combination, thus (mostly, so far) resulting in easier puzzles.

Yeah, or it could just be more obtuse, like in The Cave, where you can only carry 1 item at a time (or 3 rather, as each character can carry one item each). I remember Ron Gilbert talking about adventure games and how they need to change to suit the modern market. Removing inventory was one of his ideas. Another was not having a point and click interface. In my opinion, neither was an improvement to his early adventure games. In The Cave, not having an inventory meant lots of backtracking if you dropped an item that’s needed later. Not being able to double-click through screens made the backtracking even more obtuse. Both of these ideas worked against each other Tongue (That being said, I actually still found The Cave to be one of the most enjoyable adventures of last year).

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 20 March 2014 05:46 PM

But… But that was exactly what Telltale did!
I’m sure that you can understand why some of us previous Telltale and current Daedalic fans are worried

Anyway, I agree that there is no reason to assume the worst just yet. There will be plenty of time for that later Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top