• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games you should give a 2nd chance to

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Going through my GOG shelf, I noticed Botanicula. I’ve stopped playing it after the first chapter or so (I got a bunch of feathers so the fat guy could take off) because the game play was annoying, I’m not a fan of a click frenzy to see what happens, that’s good for kids’ games mostly. Then again, that game is quite acclaimed, so I kept it installed on the off-chance I’ll get bored some day.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

gray pierce - 18 November 2013 09:25 PM

I quite liked the gameplay in Gemini Rue. It was very story focussed which is a definite plus if ou have a game with a story as fantastic as Gemini Rue’s was, Gemini Rue is one of those few games i can safely say in terms of story measures up to a good movie. it was deep, emotional, thought provoking and filled with amazing twists worthy of a Christopher Nolan feature. As I said it is one of the best games I’ve played.

I liked it too, just thought Resonance had better. Both are very solid games 4+ or even 4½ stars with good stories and game mechanics, Gemini Rue is just a tad better with former and Resonance with latter.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Antrax - 19 November 2013 04:24 AM

Going through my GOG shelf, I noticed Botanicula. I’ve stopped playing it after the first chapter or so (I got a bunch of feathers so the fat guy could take off) because the game play was annoying, I’m not a fan of a click frenzy to see what happens, that’s good for kids’ games mostly. Then again, that game is quite acclaimed, so I kept it installed on the off-chance I’ll get bored some day.

Play it again. I did exactly the same as you - uninstalled even before the first chapter ended. A year later I gave it another shot and it’s now my favorite game of last year and probably in my top 25 adventure games ever.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Sage - 18 November 2013 04:13 PM

Perhaps you’re thinking of this puzzle from Zork- Nemesis-

I don’t remember that puzzle having any particular sound involved except the sound of rushing gas, but I must admit that I have a bad habit of listening to unrelated music CDs while (re)playing games and thus may have forgotten any auditory clues.

Thanks for the thought Sage, but that’s not it. I actually have The Zork Legacy Collection (Zork Nemesis, Return To Zork & the Anthology of the first 5 Zork games) plus Zork Grand Inquisitor and, for some reason, I’ve never started any of them (which is why they’re not on my list). Don’t ask me why.

As I recall the puzzle was 5 beams of wavy, slightly blurred, vertical white light, each, I think, tinged with a different colour. I can certainly remember pink and blue.

To bring this back on thread I completely forgot to put Dreamfall into my original list - mainly due to it being on a totally different shelf away from the shelves of all the other games.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

millenia - 19 November 2013 05:26 AM
gray pierce - 18 November 2013 09:25 PM

I quite liked the gameplay in Gemini Rue. It was very story focussed which is a definite plus if ou have a game with a story as fantastic as Gemini Rue’s was, Gemini Rue is one of those few games i can safely say in terms of story measures up to a good movie. it was deep, emotional, thought provoking and filled with amazing twists worthy of a Christopher Nolan feature. As I said it is one of the best games I’ve played.

I liked it too, just thought Resonance had better. Both are very solid games 4+ or even 4½ stars with good stories and game mechanics, Gemini Rue is just a tad better with former and Resonance with latter.

Agreed. Even though I (clearly) didn’t like the Resonance gameplay I can see why someone who likes that kind of thing would. Also for me Gemini Rue is 5/5. I can;t think of a single thing I didn’t like about it. Had it not been for Dragon Age Origins which I am playing now it would’ve been my Game of the Year. Now it’ll just have to do with the slightly less pretigious title Adventure Game of the Year.

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Jabod - 16 November 2013 10:31 AM

Following on from Advie’s thread about games you’ve changed your mind over I was thinking about games I’ve bought/been given as presents that I’ve started but quit for some reason or other and never had a 2nd go at. Not sure whether I’m looking for opinions on what to try again or showing what I couldn’t get on with at the time of playing them Smile

Anyway - my list:

Myst

As I detailed in an earlier post, the spaceship puzzle is possibly the hardest puzzle in that game but it can be solved mathematically rather than musically.  Actually, Myst in general is fairly hard because the solutions to many of the puzzles are not organic to the game and would be impossible to figure out without the hints in the tower.

Riven (I can guess what people will say about this!)

If you never actually started Riven, then it’s definitely worth a try as the puzzle solutions generally make more sense within the context of the game than did the ones in Myst.

Myst III Exile

I liked Exile well enough, but it’s puzzles have more of a random, “yeah, this is cool and challenging but why would anyone bother building this here to begin with?” kind of a quality.

Myst IV Revelation

This one is actually on MY list.  I got about a quarter of the way into it when the computer on which I was playing it bit the dust and I never finished it.  I really should start it again as I found it delightfully challenging as far as I got with it.

Jabod - 18 November 2013 09:35 AM

Myst III onwards I never actually started so scrub those. They were all presents from people when they found out I liked adventure games but I know I never finished Myst but I’m not sure I ever started Riven. I know I quit one of them because I had to play what I called a “light harp” note for note and I have tonal hearing problems so I couldn’t get past that. If it was Myst then I never did start Riven (and it’s why I’ve never started any of the other Myst game).

In my opinion the next two after Myst get progressively easier (not “easy” per se, just easier), and they all give you enough necessary back-story to stand on their own so you don’t have to play them strictly in order of release.

Jabod - 19 November 2013 09:58 AM

I actually have The Zork Legacy Collection (Zork Nemesis, Return To Zork & the Anthology of the first 5 Zork games) plus Zork Grand Inquisitor and, for some reason, I’ve never started any of them (which is why they’re not on my list). Don’t ask me why.

The Anthology of the first 5 Zork Games-
I don’t have the patience to play text adventures, so you’re a better man than I am if you can tackle and complete those.

Return To Zork-
Despite it’s dated graphics it’s worth a go. 

Zork Nemesis-
Taken on it’s own merits it’s a classic, but don’t bother looking for typical Zorkian humor in Zork Nemesis because it is conspicuous in it’s absence.

Zork Grand Inquisitor-
I’m still looking for a copy of the Mac version so I can play this one.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Damn, maybe in half of the last year’s threads there is a comparison between Gemini Rue and Resonance. This should stop already Smile Anyways, i have to agree with millenia. They are both top quality games. The first slightly better in story and atmosphere and the latter slightly better in gameplay. I find it hard to like the one and dislike the other. And we surely have very different tastes because it’s hard for me to figure out how one gets put off by such games. GR has one of the best atmosphere, mood and pace I’ve seen in a game and grabs you from the beginning with this bladerunnish dystopian noir feel. Resonance on the other hand has this very unique way to avoid the conversation cliche to talk with everybody about everything (the short term memory) and it’s puzzles are really decent. Logical, within the setting and the story, not easy but well hinted. I used walkthrough only with the door-opening mechanism. But oh well, I for example am very put off by all the fantasy world games and I didn’t give chance to lots of these games (and I’m sure plenty of them are pretty decent). It’s so interesting how a bunch of fans of this niche genre can have so different tastes. I can be easily repelled by a game because of it’s art style, setting, dialogue and story but I can close my eyes for lets say not so clever puzzles, bugs, outdated graphics or lack of voice over. Whereas other people are vice versa.

About the second chances:

I did give one to Dreamfall - First time I was really disappointed. Almost no puzzles, only walking around. No point n click, funny control. I missed April and the dystopian look of New Venice. Uninstall. Later on I gave it a second chance. The problems were still there but I was prepared so I closed my eyes for them and received a very well told interactive story. Now I’m really anticipating Chapters and I hope it will be a good mix between the first two games.

I still haven’t given a chance to GK2. I have big problems with mediocre acting in FMV games. As someone said in another thread, some adult movies have more decent acting. On the other hand I was so used to Gabriel from the first game and I had a hard time believing that this is a sequel to the first game. (not only Tim Curry’s voice but Gabriel’s charisma as a whole. He was confident, narcissistic, kind of a prick sometimes but in such a classy way that you always forgive him. I saw nothing like that in Dean Erickson’s whiny acting.) Uninstall. Of course I will play the game for sure because it’s an obvious classic but I still need more time.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sage

In my opinion the next two after Myst get progressively easier (not “easy” per se, just easier), and they all give you enough necessary back-story to stand on their own so you don’t have to play them strictly in order of release.

I don’t understand! do you suggest that Riven is easier than Myst?!
I think Exile is the easiest of the series and then Myst (and if we forgot about the obnoxious MystV) then I would say the Riven and Revelation are almost equal, tho everyone will agree that Riven is the hardest of them

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Advie - 20 November 2013 10:12 AM

Sage

I don’t understand! do you suggest that Riven is easier than Myst?!

To me, Riven was easier than Myst… but then I also really enjoyed Rhem (once famously described as “Myst for plumbers” Wink ), so I realize my opinion is not shared by a lot of adventure gamers.  Also my opinion might be colored by the fact that Myst was the first adventure game I’d ever played whereas I’d had some experience with the conventions of the genre before tackling Riven and had a better idea what to look for in terms of in-game hints and signposts.

I think Exile is the easiest of the series

On that we agree fully.

and then Myst (and if we forgot about the obnoxious MystV) then I would say the Riven and Revelation are almost equal, tho everyone will agree that Riven is the hardest of them.

Hmmm… I can’t really compare Revelation and Riven intelligently since I only got a quarter of the way through Revelation, but as far as I did get I will agree that Riven and Revelation seemed to be equally challenging.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Adding “Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor” to the list. It’s in the site’s top 100 but the game is so irritating I’m going to wait to be bedridden or something before I give it a second shot. The interface is inexcusable, not being able to skip dialogue is silly and just now I found it operates on a sort of clock which means I can’t do whatever I like, when I like, which is a huge turn-off for me.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I’m currently stalled with Gemini Rue.
I should probably go back to it soon, before I’ve forgotten so much I have to start it over. It wasn’t bad, but I felt like playing something in a less bleak gameworld.

Inherit the Earth is another game I stalled out on when I tried it a few years ago. But if it’s the next community playthrough game, that situation will be remedied.

A few years ago I got stalled about halfway through Schizm, but 6 months later I tried it again and thought it was great. I have to be in the right mood to enjoy a game like that. I’d probably enjoy it more than Gemini Rue at the moment since the last few games I’ve played have been 3rd person and I like to alternate. But replaying Schizm is a bit of a hassle on modern computers. It probably won’t work outside of a VM.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

Syberia ,definetly.

I started playing it and lost interrest in the first 5 MINUTES. I menaged to play it for half a hour before giving up. It bored me to HELL!

P.S.

Really? Resonance? I loved that game!

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Syberia is about the style. If you think it’s pretty, you’ll love the game. If not, you won’t. There really isn’t anything to the game beyond the artistic style, it either gets you or it doesn’t.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

There’s more to Syberia than just whether the graphics are “pretty” or not.
Anyone remember this?
http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934

The complete essay seems to be on the web archive

Or you can download a zip from one of the links in this thread
http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26164

I thought it was an interesting way to look at Syberia, though if you’re only interested in Syberia as a “game” you may not be happy with it.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

CroGamer - 27 November 2013 12:24 PM

Syberia ,definetly.

I started playing it and lost interrest in the first 5 MINUTES. I menaged to play it for half a hour before giving up. It bored me to HELL!

P.S.

Really? Resonance? I loved that game!

I think it’s all about what people look for in adventure games.  For me, character interaction is a HUGE part of the draw to adventure games, so games like Syberia, Myst, or Professor Layton were pretty boring to me.

For others that care more about puzzles, they may love those but hate a game like The Walking Dead.  Whereas I found it one of the most enjoyable games in years.

Though yeah, it is hard to understand why someone would dislike Resonance, since I found both the gameplay and the story to be extremely satisfying.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top