• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games you should give a 2nd chance to

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Silver

What game is this? 
Did a search on Adv Gamer and found nothing.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Currently I have both The Feeble Files, Larry 7 (replay), Kentucky Route Zero, Amerzone, Sherlock Holmes The Awakened, Stacking and Machinarium, which I have all started playing but for some reason or another abandoned again.

I however still have them all installed on my computer and fully intent to play them to the finish! - That is when or if my interest in the games get rekindled, or I get sufficiently bored and actually have time to play them, and no new games that grabs my interest instead gets released, and of course I don’t start playing some of the other games I have installed but haven’t even tried yet.

But I stopped playing them with the honest intent of only taking a break from them, so I’m not sure if it actually counts as “Games you should give a 2nd chance to”

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

LadyLinda - 18 November 2013 08:37 AM

Silver

What game is this? 
Did a search on Adv Gamer and found nothing.

My mistake here (along with a couple of others) Pan

When I was thinking about this after reading Advie’s thread (see first post here) I went through all my games and listed those that I (thought I) had quit on. Back in the day I tried games that I thought were an adventure/rpg type cross-over but they never worked so I gave them all away, or so I thought. Silver got left behind some how. Details of it can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_(video_game)

A couple of other mistakes I inadvertently made in compiling that list.

Myst III onwards I never actually started so scrub those. They were all presents from people when they found out I liked adventure games but I know I never finished Myst but I’m not sure I ever started Riven. I know I quit one of them because I had to play what I called a “light harp” note for note and I have tonal hearing problems so I couldn’t get past that. If it was Myst then I never did start Riven (and it’s why I’ve never started any of the other Myst game).

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

A Vampyre Story.

It’s not just me, several people mentioned in the community playthrough that they had somewhat disliked the game earlier on and left it unfinished, when after the playthrough people were giving it a lot of praise with mainly scores of 3½-4 stars.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jabod - 18 November 2013 09:35 AM

I know I quit one of them because I had to play what I called a “light harp” note for note and I have tonal hearing problems so I couldn’t get past that. If it was Myst then I never did start Riven (and it’s why I’ve never started any of the other Myst game).

you mean the slider 5 notes puzzle at Myst (the 1st) right? .. I don’t remember or know what you mean by harp puzzle at any of the other Myst(s)!

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Advie - 18 November 2013 12:28 PM

I know I quit one of them because I had to play what I called a “light harp” note for note and I have tonal hearing problems so I couldn’t get past that. If it was Myst then I never did start Riven (and it’s why I’ve never started any of the other Myst game).

you mean the slider 5 notes puzzle at Myst (the 1st) right? .. I don’t remember or know what you mean by harp puzzle at any of the other Myst(s)!

Cheers Advie, I think that that’s the puzzle. There were 5 different coloured lights that looked vaguely like a harp would if it was made up of 5 light “strings”. You had to play them in a specific order which, if I remember correctly, were played for you first. If that’s the one then I haven’t played Riven either as that was where I would’ve given up on Myst.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

allow be to bring you that bad memory again

Tongue

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

gray pierce - 17 November 2013 01:40 PM
Antrax - 17 November 2013 01:21 AM

I really don’t see how anyone can not like Resonance.

I don’t even “not like” Resonance. I seriously hate it. Almost as much as I hate Schizm. The story is all right if nothing spectacular but the gameplay is god awful. I quit playing halfway through because I just got so fed up with having to use a walkthrough for every frickin puzzle! And even with a walkthrough it was near undoable. Half the puzzles feel like playing a text adventure. To my mind the only way you can finish this game is if you’re a programmer or just really good at maths and I’m neither of those two. I’m not saying it’s a bad game but I very seriously hate it.

Wow.  It’s so strange how much people’s opinions can vary.

I LOVED the gameplay in Resonance, and completed the whole thing without a walkthrough.  And I almost never do that anymore.  I thought the puzzles and gameplay mechanics were excellent.

And the story was really good too.  It’s probably my favorite traditional adventure game since 1999.

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Jabod - 18 November 2013 12:47 PM
Advie - 18 November 2013 12:28 PM

Cheers Advie, I think that that’s the puzzle. There were 5 different coloured lights that looked vaguely like a harp would if it was made up of 5 light “strings”. You had to play them in a specific order which, if I remember correctly, were played for you first. If that’s the one then I haven’t played Riven either as that was where I would’ve given up on Myst.

Quite understandable, as that is arguably the hardest puzzle in Myst, at least for those of us not possessed of either perfect pitch or at least a basic knowledge of music theory.

Advie - 18 November 2013 12:57 PM

Tongue

However, as the narrator points out it is quite possible to count tonal “notches” on the sliders (each key left-to-right on the keyboard being equivalent to one “notch” bottom-to-top on the sliders) and solve the puzzle that way.

Riven does, if I recall correctly, have a puzzle or two that relies on auditory clues but they’re much easier than the spaceship puzzle in Myst because they use the widely divergent sounds of local wildlife rather than similar tones on a keyboard.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Tongue

That’s not how I remember it as it happens but I’m probably getting confused with something else with regards to the “light harp” as I definitely remember sorting out the voltage and there’s no way I would get past the puzzle as shown.

I wonder where the “light harp” actually came from? What I do recall is that the notes you had to play were randomly generated which meant a walkthrough couldn’t help.
Anyway - I’m side-tracking me own thread

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Detective Mosely - 18 November 2013 01:45 PM

Wow.  It’s so strange how much people’s opinions can vary.

I LOVED the gameplay in Resonance, and completed the whole thing without a walkthrough.  And I almost never do that anymore.  I thought the puzzles and gameplay mechanics were excellent.

And the story was really good too.  It’s probably my favorite traditional adventure game since 1999.

Yeah I really liked the game play too and found the difficulty very suitable for me (and I’m not one longing for a huge challenge). Gemini Rue’s story was probably slightly better but Resonance catches up with the game play.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jabod - 18 November 2013 02:11 PM

Tongue

That’s not how I remember it as it happens but I’m probably getting confused with something else with regards to the “light harp” as I definitely remember sorting out the voltage and there’s no way I would get past the puzzle as shown.

well this puzzles considered the most difficult one at Myst as Sage mentioned esp. for any one who haven’t a musical instrument talent which was not fair, I happen to use my instrument instead of going back and forth to strum the keyboard notes.

but well maybe we are trying to make you give Myst a 2nd chance so that might be not of topic.. Grin

there is another puzzle concerning sound , not notes just after that one mentioned above, its at the Selenitic Age the one with the rocket ship and it has the 5 different colors you as you mentioned earlier

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Advie - 18 November 2013 02:40 PM

Tongue

well this puzzles considered the most difficult one at Myst as Sage mentioned esp. for any one who haven’t a musical instrument talent which was not fair, I happen to use my instrument instead of going back and forth to strum the keyboard notes.

but well maybe we are trying to make you give Myst a 2nd chance so that might be not of topic.. Grin

there is another puzzle concerning sound , not notes just after that one mentioned above, its at the Selenitic Age the one with the rocket ship and it has the 5 different colors you as you mentioned earlier

Nope that’s not it at all. There were 5 strands of light involved. Probably from a completely different game.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Jabod - 18 November 2013 03:17 PM
Advie - 18 November 2013 02:40 PM

Tongue

Nope that’s not it at all. There were 5 strands of light involved. Probably from a completely different game.

Perhaps you’re thinking of this puzzle from Zork- Nemesis-

I don’t remember that puzzle having any particular sound involved except the sound of rushing gas, but I must admit that I have a bad habit of listening to unrelated music CDs while (re)playing games and thus may have forgotten any auditory clues.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

millenia - 18 November 2013 02:12 PM

Gemini Rue’s story was probably slightly better but Resonance catches up with the game play.

I quite liked the gameplay in Gemini Rue. It was very story focussed which is a definite plus if ou have a game with a story as fantastic as Gemini Rue’s was, Gemini Rue is one of those few games i can safely say in terms of story measures up to a good movie. it was deep, emotional, thought provoking and filled with amazing twists worthy of a Christopher Nolan feature. As I said it is one of the best games I’ve played.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top