• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

skeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s Play Keepsake

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Diego—I apologize for not responding to your question earlier—I’ve just returned from a vacation in beautiful Boise, Idaho.

Iznogood - 17 August 2013 10:17 AM

The answer to the riddles are not obvious and it is a quite difficult puzzle

I found the riddles to be almost impossible because they were so vague. Most riddles have a trick to them, but these seemed almost arbitrary. I wonder if perhaps they were translated from a different language, losing some of the nuances along the way.

I’m currently reacquainting myself with the upper academy and feeling quite thankful for the map. My favorite locations so far are the solarium and the observatory. Nathaniel’s office is amazing. How can he be so grumpy when he has such a spectacular view?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 19 August 2013 09:18 PM

... I wonder if perhaps they were translated from a different language, losing some of the nuances along the way.

Well Wicked Studio was a (French?) Canadian company so I guess it is possible, but to me they felt very much like they were written for the game, and not take from some riddle book or similar. Anyway it was a difficult puzzle, but is far from being the most difficult in the game imo.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Wasn’t there in Legend of Kyrandia 3 something like a “floating islands”?:

Yeap, close enough.

Now, here’s your typical Myst-clone sight - “puzzle in stone” reminds me a bit of Timelapse. However, I don’t think I can tackle this puzzle yet.

Celeste’s quarters. Now, prior to entering, Lydia had another vision, and it’s finally revealed who, or what Zak is. Tongue

Yeah, you’re being honest now when everyone and their dog knows your true identity!

So he knew Celeste, which pisses of Lydia:

who locks up Zak in the room.

Cliffs of Dover Dragonvale in behind. Calm sight and moment for Lydia to organize her thoughts.

The owl returns! Now, with Zak (“panther”), and the owl (“hawk”) Lydia now only lacks a pair of weasels to replace the Beastmaster:

Zak telling a strange story of how he escaped the room.

Awww… Zak felt Lydia will ignore him once she finds Celeste.

More teleport pads.

They’re not that similar sights, but it made me think of A Vampyre Story:

I feel like I’m walking in circles here.

That’s the line I’ll hear quite a few times!:

Ok, the control room. Now, this is a very interesting puzzle, and the second one in the game which forced me to exhibit my sketching skills:

even though it did help me to solve it eventually (the goal is to rearrange the columns and “fill in” the red, blue and yellow circles), but I swear I have no idea how I did it - I think it’s not straightforward as I thought and the patterns “change” as you move collumns. I guess it was magic. Grin

Now, this part of the Academy resembles space freighter more than a school:

A painting studio. Evokes memory of some obscure little adventure:

and just like in The Longest Journey, you can zoom in some of the paintings - actually, you can inspect all of the paintings from these “towers”, and some of those neatly look like a game’s concept art.

I don’t know what I’m doing here, so let’s just leave it for now.

It’s a trap!

An old trick with entering the seemingly much smaller room Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 21 August 2013 10:38 AM

Ok, the control room. Now, this is a very interesting puzzle, and the second one in the game which forced me to exhibit my sketching skills:
even though it did help me to solve it eventually (the goal is to rearrange the columns and “fill in” the red, blue and yellow circles), but I swear I have no idea how I did it - I think it’s not straightforward as I thought and the patterns “change” as you move collumns. I guess it was magic. Grin

The mechanics of the puzzle is that the coloured circles on the columns will either turn on or turn off the same coloured circle on the teleporter, depending on whether or not it is already turned on or off, whereas the blank circles will leave the same circle on the teleporter unchanged. At least that was what I was able to deduce before:

TimovieMan - 18 August 2013 04:56 PM

I’m amazingly good at fluking those while composing a strategy for solving them.
Often elicits an “awww, I solved it already… Embarassed”.

the same happened for me Confused

First I toyed a bit around with the controls, to figure out how it work and what I had to accomplish. Once I had figured out the mechanics I started mapping the circles on the first column and then ... awww, I solved it already… Embarassed
Before I was even finished mapping the first column ... well, only two of the circles where filled but the third was completely blank, and I immediately knew what to do to light up the third.

It actually felt a bit like premature ejaculation Frown ... not that I know what premature ejaculation fells like ... It has never happen for me ... Honestly it hasn’t  

Awww… Zak felt Lydia will ignore him once she finds Celeste.

Apparently the only one, besides Lydia, that has ever been nice too Zak is *tada* Celeste. It does explain a few things about Zak. Anyway it makes me wonder what Zak’s third test was? Something to do with heights perhaps, or perhaps something to do with bullies?

This is really where it began to fell like a magic school. I mean were else to you get to walk on the outside of a building, with the gravity pulling you inwards instead of downwards?

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Diego—an exemplary sketch for the teleport pad/control room puzzle. I took the long way and assigned each circle a number, recorded the color pattern on each side of the column, then went through an “if, then” process. As Iznogood observed, two of the same colors in the same spot would cancel each other out. I didn’t stumble across the solution, unfortunately. Stumbling across a solution usually makes me feel as though I’ve stumbled across an unexpected gift.

Obviously, not everyone else feels this way about it.  Foot in mouth

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Part 7: “The second biggest telescope I’ve ever seen!”

Fair enough.

Now, this is the first time I’m getting this kind of “hint”. Angry 

There’re several “lockers” like this one, but now I’m even more confused. I think I’ll be leaving here.

It’s a nice view, but also a nice slow music theme mixed with the sound of a howling wind. (which reminds me I need to see Howl’s Moving Castle already:)

Why do I get the feeling the puzzle with these balls is going to be tough? Shifty Eyed

Traveling to the “statues” balcony for the first time.

And into the planetarium.

Luckily for you Lydia, there’s not a single teacher in the school! Smile

Woohoo!! I have no idea what I’m supposed to do, but it’s nice!

Again, Lydia is in luck that no teacher overheard her mixing up the telescope with a spyglass. Perhaps, this teacher?

Ohhh-oh summer wine nights (actually, why is it that I’ve always thought the lyrics to this song are “Summer Time” ?)

It’s not an adventure game without an astronomy puzzle!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

All I can say to you, Diego, is that you are going to have a hard time with that puzzle. I couldn’t do it…

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

UruBoo - 29 August 2013 09:11 PM

All I can say to you, Diego, is that you are going to have a hard time with that puzzle. I couldn’t do it…

Yep - Not to discourage you Diego, but that one is in my humble opinion by far the most difficult in the game (and one of two puzzle I had to give up on). There is still a long way until you have to solve it though.

diego - 29 August 2013 08:33 PM

Now, this is the first time I’m getting this kind of “hint”. Angry

Probably because it is not actually a puzzle, hence the no hint!
Though they could have written a better message, or disabled the hint button I suppose.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m just skimming the thread to avoid spoilers, but man, that is one B-U-tiful-looking game!!! I think I’ll bump this a little on my list (or maybe propose it for a future Community Playthrough)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Yeah, Keepsake IS a great game. It should be more recognized.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

diego - 29 August 2013 08:33 PM

It’s a nice view, but also a nice slow music theme mixed with the sound of a howling wind. (which reminds me I need to see Howl’s Moving Castle already:)

I just finished watching Howl’s Moving Castle for the umpteenth time. Diego, you definitely should see it. 

I think I’ve done everything I can in the library in Keepsake. It might still have a surprise or two left, though. I’ve stumbled onto a footpath taking me on a journey far above the landscape. It’s a good thing that Zak is over his vertigo problems.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I don’t remember any such foothpath, exactly where did you find it?

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

TimovieMan - 30 August 2013 12:14 PM

or maybe propose it for a future Community Playthrough)...

I would be up for it!

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Iznogood - 17 September 2013 02:54 PM

I don’t remember any such foothpath, exactly where did you find it?

The path branches off from the location that, on the map, is called “Oracle.”

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

“When we last left our intrepid heroes - freshman Lydia and the freshly turned cat Zak, they were in search of… they were trying to find out what the heck is going on in this school…”

Keepsake - a romantic point & click adventure. It may look like a nightfall, but it’s not. Don’t ask me to explain, I couldn’t do it. It’s magic.

Well, that’s a relief.

Are these statues playing basketball or blocking the sun? Whatever the reason, this is one the more enchanting scenes in the game.

Hmmmm…

There’s a familiar scene - somehow, I missed this path earlier, but I’ve already seen it - on the cover art!

Smoke on the water and fire in the sky

So that’s where the old geezer spent most of his time.

Let’s pause and think it for a moment (actually, all these walking and running had made me hungry).

Ok, let’s explore Nathaniel’s office:

DOES ANYTHING HAPPENS TO WORK IN THIS FRICKIN’ SCHOOL?

Uhh… I’m fine, really. Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top