• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Armikrog - The Neverhood developers making a new game

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2011-03-04

PM

Sad that this is not part of the same Neverhood universe. The Wall of Records was awesome and with lot of potential for new stories.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

sordy-wordy - 31 May 2013 02:16 AM

Sad that this is not part of the same Neverhood universe. The Wall of Records was awesome and with lot of potential for new stories.

Maybe it’s a rights issue as well? Many of the “spiritual successor” Kickstarters were not sequels (or within the same universe) because of the rights being too expensive to obtain (or being in legal limbo)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I’m interested to see something different. We have way too many sequels coming on the way. Besides, this looks extremely neverhoodish so I’m guessing it will really feal like a neverhood game (except for the speech part). But I’m always happy when a designer tries to create different things and not stick to same franchise over and over again.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

badlemon - 04 June 2013 04:00 PM

But I’m always happy when a designer tries to create different things and not stick to same franchise over and over again.

Some games create a universe that hints at so much more than the first game showed. Setting another game in that same universe (even without links to the events of the first game) does not necessarily have to mean that the designer can’t take a different approach within that same universe…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

EA owns the Neverhood rights, including the “universe” itself, so that was really never an option.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Well, it’s a gray area. EA does not own the rights to the art style, look, or feel of The Neverhood, so if something doesn’t have direct references to The Neverhood’s mythology, locations, or characters, it’s not likely to get them sued.

Like what they did for Return to Neverhood. If that was a game (and they didn’t call it Neverhood) that probably wouldn’t be a problem for them, legally, but most people would recognize it as being the same “universe.”

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-06-13

PM

Cmon guys they need our help! pledge as much as you can!!! Smile
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1949537745/armikrog
Seize the clay!

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

I was just checking the Armikrog kickstarter and notice that it has now fallen behind the $30,000 per day it needs to meet its goal, and it will need an average donation of $34,000 per day for the remaining days.

I don’t really know much about kickstarter though, does the funding usually start to ramp up towards the final few days?

Also, with such a lofty goal of $900,000 and with nearly 2/3 of the funds already in, do you think at this point the people running Armikrog won’t let it fail? Even if they fell short they could temporarily donate some of their own money and then get it back when the funds are made available to them, turning a potentially failed kickstarter into a mere budget cut.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

There generally IS a big boost at the end of a project, but I’m getting nervous about this one. Today was a big day, but that was because of two huge backers. And even then it still didn’t meet the average needed to make the goal.

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Not that I’m an expert on this but it seems like it would be better to have a kickstarter end after the first of a new month since most people get their paychecks then, and it would coincide with the typical last few days boost. Instead the Amrikrog kickstarter ends on the 27th.

Do you think the idea I said of people running a kickstarter project making up the difference with their own money is a viable and/or common one?

I know if I was running a kickstarter of this magnitude, which is almost certain to get at least $700,000 in funding, I would not let it fail and I’d temporarily make up the difference with my own money.

I also wonder if this was their strategy from the beginning, as the more people ask for the more they get. Maybe they purposefully set the funding goal so high in order to get the maximum amount, planning to make up the difference all along.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gonna be really dissapointed, it aint gonna make it Frown

Politics 1, Games 0

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-06-13

PM

It’s gonna make it, be trustful! Prepare for the big boost at the end and raise your pkedge as much as you can! Smile

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

AdorableMogwai - 17 June 2013 08:45 PM

Do you think the idea I said of people running a kickstarter project making up the difference with their own money is a viable and/or common one?

I doubt it, I can’t say that it has never happened or never will happen, e.g. the pledges of AR-K looked a bit suspicious. But if you have money to put into the project yourself, why not just do it from the start, and set the goal on Kickstarter lower, and if you believe you can actually make the game for less, why not just ask for less, have some stretch goals and be happily surprised if you get more.

AdorableMogwai - 17 June 2013 08:45 PM

I also wonder if this was their strategy from the beginning, as the more people ask for the more they get. Maybe they purposefully set the funding goal so high in order to get the maximum amount, planning to make up the difference all along.

I think it works the exact opposite way, if you ask for too much money, people will become suspicious and doubt if the project will reach its goal, and many will not back a project if they believe the goal is unrealistically high. 

The idea of Kickstarter is that the project will only get funded if it reaches its goal, so developers will usually (hopefully) calculate how much they absolutely need to realize the project and ask for that. If they only get half of that, then there is really no point in trying to make the game for half the budget, unless of course they just guessed at how much money they needed.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Iznogood - 18 June 2013 07:43 AM

I think it works the exact opposite way, if you ask for too much money, people will become suspicious and doubt if the project will reach its goal, and many will not back a project if they believe the goal is unrealistically high.

It’s a balance. If you can get over 66%, you’re probably going to make it, so setting your goal a little high can motivate people to raise their pledges at the last minute and push things over the top. See, for example, Shadowrun Online or Republique.

However, if your goal is so high it doesn’t seem possible, people just give up entirely, like with Shadow of the Eternals.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Honestly, I think it’s just a hard time, right now, for Adventure Game Kickstarters (and maybe Kickstarters in general).  Many of the big ones hit last year, right around this time.  The only game that is close to release at this point is Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded.  People might either be tapped out monitarily, or they’re waiting for games they already pledged on, or maybe some don’t like the concept.  I honestly don’t think Armikrog is being his by some giant political agenda.  The concept may not be appealing to enough people.

Bill Tiller’s A Vampyre Story is struggling HARD, and all I ever hear from people is “Bill Tiller, Bill Tiller, Monkey Island 3, Bill Tiller!!!”  so I’m surprised that one isn’t doing better, either.

Bt

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top