• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: Home β†’ Forum Home β†’ Gaming β†’ Adventure β†’ Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zane

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #73 - Amerzone

Total Posts: 5614

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That’s why I didn’t put a time limit on it.  I thought it was shorter than the first section but wasn’t sure until I played it again.  However, it has taken me longer because I forgot I had to fill the gas tank and then forgot where to fill it.πŸ™„

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

In the meantime I will share what I thought of this first part, or rather how my trip has been so far.

As soon as I started the first thing I noticed was the pixelated graphics and the impossibility to change the resolution, I wished and hope that this is not a barrier to enjoy the game and so far (apart from some random complaints of mine) it has not been. I found the animation of the postman to be just right. I try not to let the graphics become a setback unless it’s really terrible.  It’s obvious that this game hasn’t aged well but for now it’s tolerable.  I also noticed the sound was a bit clunky and the movements a bit jerky. But once I start playing it all these aspects become secondary.

If the presentation hadn’t told me it was a Benoit Sokal game, I’m sure I could have guessed it, you can see his artistic style that later in his future games will be so characteristic and beautiful. Surely he had to leave a lot of ideas and concepts in the pipeline in this his first game. But his brush strokes are noticeable.

A few minutes into the game and it is already clear what we have to do and more or less where the story goes, Valembois tells us as soon as we talk to him what has tormented him for so many years and what he needs us to do for him and if we did not understand his voice well (like me) the notes and letters are in charge of repeating our objective.

The handwritten book also gives us the necessary clues to solve what is coming, which is simple. Just bring back the egg that has some special meaning to a mysterious island called Amerzone. (It was an island, wasn’t it?).

The first thing I did was make a phone call, and although I didn’t understand exactly what the other person was saying, the tone of his voice indicated that he was confusing me with someone else and that he didn’t appreciate that I was calling.

The puzzles in this section seemed a bit simple, the computer password was obvious that it was a date because of the arrangement of the pairs of numbers, at first I thought that maybe it was the date in which Valembius met that woman he fell in love with, I went there and looked at the portrait but it only showed the year ... 1933, not the days or the month. Hmmm Then I thought, what other date could it be? If someone had to choose a password based on a date, which one would it be? The date of birth! Yes, and so it was.

Then the coordinates were missing, the book told me that it was in the direction in which the geese were going. It also told me +5 degrees and as I said in a previous post at the beginning I tried to do the manual calculation, but it was simpler than that.

The computer in the hydrofleet luckily told me that I was missing…the egg.

I knew it was in sublevel 1, but I did not know how to stop the elevator, something was missing, here I went around the place a couple of times, checking where I had been before, I went to where the giant beetle was but nothing, I looked at that device with a kind of miniature fan but nothing, until by chance I found that key or metal thing near the elevator. I knew it was the object to stop the elevator, I looked several times but could not see where to put it and finally after searching a little more I could notice a small hole and that was it, now I could stop the elevator where I should and transport the egg.

It was strange to undertake this journey to fulfill Valembois’ wish but at the same time leave his body lying in that chair.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 521

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Lady Kestrel - 18 July 2022 04:24 PM

After finishing the first section, I looked at a walkthough to see what I could have done differently.  After reading it and also seeing what you have written here, I realize that in the Mac version they have simplified a few of the actions but but fortunately kept most of them from the original.  However, I think the navigation is much easier in my game, and the use of bright green cursors has helped tremendously in finding items against the dark background, such as when operating the crane.

Be that as it may, if I mention something that seems off to you as we continue, just let me know so I can check to see if it’s because of the differences in our versions.

I played the redone Mac version when it was released so I don’t have really fresh memories of it. But I do remember some stuff/scenes later on in the game were completely removed, clues that were in the original game were missing etc. So it will be interesting to see how you feel about the game as we continue. My feeling then was that they had turned the game into more or less a casual one, like Anuman Interactive did with so many other games from this era when releasing “upgraded” versions for the iOS/Mac platforms. But again, the graphics are improved at least.

I considered playing the Mac version in parallel with the original PC version, but it seems the Mac version at GOG doesn’t run under MacOS 11 (Big Sur). Also noticed that it has been discontinued at both Macgamestore and Steam, probably because of not being compatible with the current MacOS. Are you on an earlier MacOS Lady K, or did you find a way to get it to work with Big Sur?

Anyway; off to play chapter 2!

Total Posts: 526

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Tenebra - 18 July 2022 02:21 PM

@Charo Maybe it’s too obvious a question, but you turned on the light in the basement, right?

I don’t remember. There are a few lights on but still very dark. Is there another switch I need to look for?

Edit: The hole to insert the key or that metal thing only appears when we are on the top floor (which is the default floor when we are in the basement), and not if we descend.

Ah. That’s the piece of info I needed.

I think if we were allowed to look around when the lift was descending it would be a better puzzle. Getting to see the bricked-up wall would prompt the player to look for something like that. As it is, it’s a needle in a haystack.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 521

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Charophycean - 19 July 2022 06:16 AM

I think if we were allowed to look around when the lift was descending it would be a better puzzle. Getting to see the bricked-up wall would prompt the player to look for something like that. As it is, it’s a needle in a haystack.

I agree. But to the game’s defense there is a decent clue about there being a mid-level for the elevator to stop at. There’s an indicator in the elevator that you face while in it, and I believe it shows three possible positions of the elevator. Also, if memory serves the elevator kind of hesitates shortly when reaching mid-level before continuing to the bottom level.

Total Posts: 4282

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Veovis,
I upgraded my 10.10 iMac (32-bit with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M) and am now running OS 10.11.6.  The game hasn’t given me any problems so far.

Edit: My version of the game isn’t divided into chapters like that, Zobraks.  In fact, it does resemble a casual game in that the sections flow from one to another with travel inbetween.  Also, it saves automatically.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’m playing the GOG version of Amerzone on a Windows 7 64-bit desktop computer (with dgVoodoo employed).
The game runs smoothly and flawlessly.

I reckon I’m the weakest link in the whole system.

mjp

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

zobraks - 19 July 2022 03:32 PM

I reckon I’m the weakest link in the whole system.

Nah.  You’ve been helping to keep things afloat…er…in the air?...oh, you know what I mean. Smile

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Zobraks - I’m playing the same machine as you, except my desktop is a 64-bit Win10 instead of a Win7.

Had two problems. One, while I mistakenly called it a maze, I managed to get lost under the water. Since I remembered that I would have to go back to the Hydrofloat, or whatever it’s called, several times, I did what I should have don’t from the start. I.e. drawn a map.

Two, I must have searched in and around my personal Hydrofloat for at least 15 minutes searching for a hotspot where I could fill the fuel tank. More F-bombs.

Another very minor problem. If it had not been for a hotspot, I’m not sure I would have deduced what I needed to do to get the windmill to stop sucking water.

Everything else was fairly simple. I’m sure I didn’t play this episode as efficiently as I could.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Speaking of the windmill: I went through the whole ordeal without fully comprehending what I have done. I still don’t now what the pipe leading from the windmill to the end of the dock was for and what I took off from its end (with the spanner).

And I thought the casket in the hut at the far end of the harbour was just a plain log, so I kept traipsing around looking for (presumably) an axe to cut it with.

On the positive side: I went through the underwater maze without much trouble.

Finding a spot on the Hydrafloat to pour the petrol in took some time, too.

mjp

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

zobraks - 19 July 2022 05:30 PM

Speaking of the windmill: I went through the whole ordeal without fully comprehending what I have done. I still don’t now what the pipe leading from the windmill to the end of the dock was for and what I took off from its end (with the spanner).

My only guess is that the windmill pumped water that flowed through the hose. To what end I don’t have a clue since the water is obviously salt water and I didn’t see a de-salinization plant anywhere near the pumping station. Although this is not what I did, it would have been better if I started the pump before I attached the helmet. If I saw water coming out of the hose I might have had an AHA moment and “logically” disconnected the pipe from the water supply.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Had a late start. Finished the first chapter while reading spoilers here so i didnt really had any problem with it. Not sure if i would have solved the puzzles without help.

Now i m at the end of the second chapter. I managed to do the puzzle with the machine just by trial and error. Having hotspots where you can use items help. Also didnt have problems with underwater (not sure if its a maze, just hard to navigate).

I m stuck finding the next destination now. I need to enter a 3 number letter at the hydrafloat. I have found a clue at the diary and tried some numbers without luck. Is there any other clue except the entry at diary? Also i noticed that i can use both plane and helicopter modes. Not sure if its important.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Did you find the old/original Hydrafloat?

Nico2021 - 20 July 2022 02:58 AM

I m stuck finding the next destination now. I need to enter a 3 number letter at the hydrafloat. I have found a clue at the diary and tried some numbers without luck.

What clue is that? I don’t think I noticed it.

Is there any other clue except the entry at diary?

The number you need is out there somewhere, but it’s not so easy to reach it.

Also i noticed that i can use both plane and helicopter modes. Not sure if its important.

It is.

And those aren’t the only modes available.

mjp

Total Posts: 526

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I don’t think I will continue. The game wasn’t a happy experience for me at all (which is the same life is going for me right now). I did everything in Tenebra’s post (before she posted) and still the craft didn’t go. Besides everyone else is far ahead by now and I didn’t feel like I was a part of the CP.

I feel pain in my heart for not being able to cope with the puzzles. I imagine I have pride from completing similar games without walkthroughs, and needing hints while not being able to solve the earliest puzzles is similar to the grief of failing an exam, or being rejected by a close friend.

AKA Charo

You are here: Home β†’ Forum Home β†’ Gaming β†’ Adventure β†’ Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top