• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text Adventure Playthrough #10: Bureaucracy

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>w
You step into the bookstore.

Bookshop

This is a not-very-nice bookstore which sells “packages” and “products” rather than books. Shelves groan with best sellers and bargain remainders. The exit is to the east.

A sales clerk is standing by a computerised cash register. The wall behind him offers a selection of computer software.

The clerk nods a greeting, and looks you up and down.

>x clerk
Beneath the jersey-knit polyester leisurewear, you detect a hint of nerdliness.

>x register
It looks as if the cash register is closed.

>x software
Not much of a selection, really. A couple of last year’s Boysenberry hits; you’ve seen them all before.

The clerk notes your interest with a dopey grin. “Great selection, huh? All the latest hits,” he remarks.

>

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Karlok - 03 September 2021 08:10 AM

Smile
Our half-digested (yuck) Boysenberry must be based on the half-eaten Apple.

Haha, nice!

Nerdliness? That is kind of cute.

>ask clerk about software
>ask clerk about food
>ask clerk for directions (to restaurant, grocery store, green grocer, if the game demands more specificity)

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>ask clerk about food
The clerk shrugs. “What about it?”

>ask clerk for directions
The clerk snorts. “I can’t give you that!”

>ask clerk about software
The clerk glances furtively around the shop, then gives you a sly look. “You look like a fellow hacker,” he half-whispers. “Bet you’d be interested in some, shall we say, special carts I keep on the side. Wanna see ‘em?”

>>

(the double >> means you have to give a yes/no reply)

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>>yes
The clerk pulls a software cartridge out from under the counter.

The clerk holds up the cart for you to see. “You don’t have to touch it. Just take a look at it, you know.”

>look at cart
This cart doesn’t look at all like the authorised Boysenberry carts you’ve bought before. Its plastic case is poorly molded, and lacks the familiar logo of a partially digested purple berry.

From the single word printed on the cheap white label, you deduce that this is a recipe program. That is because the word on the label is “RECIPE”.

“Take a look at this!” he chortles, holding it up for you to see.

>

Total Posts: 7460

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

>buy cart

I also want to see the time again, I’m not entirely convinced it’s not important.

>x watch

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>buy cart
The recipe cartridge isn’t for sale.

“Pre-release copy. Custom chips, probably one of a kind.” He tosses the cart from hand to hand. “I’m not into cooking, though. Eat out all the time. Wouldn’t mind trading this for something.”

>x watch
Your digital wristwatch says it’s Saturday, 9:59 am.

The clerk fawns over the recipe cartridge. “Been looking for a good game,” he remarks, eyeing your adventure game cartridge.

>

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Aha. So let’s show him our useless adventure game cartridge.
Did the game mention a specific time we have to go to Paris? I don’t remember.

EDIT: This afternoon. Hm.

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>give adventure game cartridge to clerk
The clerk takes the adventure game cartridge from you. “I knew you were into that stuff,” he chortles. He tosses you the recipe cartridge. “Here, have fun.”

[Your score just went up.]

>

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Vegetable Party - 03 September 2021 07:51 AM

@eriktorbjorn: is the Boysenberry based on any particular computer of the time?

I don’t know, but it is of course tempting to compare its “partially digested purple berry” logotype to Apple. Everything else about that comparison seems way off, though. (Other similarly named companies included Acorn Computers and Apricot Computers. Maybe it was a riff on that?)

“Cormorant Honcho” and “Daktari S/M” make me think of Commodore Amiga and Atari ST.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

eriktorbjorn - 03 September 2021 09:52 AM
Vegetable Party - 03 September 2021 07:51 AM

@eriktorbjorn: is the Boysenberry based on any particular computer of the time?

I don’t know, but it is of course tempting to compare its “partially digested purple berry” logotype to Apple. Everything else about that comparison seems way off, though. (Other similarly named companies included Acorn Computers and Apricot Computers. Maybe it was a riff on that?)

“Cormorant Honcho” and “Daktari S/M” make me think of Commodore Amiga and Atari ST.

So you read VP’s posts but not mine. Frown

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Score!

I guess we don’t have a map, but we could see if we can get any information from our address book.

If not, let’s walk up and down the street to see what else we can find. Maybe some ingredients to go with our recipe cartridge. We have a hacksaw and llama treats. Who knows what we’ll find.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

>read address book
On opening the address book, you find that in common with many loose-leaf address books, most of the pages are loose and have fallen out. There are only two or three left. Most of these are stuck together with jam, chewing gum or an unpleasant combination of both.

Which page do you want to read, the first page, the middle page, or the last page?

>first
This page is labelled NAME AND ADDRESS OF OWNER.  In your own handwriting you see

Douglas N. Adams
5 Hippo Vista
Rhinoceros, NJ 81818
717-4994

which has been crossed out (aren’t you glad you moved?). Under that you’ve written

Douglas N. Adams
15 Utopia Avenue
Verweggistan, Huh? 000000

There’s also a notice on this page which says, “If lost, please return this address book to the owner at the above address. $25 reward.”

>read address book
On opening the address book, you find that in common with many loose-leaf address books, most of the pages are loose and have fallen out. There are only two or three left. Most of these are stuck together with jam, chewing gum or an unpleasant combination of both.

Which page do you want to read, the first page, the middle page, or the last page?

>middle
This page offers some personal numbers and two of your bank’s addresses.

Doe
313-1991

Jane
314-2871

Fillmore Fiduciary Trust
14 West Wildebeest Street
Rhinoceros, NJ 81818
718-6352

and

Fillmore Fiduciary Trust
12 Utopia Avenue
309-4981

>read address book

>last
Only two entries are legible on this page.

Mr Ollie Fassbaum, Manager
The Happitec Corporation
17 Okapi Plaza
310-7766

and

Getlost Airport Cab
311-4031

>e
“Have a nice day,” calls the clerk as you leave.

14 Utopia Avenue

>n
13 Utopia Avenue

This is the commercial district. You see a rather shabby brownstone tenement (obviously once a grand family house) to the east, and a travel agency (which is trying to look like a bank) to the west. The Fillmore Fiduciary Trust Bank (which is trying to look like a travel agency) lies to the north. The street continues south.

>

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Karlok - 03 September 2021 09:53 AM

So you read VP’s posts but not mine. Frown

I did, actually, but I didn’t want to wander too far off topic so I only replied to the one addressed directly to me.

So we both made the same Boysenberry / Apple and Daktari / Atari associations.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

thanks both:) Is everyone alright with walking around some more? Even if we need to restart at some point, it might help to get a sense of the place.

>S
>S

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top