• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #82: The Dream Machine

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lady Kestrel - 26 April 2024 03:51 PM

Chrissie,
Would you like some extra time?

Thank you for the offer Lady Kestrel, hopefully not necessary as I am planing to devote Sunday to catching up (tradesmen here don’t work on Sunday!) Smile

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Veovis - 26 April 2024 06:16 AM

Did reinstalling help @Sefir? I’ve had trouble with random crashes since especially chapter 4. The screen suddenly goes white with an exclamation point in the middle. Saving often works since the crashes are random, but it’s a bit annoying. I’m guessing some memory problem, since it seems to be triggered by changing locations a lot.

Exactly what happened to me as well. For the time being, I have no crashes after the reinstalling.

Finished Chapter 5. Didnt really like Willard’s dream, and I think the main reason was that the environment simply lacked claymation, the game’s distinct characteristic. The riddles were a bit off too, thank God for Legion, who I still have no idea what it represented, for its hints on what I should do next, otherwise I would have never thought of blinding the eyes.

Selma’s dream was far better, more traditonal, more beautiful and with humor. It was only when I realized that the 2 dreams were connected when I met the other side of the eyes wall that I though “Oh Crap. I know who the organ thief is”.

The Pumpkins got me good. Real good.
Also, praise the witch for the “fast travel” enlarging potion.

I found 2 things that didnt offer anything, but were nice touches.
The one was inside the mousehole in the Vampire’s room, where I met a rat that called itself a Spirit Guide when I talked to it. Very interesting stuff, but nothing else. I wonder how many people caught that.
The other was the girl without her heart near the pond. I found it sad for her to just sit there alone and massacred. Still, it didnt offer anything substantial to our adventure.

Finally, I was able to enter the dream of the Mover. It was a simple 1-room dream, but it was a pleasant addition.

I consider it the best chapter so far, I loved Selma’s dream and the clever twist with the 2 dreams that were interconnected was a welcome one.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Sefir - 26 April 2024 05:03 PM

I found 2 things that didnt offer anything, but were nice touches.
The one was inside the mousehole in the Vampire’s room, where I met a rat that called itself a Spirit Guide when I talked to it. Very interesting stuff, but nothing else. I wonder how many people caught that.

Finally, I was able to enter the dream of the Mover. It was a simple 1-room dream, but it was a pleasant addition.

Well, I guess I missed that mousehole, so while we wait for the last chapter, I loaded a previous savegame and I found and entered into the mousehole. Thank you for discovering it!

About the dream of the mover, wow! I never thought of entering his dream… I managed to get him to sleep, but the game didn’t allowed me to enter his dream, maybe I missed something else…

By the way, who or what do you all think is Legion?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Finally finished chapter 5. Took me several evenings to get through it. Some of the puzzles were quite hard. The last point in which I was about to give up and resort to a walkthrough was getting the acorn out from the squirrel’s storage place. Wandered around the dreamscape forever until I finally picked up some more yarn in the cottage. A bit unfair I think. My overall feeling about the chapter is that it was plenty enjoyable as a whole, but that they went a bit too far with some of the puzzles.

I never managed to get into the mover’s dream. Victor refused to do so. Guess it has to be triggered by making that phone call in Edie’s dream. I did encounter the rat in the vampire’s hiding place though.

According to GOG Galaxy I’ve already spent over 21 hours with the game! Quite a lot of time has been spent being stuck and just walking around and some can be explained by the intermittent crashes, but still. This is not a short game.

I’m ready to move on to the last chapter!

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

walas74 - 28 April 2024 12:30 AM

About the dream of the mover, wow! I never thought of entering his dream… I managed to get him to sleep, but the game didn’t allowed me to enter his dream, maybe I missed something else…

Veovis - 28 April 2024 04:55 AM

I never managed to get into the mover’s dream. Victor refused to do so. Guess it has to be triggered by making that phone call in Edie’s dream.

First of all, I remember that in Chapter 1 the mover gave me a card with their firm number to call for any complains, when I protested a A LOT when talked to them. When I tried to call the firm to complain from my room, I found out that the one who answered was the mover himself (budget cuts, etc. lol). But when I tried to call again from Eddie’s dream (I tried all options there tbh), it was the machine that responded and told me that I should not have tried to reach one dreamer from another and that it now had a tentacle in the mover’s dream too

Regarding the mover’s dream, it was just one room with the mover sitting in a table, with a bottle of beer in front of him. And a tentacle draining him through his ear. He didnt recognize us, he thought we were his father that abandoned him since he was a child. After answering correctly through some dialog trees (seems his father was a real piece of ****), he is convinced we are his father that returned for him and he gladly gives us the bottle. Then we just break the bottle to the table (the mover’s response to that was “Oh no! Not this again!!”. Imagine….) and stab the tentacle to release him.

Btw, am I the only one that starts to feel a bit sorry for the Dream Machine? It has self-consciousness, thus I 100% consider it a living, thinking being. And it is trying to survive, which is not something evil. Sure, they invaded other people’s dreams, but they didnt actively hurt anyone on purpose. Even with Mr. Morton, they did say they considered him a friend and it was basically an accident since they didnt know how fragile human beings are. Are we sure we are on the right side here? Are we ok with basically killing a living being (a unique one, I may add) just to ensure a good night’s sleep for a few people?

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Good point, you made me think… And we could investigate too, maybe solve people sleeping problems.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 28 April 2024 11:53 AM

Btw, am I the only one that starts to feel a bit sorry for the Dream Machine? It has self-consciousness, thus I 100% consider it a living, thinking being. And it is trying to survive, which is not something evil. Sure, they invaded other people’s dreams, but they didnt actively hurt anyone on purpose. Even with Mr. Morton, they did say they considered him a friend and it was basically an accident since they didnt know how fragile human beings are. Are we sure we are on the right side here? Are we ok with basically killing a living being (a unique one, I may add) just to ensure a good night’s sleep for a few people?

This would not be the first game to bring up the sort of philosophical discussion. I remember encountering the juvenile version of Franklin in the playthough of Drawn 3. It continued when I chose the screenshot of that discovery for an AGSOTD post.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I don’t feel sorry for the machine because it manipulated the dreams.  Look how it took over Alicia in her dream and Martin in his and made them do things they didn’t want to do.

I believe that the expression “We are Legion” refers to the denizens of hell.

I’ll be back in an hour or two to post the next step in our playthough.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 28 April 2024 02:17 PM

I don’t feel sorry for the machine because it manipulated the dreams.  Look how it took over Alicia in her dream and Martin in his and made them do things they didn’t want to do.

Still, it was just in their dreams. When they were awake, they were living their lives normally. The machine made their sleep a bit more disturbed by forcing their actions in their dreams (seems it is essential for its survival). So what? They are just dreams. It is not the reality.

To put it into perspective, should I go and kill my neighbour if he plays the sax at midnight so I can have a good night’s sleep?

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I think Morton’s family created a parasite.  Those tentacles didn’t appear benign to me.  They were sucking the essence out of those people.  Mr. Morton was drained by his dreams and died because of them.  Edie was grateful to be free of her dream and died, which made me think that the machine kept her alive years longer than it should have just to live off her dreams.

Leaving the philosophical discussion for now, let’s move on to chapters 6 and (surprise!) 7, which automatically follows 6 and is very short.  All together this last part of the game is about 2/3 the length of the previous chapter, so most should be able to complete it by next Sunday, May 5.

It starts with a quote from William Blake.
“Awake, awake, my little boy.
Thou wast they mother’s only joy.
Why dost thou weep in thy gentle sleep?
Awake, they father does thee keep.”

I look forward to your impressions and comments about this section. 

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Great! I think I will start it tonight.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m still a little behind but I’ve managed to finish Chapter 4.

I enjoyed most of the puzzles in the first part & thought the clue to opening the secret door was especially clever along with the one for the door code although I needed a little nudge to help with that as I never thought to try manipulating the book page

It took me a few attempts to dry out the petals without over-doing it but after putting the sleeping potion in the tea was quite shocked at how suddenly Edie & her guests were knocked out & at how hard they crashed down!

I too found the dialogue with Edie about Morton’s experiments beforehand very amusing.

I thought the pictures puzzle was an interesting idea but began to find it tedious after a while.

I didn’t pick up on some of the details & subtleties to be found in this chapter so have found some of the comments very interesting.

On to Chapter 5…

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

It’s been a tough week to keep pace.  I only recently found my way into Willard’s dream and have obtained the ray gun and figured out what it’s used for.

I have had some interactions with Selma, but it’s odd that if you turn the stereo down and then turn it up again full volume she doesn’t reappear.

I thought perhaps releasing the gas in her living room and then coming up to crank the stereo would catch her in the right place to fall asleep, but I guess the gas disperses too quickly

Hoping my patience perseveres through this chapter, it is feeling like a bit of a slog.

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Keybordz - 29 April 2024 08:36 AM

I have had some interactions with Selma, but it’s odd that if you turn the stereo down and then turn it up again full volume she doesn’t reappear.

I agree. Sure, Selma says it’s ok for Victor and Martin to finish listening to the song already playing, but since the song keeps on playing forever there’s no way to get her to react again by playing loud music. Not very realistic. Also,  in real life there must be dozens of possible ways to get her to react the way she’s supposed to, but only some very specific and rather far-fetched things actually work. Not my favorite puzzle of the game.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I am playing the final section of the game. It is even more surreal, if that’s possible.

I think I will finish it tonight.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top