• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabeGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Making my first adventure game using Ren’Py (House of Chavez)

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2023-10-25

PM

Hi everyone,
I am an indie developer, author of several visual novels and RPGs, and I am now making my first adventure game. I use Ren’Py, I know it’s a bit odd but it’s the tool I know better.

I am going to use first person view during the adventure gameplay, and visual novel “cutscenes” to tell the story.

I made some videos/GIF previews of the current work in progress:

interacting with environment

example of using object and cutscenes

I was wondering if you have any suggestions on what to implement in a psychological horror story, I have already a plot in mind, but about the adventure gameplay, I’m currently thinking of having some “sudden death” scenes (they happen if you don’t do things correctly). A bit like in some old adventure games I played many years ago.

I automatically save the game before such events, so players can click “try again” and they don’t lose too much time in case they die. Is this a good idea or could potentially frustrate players ?

For more info about the game check here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterwolves/house-of-chavez

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Winterwolves - 25 October 2023 02:33 PM

I automatically save the game before such events, so players can click “try again” and they don’t lose too much time in case they die. Is this a good idea or could potentially frustrate players ?

Sounds fine to me, but probably if those “death scenes” aren’t instant and they can happen multiple times it’d be best if after seeing it once the game goes directly back to letting the player try again, if you know what I mean ...

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2023-10-25

PM

Ah yes, good idea! thanks Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top