• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Witness (open-world island inspired by Myst)

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Good for you J Blow. The guy is super super smart in a really good way, and his puzzles are pure brilliance. Glad the reviews are glowing, and I hope the game will sell well.

Total Posts: 1894

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

im not a big fan of myst-likes, but i suppose im going to have to try this with all the hype Tongue

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Gabe - 25 January 2016 11:04 AM

An “exploration puzzle game”

LOL. 20 years of gaming evolution, and instead of “adventure” we need to use a 3-words description.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

Excited about this. Really excited. We’re getting press from beyond the normal Adventure Games circle.

Total Posts: 1085

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

diego - 25 January 2016 04:41 PM
Gabe - 25 January 2016 11:04 AM

An “exploration puzzle game”

LOL. 20 years of gaming evolution, and instead of “adventure” we need to use a 3-words description.

It’s site’s quote:Trailer

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

From reviews it looks daunting and hard.
Gonna take a while to grab and finish it.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I was getting really excited about this. I saw the video. It looks like all the puzzles are the same type. There is no variation.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

colpet - 27 January 2016 02:42 PM

I was getting really excited about this. I saw the video. It looks like all the puzzles are the same type. There is no variation.

If you mean newspapers mazes yes, but there are lots with different meanings and intertwined with game narrative and eureka moments that is driving people crazy.
Its maze puzzle fetish with challenge and intrigue.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Motion sickness inbound?
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1175984

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Had to get this, been at the witness blog glancing now and then during all these years of development. So, I’ve bought it and have begun playing. Absolutely absorbing!

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Because I’m a moron, I let the hype and the enthusiastic reviews get to me and bought this. An hour into the game, I’m already fed up with it. 30 billion variations on the same fucking puzzle is not my idea of fun.

The reason why I love adventure game puzzles so much is that the difficulty lies in figuring out what to do, not in the execution. And The Witness definitely does some of that. It regularly introduces new elements and new rules, and you have to figure out how those work—and, to be honest, the game is pretty good at making you figure that out. But that’s maybe 10 % of the game; the other 90 % is just wiggling your mouse around to solve maze puzzle #26,545.

Honestly, I can’t be bothered. I’m less than 2 hours in, so I guess it’s time to try out Steam’s refund system. I just can’t see myself doing another 20 hours of that stuff.

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Kurufinwe - 28 January 2016 10:14 AM

Because I’m a moron, I let the hype and the enthusiastic reviews get to me and bought this. An hour into the game, I’m already fed up with it. 30 billion variations on the same fucking puzzle is not my idea of fun.

Hehehe… one of the (rare) advantages of Youtube “Lets Play” popularity - I tried to get a glimpse of it on YT because I feared of exactly what are you describing, and decided against getting it (playing The Talos Principle was enough, thank you very much).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

The reason why I love adventure game puzzles so much is that the difficulty lies in figuring out what to do, not in the execution. And The Witness definitely does some of that. It regularly introduces new elements and new rules, and you have to figure out how those work—and, to be honest, the game is pretty good at making you figure that out. But that’s maybe 10 % of the game; the other 90 % is just wiggling your mouse around to solve maze puzzle #26,545.

Honestly, I can’t be bothered. I’m less than 2 hours in, so I guess it’s time to try out Steam’s refund system. I just can’t see myself doing another 20 hours of that stuff.

It’s a 100 hours game they say,so you have to invest atleast 10 hours of gameplay for storywise.

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

diego - 28 January 2016 10:32 AM

Hehehe… one of the (rare) advantages of Youtube “Lets Play” popularity - I tried to get a glimpse of it on YT because I feared of exactly what are you describing, and decided against getting it (playing The Talos Principle was enough, thank you very much).

Nonetheless it’s a challenge.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top