• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Period Adventure Games

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-20

PM

Does anyone else feel there needs to be more ‘period’ adventure games? By this I mean like, an adventure game/series set in say, the ‘40s, ‘50s. A ‘30s or ‘40s Noir adventure game

I can only think of a very few period adventure games—Mainly Laura Bow comes to mind and that was a great series with it’s 1920s vibe.

I also think an adventure game set between like 1990 - 1995 could be really fun—set during the actual reign of adventure gamnes, sort of poking fun at the ‘90s pop culture and adventure games could be cool.

What do you guys think of the idea of a ‘period’ adventure game?

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I mostly enjoy them. I am a big fan of noir but Victorian London is another great setting that has actually been used quite a lot. I would not shy away from something newer either, like 70s or 80s, I think Black Mirror series was something like this. And we do have the franchise games like Indy and Poirot from 20s and 30s.

I personally would have really loved to see Jensen’s Anglophile Adventure, I really hope it comes out eventually. There’s definitely room for more period stuff.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

The Sherlock Holmes games come to mind as decent period adventures.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The upcoming A Golden Wake seems like a good game set in the 20s

Valiant Hearts is more war based but it’s a great way to learn about that period.

One of my favourite things from Gone Home was how it was set in the 90s and had a lot of references to that time.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I can help you there. There are lots of period adventures, especially from 20s-50s:
The Dame Was Loaded
Noir: A Shadowy Thriller
Private Eye
Jack Orlando
The Scoop
Lost Horizon
The Last Express
The Riddle of Master Lu
Berlin 1948
Dark Fall 2
Murder on the Zinderneuf
Prisoner of Ice
The Great Escape
L.A. Noire
Black Dahlia
Cruise for a Corpse
Amazon: Guardians of Eden
Heart of China

And that is ignoring all the Poirot/Agatha Christie games, and Indy.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Like you can see from the previous posts, there are more of these than you realize, but amongst the sci-fi, fantasy, comedy, “modern day” detective and historical games, they might seem underrepresented.

In addition to those already mentioned: Hotel Dusk and Last Window are late ‘70s-early ‘80s games (and are rather noir) and KGB/Conspiracy takes place in Russia during Gorbachev’s Glasnost and Perestroika era.
I’m sure there are countless others still.

I like period pieces, but ultimately being a period piece only serves a purpose for the story. The story itself is the most important aspect, imo.
If the story is intricately related to a certain period, then being a period piece can enhance the story, but in itself, just being a ‘period piece’ is by no means a guarantee for quality. For instance, amongst the games mentioned, Jack Orlando and KGB are really not that good…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top