• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 81: The Wolf Among Us

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, just today I’ve been told I am able to test the Spanish translation I made for Yes, Your Grace. I will make time to play this section probably on Sunday.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am afraid to report that I think I need to drop out of the playthrough. I got as far as the first “action” sequence with the woodsman. I wish I had been aware of the action sequences before I started. I don’t know if anyone is familiar with the term “Dupuytren’s contracture” but it is a hand malady. It affects my right index finger, and makes precision punching of the mouse button problematic. I’m due to have surgery on the tendon in the very near future. (I’m due to hear from the doctor next week re: the surgery date.) Recovery time is around 3 weeks. Which means the playthrough will likely be over by the time I am healed enough to play. Getting old sucks!

I like the looks and feel of the game. I will certainly play it when I can. And, of course, I will follow the playthrough with great interest. Good luck everyone.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your surgery and hopefully you will be playing soon!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

rtrooney - 20 January 2024 04:13 PM

I am afraid to report that I think I need to drop out of the playthrough. I got as far as the first “action” sequence with the woodsman. I wish I had been aware of the action sequences before I started. I don’t know if anyone is familiar with the term “Dupuytren’s contracture” but it is a hand malady. It affects my right index finger, and makes precision punching of the mouse button problematic. I’m due to have surgery on the tendon in the very near future. (I’m due to hear from the doctor next week re: the surgery date.) Recovery time is around 3 weeks. Which means the playthrough will likely be over by the time I am healed enough to play. Getting old sucks!

I like the looks and feel of the game. I will certainly play it when I can. And, of course, I will follow the playthrough with great interest. Good luck everyone.

You might have me blocked I’m not sure but I told you a page back that this game was nothing but dialog choices and qte events AKA QuickTime events where you press buttons and nothing else. The game includes no real traditional puzzles, so if that’s what you were hoping for, that is not what Telltale games are, at least not in the Last 10 Years or so.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney, wishing you well with your surgery. Hope you will be back soon.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’d be interested to know if people are familiar with all the characters from fairy tales and stories we’re meeting in the first episode. I wasn’t and I looked them up after my first playthrough. For instance, I thought Toad, from the intro, was just a general toad so to speak (although the thought crossed my mind that he had missed an appointment with the kissing princess). But it turns out he is from a different story and his background gives him more depth.

Here are the ones I didn’t know: Bufkin - apparently monkeys can fly in the Wizard of Oz but that story is not wellknown in my country. Grimble - I would never have guessed that he’s a troll, probably from under a bridge. Ichabod and Faith were new to me as well. Grendel and Holly.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Got the GOG version, it plays smoothly - benefits of playing game 10 years old is that you can notch it up to maximum 1920x1080 and it runs perfectly.
Loved the intro graphics, incredible comic-book feel to it. There have been a few games that managed to capture that comic book atmosphere, like The Case of the Cautious Condor:

or Rise of the Dragon:

and TWAU is a crown in that regard. I’ve never read Fables comic book, but I read Dampyr, and the protagonist there reminds me Bigby. Turned off “selectables” to give more challenge to myself. Got into a fight with Woody, reached the “Game Over” screen. More from the reason that I was curious what will happen if he beats my a… than that the arcade part is too hard (anyone who has gone through a “hassle” called Fahrenheit aka Indigo Prophecy is prepared for everything). One thing I don’t like is that the inventory strip is shaking as you walk, and I’m not sure if I can select the object and use it on the gameworld, or if I can inspect it closer an get a comment on it (for example, a box of matches) because I managed only to scroll through it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

rtrooney, I regret you cannot join us, but hopefully the surgery gives you more mobility. I wish you a speedy post-surgery recovery!

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

My general impressions remain the same as my post-prologue. Because I have already played through this, I am trying to pick against my impulses for completionists’ and variety’s sake. This typically results in prioritizing the ‘bad’ or more violent choices. The pacing is very movie-esque. It makes me nostalgic for several of their other games, tbh.

Here are my choices:

1. Did you give Faith your money?
No. From a film noir perspective, it seems like it would be the right choice to give her the money. From a real world perspective, however, it seems grossly inappropriate. No real consequence, that I can perceive, from this choice.

2. Did you tell Beast the truth about Beauty?
‘Stayed out of it’. Seems the most logical real world choice, but hard to decide with no background of our dynamics with either of them. This seems to have some conversational consequences in the next episode judging from the ep. 2 trailer.

3. Where did you decide to go first?
Prince Lawrence. This was a pretty odd feeling choice given Toad was actively suffering, but I am glad I did it. Prince Lawrence was alive (despite the massive pool of blood). Toad was worse for wear, but really did not seem to suffer beyond a head contusion.

4. What happened to Prince Lawrence?
Prevented his death. I do not think I was able to do this last playthrough. Kind of hope that he gets some sort of rehab arc, however briefly. He definitely should have been checked-in somewhere given he was clearly suicidal before his (estranged?) wife’s death.

5. Who is your prime suspect?
None of the actual options, so I said nothing to Snow when prompted (silence). We know from the ep. 2 trailer that Ichabod did something nasty.

6. Who did you arrest?
Tweedle Dee. The Woodsman was (according to him) attempted robbery, but was seemingly in no position to decapitate Faith and then stage her head in front of an appartment building. Given he had to work himself up to even commit and fail a robbery, it seemed getting to the bottom of who is the killer is more pressing.

Adding
7. Did you dismember Grendel?
This was a really tough one for me. I had to if I wanted to get completionist. A lot of whimpering from Grendel after. Totally unnecessary *shrugs*. I think that this might be most brutal choice in the whole game? Even on my first playthrough years ago, I felt like Bigby took it too far before all that. 

I really enjoy some of the characters. At the end, it was nice to see some mundane characters. I want to know a bit more of the background of it all. I hadn’t read the graphic novels, perhaps I should get one or two after this and check it out. Though I hate how overpriced they tend to be.

*Editted to add* Oh, and I enjoyed some touches of identity, like all of toad’s racing gear. Appropriate given his story. Of course, the Huff & Puff cigarettes that Bigby is smoking are on brand. Wish there were more touches like that. Are we expecting that Grendel is still healing his arm from his tussle with Beowulf?

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Ok, I’ve finished the first episode. As for my choices:

1. Did you give Faith your money? Yep.
2. Did you tell Beast the truth about Beauty? Nope.
3. Where did you decide to go first? To Toad’s place. Seemed the most urgent.
4. What happened to Prince Lawrence? He was pretty much dead when we arrived.
5. Who is your prime suspect? I have none yet, really. But I chose the pimp.
6. Who did you arrest? The Woodsman, but I regretted it immediately.

I tore the arm off the monster. Don’t know what came over me. I regretted that immediately too.

Enjoying the story and the detective and dialog parts are well done. Not as happy with the QTE parts. Some actions are not optimal to perform with the controller but I prefer it to mouse/keyboard in all other regards. Haven’t been killed yet though, despite obviously failing quite a few of the QTE-actions.

As for the stories I’m only familiar with the ones I gather everybody knows. Little Red Riding Hood, Beauty and the Beast and Snow White. Not sure about to which stories the rest of the gang belong. I should check the gallery I suppose.

And Three Little Pigs I guess? Are we to understand Bigby Wolf is the bad guy from both stories?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 20 January 2024 07:44 PM

You might have me blocked I’m not sure but I told you a page back that this game was nothing but dialog choices and qte events AKA QuickTime events where you press buttons and nothing else.

I saw the message. What I didn’t understand was the speed and dexterity required for the QTEs. Some other people have commented on having trouble. The difference is that they can replay until they get it right. Until I get my index finger fixed, that is not an option. I can do other things moderately well. Play guitar (no finger picking). Typing (using the hunt and peck method). So I’ll be fine. Just can’t play this game right now.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Sorry to see you’re struggling rtrooney and wish you well for the surgery.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I finished the first episode and i like the game as i liked tales of borderlands and walking dead. I find almost no challenge, no puzzles, but the aesthetics and cell shaded graphics are superb. Also i like the maturity of it. The choices you get to make give some replayability and makes you wonder what would happen if you made the other choice.

I think this game is on the borderline to considered adventure, as is a more a story with some interactions. Personally didn’t have any problem with qte, probably because i m playing at ps5 and also i m used to this kind of gameplay.

My choices

1. Did you give Faith your money? Yes
2. Did you tell Beast the truth about Beauty? Stayed out of it
3. Where did you decide to go first? To Toad’s place.
4. What happened to Prince Lawrence? Dead
5. Who is your prime suspect? I chose none
6. Who did you arrest? Dum Dee

Even without much challenge i pretty much enjoying the game as the story is interesting and atm i wanted to play something relaxed that i dont have to think a lot. Btw i found all book of fables except one and considering to replay to see if i can find the last one.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

I have finished section one. I loved game’s aesthetics, music was OK and voice acting superb. I am using keyboard+mouse and I struggled with controlling Bigby at first, but I got used to it easilly. I didn’t find QTE very hard, although sometimes they didn’t respond well, or I at least I felt that.

My choices

1. Did you give Faith your money? Yes, I couldn’t help it, I am a knight in shining armour haha
2. Did you tell Beast the truth about Beauty? Stayed out of it. It seemed the best option there as I didn’t know much about their situation at that point.
3. Where did you decide to go first? To Toad’s place. Both seemed in trouble, but Toad is our “friend” and we didn’t know the other guy…
4. What happened to Prince Lawrence? I found him dead, but I didn’t regret about my previous choice.
5. Who is your prime suspect? I chosed the pimp as having known the others, my spider-sense didn’t trigger and despite Bluebeard had a similar background, why would he do that?  As far as I know, he used to hide his crimes…
6. Who did you arrest? The woodsman, but because I didn’t know what I was doing. I didn’t realize I was making a choice, acted instinctively. I regreted later, of course.
7. I didn’t tear off Grendel’s arm. I thought he had enough…

Overall, it was a good presentation of Fables and their stories, although I felt there was more information needed to understand everything better. I know it is a comic adaptation, but I wanted to know more, about the Exodus for example. Why did it happen?

I found it amazing when Bigby turned into wolf, how powerful he become. I can understand why (almost) everybody fears him.

And about the ending, well, I was totally shocked. I was sure I would find Beauty dead, not Snow. That was cruel with the player, and with Bigby of course. Revenge will be terrible…

I didn’t want to watch Section 2’s trailer. I prefer playing without any heads-up.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

1. Did you give Faith your money? No. She was rude to Bigby from the start. I regretted it later, though.
2. Did you tell Beast the truth about Beauty? I lied to him. Promise is a promise.
3. Where did you decide to go first? To Toad’s place. I thought Lawrence is already dead from the mirror, or drugged, and that it can wait, and it sounded on the phone like Toad was attacked. This was the hardest choice for me.
5. Who is your prime suspect? I chose Woodsman. He’s the only one that I saw beating the lady, and got into a trouble (me) because of it. I chose him although I got a hunch it’s not the whole story.
6. Who did you arrest? Woodsman. The detective (?) brothers seemed to me like they’re paid to investigate things, and not the true villains. That’s why I grabbed Woodsman, I still think he’s not the murderer, but that he will take me to it.
7. I didn’t tear off Grendel’s arm, actually he was more likable to me in the monster form than like a sleazy human. The whole scene reminded me of a movie From Dusk Till Dawn.

Ok, so I finished the episode. It’s strange, I remember a lot of things from it, either I played the first episode back then, or I watched a Youtube video. Anyway, I would give the episode, and the whole game so far a strong 4 out of 5 in the interactive movie department. First of all, it’s a highly polished game - with some amazing voice acting (Bigby reminds me of late Roy Conrad in Full Throttle), and the graphics are everything a comic lover could have wished for. I’m not familiar with this comic book (I was always more of a fan of a classic Zagor, Blek and Tex Willer comic books) but since I love fairy tales, it was interesting to see all these characters in different surroundings (actually, I still have a book by Grimm Brothers/Perrault including Donkeyskin tale).

The story kept me on my toes, so much that I didn’t mind that you can’t skip lines of dialogue, which I always criticize in games. The dialogues are concise, so it didn’t bother. However, there was a missed chance for more inventory manipulation, inventory items close-up checks, and using items in the right place. I’m aware the game mechanics to push the game forward are elsewhere, but I haven’t used an inventory item for the whole episode, I think.
Also, I wished if there was more of a user-friendly “intro” to tuck us newcomers into the game universe. I learned more from Intense Degree’s introductory post than the game itself. Why is Woodsman not dead when there’s an axe halfway in his head? Is he immortal? Who else is immortal? How much of a beating can I take? Am I immortal?

And then, the ending. Right now, I don’t know if you can prevent Snow’s death (my thinking is only if I choose to arrest the fat guy instead of Woodsman), but I felt she’s gone too soon. I don’t know if it’s a trick for the player, and that she’s going to turn up alive later, but I seriously feel like shit. She’s been the sidekick, just like Mulder and Scully, and now you’re killing Scully in the first episode of a first season?! Get outta town!

edit: Yes, I played the game earlier. I stopped after the 1st episode for the very same reason I mentioned here, because Snow is dead

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top