• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

I just completed the entirety of The Dream Machine.  Unlike adventuregamer’s score, I would rate it a 4.5/5.  I found the puzzles to be fair and well thought out, with a ton of variety.  The visuals were beautiful.  The story was creative.  Brilliant game.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Just finished Oneiros last night.  Cute little game.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Just finished The Rewinder, and I really enjoyed it.

Point’n'click steeped in Chinese mythology with a wide variety of puzzles. Main aspect of which is the way Yun, the protagonist, investigating missing from reincarnation cycle souls. He does it by a way of casual (comparatively speaking) deduction that involves pausing and rewinding time, influencing people to change their mind on particular small actions in order to change larger actions in the future - very stylish mechanic and sounds way more complex than what it is. Plus there’s a plethora of side puzzles of everything under the sun - you name it, it’s there. Logic, math, music, mini-games etc. There’s a big chance that one puzzle you don’t like will be in here, but not because the entire game is all about that puzzle, but rather because they went for variety. Which is a spice of life. None of it is challenging, by the way, so really - it’s a beautiful journey through Chinese folklore with an amusing main hero. Somber pixelated (yet astonishingly detailed) look and solid soundtrack of different variations on ancient Chinese pipa music included. As are mandatory lanterns and resentful ghosts, of course.

It’s not something I’ll be screaming left and right that people NEED to play (like There’s No Game last year), but it is definitely enjoyable, well-made point’n'click that I’m glad I experienced and recommend to check out for the fans of the sub-genre that are looking for something new.

I’m now onto Warp Frontier and The Juggler’s Tale

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished I Saw Black Clouds. A so so game. The review on this site is pretty much spot on.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Last 3 games I finished…

Beyond a Steel Sky - loved the game despite its faults. Was not the biggest fan of the first game.

Life is Strange 2 - found it very boring for the most part and the kid is annoying. Very disappointing.

Life is Strange: True Colors - pretty good, enjoyed it. Better than LiS2 but nowhere near as good as the first game. It’s way too short though.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Finished Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet. In the humorous 3rd-person category with inventory/dialogue based puzzles definitely a winner. Nelly has a strong and interesting personality, the voice acting is excellent and the puzzles are not hard, which is usually a plus for me.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Karlok - 15 October 2021 09:01 PM

Finished Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet. In the humorous 3rd-person category with inventory/dialogue based puzzles definitely a winner. Nelly has a strong and interesting personality, the voice acting is excellent and the puzzles are not hard, which is usually a plus for me.

Really enjoyed the puzzles in that game. Not too hard, but clever, just well-designed and player friendly.

Here’s a general recommendation of Milo and the Magpies. It’s about an hour and a half, give or take. Puzzles with environmental clues, contained to one space. It’s a slice of life in a Dutch neighbourhood, with a hint of catnip-induced magical realism.

It looks and sounds beautiful as well.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 16 October 2021 09:42 AM

Here’s a general recommendation of Milo and the Magpies. It’s about an hour and a half, give or take. Puzzles with environmental clues, contained to one space. It’s a slice of life in a Dutch neighbourhood, with a hint of catnip-induced magical realism.

It looks and sounds beautiful as well.

Played. Cool little game. Unpretentious and simple. I’d missed two achievements and I only go for achievements when the game is good. So it took me a bit longer than 90 minutes to find everything.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Finished Happy Game. Had fun with it. No jump scares. A mix of Chuchel turned evil and Botanicula.  I wasn’t crazy about Chuchel, but Botanicula is one of my favorite Amanita games.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

“Happy Game is not a happy game at all”, I love how they put it.

i just took a look at its start and pushed it aside, until I finish Saint Kotar.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2021-09-13

PM

I finished The House on Highfield Lane, a text adventure in IFComp 2021. You play a teen girl who goes into a weird house and finds a puzzly steampunk world. Some of the puzzles were a bit beyond me, but good overall. I reviewed it on my blog: https://importantastrolab.blogspot.com/2021/10/ifcomp-2021-review-house-on-highfield.html

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Finished Chasing Static - wonderful indie horror walking sim. I’m not really big on walking sims, but some just have such an intriguing story and seem so well-done that I can’t help but dive in.

This was a case of a refined, captivating story - a bit creepy, a bit sad and very atmospheric and thought-provoking. No jump scares here, all the effect comes from storytelling and world around the main hero, as he travels chasing static memories of researches that were investigating some strange occurrences. Exploring the rather remote place solo, he gets to trace leftover imprints of conversations that took place and piece the whole thing together. Or not.

There are also PS1 reminiscent visuals and fantastic voice acting.

Very memorable and enjoyable experience, highly recommend for any horror enthusiast.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

I played Repressed.  This site rated it 4/5.  I rate it 4/10.  Tried Paptura.  Beautiful, but I found the puzzles to be poor/frustrating.  I dropped it after 20 minutes.  Played Etherborn.  Rate it a 9/10.  I even enjoyed some of the new game+.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I finished Bad Dream: Fever.

I think I need to process the experience before I can say anything useful. I would recommend all the Bad Dream games for fans of the type of horror that gets under your skin. It’s also difficult to say what makes this game’s theme and narrative stand out without giving too much away.

I’d recommend it. But not to Baron Blubba; he’d hate the coddling element in it’s inventory puzzle design. This game has good puzzles, though.

edit: I need to tell you about Bad Dream: Fever.

For a game that is mostly about struggling with your work, it has some seriously dark themes. That’s both a trigger warning and a commendation: to bare your heart with some level of sincerity, you’ve got to cut through a couple of ribs.

To me, horror is about dislocation. It’s deeply uncomfortable and reminds us of our frailty. In Bad Dream: Fever, this relates to surviving and finding some autonomy in abusive circumstances, trying to form new bonds out of co-dependence, and waking up. Oh, and it’s about struggling with your work.

The world of Bad Dream is generally not well. There’s still a general structure of time and space, but it’s increasingly tentative. There’s a sense of growing through stunted development; neither blossoming nor dying, just energy resisting entropy. Bad Dream: Fever has more connective tissue than it’s predecessors. It also has a fascinating lead character. And it’s not the player.

If anything, I felt this game, more than any other game I’ve played in a while. It’s not that other games didn’t make me laugh, or shed a tear. But there’s something about being broken. Most stories will offer some patchwork solution and a coat of paint. This game offers you a can of thinner and a hammer.

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

The Raven Remastered (Switch) 3.5/5

Was a very good pick for the Christmas holidays. Due to the many Agatha Christie movies that always air during the Christmas holidays I heavily connect Agatha Christie Crime stories with Christmas. The Raven is heavily inspired by these pieces, Visuals and sound are very nice and fitting to the setting, Story is even better than many stories from Agatha Christie, also the Characters are top notch, loved spending time with them, even the villain was so very good, reminded me of Dr. Moriarty. Voice Acting amazing, although I didn’t even play in English, this is not often the case.

The game is very easy, there’s no real challenge for experienced adventure players, it’s more like an interactive Crime drama which btw. is a totally underrepresented niche, just think about it, why aren’t there more interactive cinematic pieces on Netflix (thinking about Bandersnatch)? It’s the perfect genre to introduce choices and self exploration to find clues and come to a conclusion on your own.

I played the Nintendo Switch version which was a bit technically challenged, a few occurences where 3d models became invisible, and the worst thing, changing scenes takes 10+ seconds in average. This is very annoying because you change scenes often and it quickly adds up, I probably spent 20+ minutes in loading screens during my playthrough, not acceptable, especially not for a remaster (hopefully other platform versions are better in this regard). All in all well worth the 10 bucks I payed for it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top