• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s Play: Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2015-02-10

PM

TheLongestJourney - 02 January 2023 05:57 PM

The LucasArts nine verb interface though is nice for nostalgic reasons, but it caused me to get stuck .Interacting with an object with use didn’t let me know that I should have clicked “push” instead. Now that I know though I will remember to try different verbs on objects.

I 100% agree with this, and I know exactly where you got stuck, I had the exact same issue. This is my only criticism with this game. Besides that, everything is impressive. What I loved the most what the music and SFX. Everything felt very polished and made me think of some of the greatest Sierra games like King’s Quest 6. The music evolves depending of the situation. The death scenes were great, IMO, gruesome in a good way.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

diego - 05 January 2023 07:23 AM

Loved the puzzle here! Reminds me a bit of goat puzzle in Broken Sword, where you need to think a little bit outside of the box.

i really liked this one too. In most modern games you would just give the Magpie the pearl and that would be it, but it was nice how they took it one step further.

Did any of you get to the end of Chapter two yet? There’s a timed puzzle that looked like it would be impossible to do. I’m assuming most people will just use the skip button, but I managed to pull it off after multiple attempts.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Finally got through to the wolf territory. I wonder why all wolf dens need to have a large pot of stew?

The puzzle where you need to follow a wolf reminds me of that puzzle in Monkey Island where you need to follow the storekeeper. I wonder if you can solve this puzzle if you don’t follow the wolf right away?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Strange Brew? Someone is a fan of the band Cream.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I hope to catch up this weekend, Diego. Smile

PS: What the… Gasp

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oops! Changed the screenshot. Didn’t realize it’s spoilerish!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Much better now, thank you diego.
Sorry to be such a nuisance, but you know how much I hate spoilers.

Karlok Pan

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m well into the second chapter. The puzzles seem to get better and better, great combination of old school and some original ideas. The game reminds me more and more of Toonstruck, with some slapstick comedy, cartoon sound effects and puzzle ideas.

This is now a “sidekick adventure” and I love those. I’m still not sure about Gwen - one missed opportunity is to use the owl on things in the game world, and you can’t do that - Finn will always tell you that he’s not a manipulative type. Meh  So far the owl helps you automatically, but I love the company anyway.

Anyone know what happened to the key you collected in the wolf’s den? It just disappeared from the inventory after the cutscene. Great voice acting of the Bad Wolf, by the way, very convincing as the bad guy. Currently I’m stuck in the second chapter, I have the drill and I’m guessing I need to use it to drill the rock so Gwen can enter the cave.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I finally, finally made it to Chapter 2. One puzzle gave me a terrible headache. But the worst was finding a certain small object. I’m one hundred percent sure every single player on Classic Mode has problems finding this much needed thingie. Curse you, developers! Nah, just kidding. I love this game. The writing and voices are excellent and Finn comes up with funny responses when you try using objects on characters and other objects.

I’m still behind you, diego, but can’t wait to play again. Highly recommended to players who like humorous adventures.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I gave up and installed the game because this thread had been intriguing me for so long. And I can already tell it exceeded my expectations: it looks and plays wonderfully, everything is very polished, it does have Kyrandian vibes (in addition to LucasArts and Sierra) — the peaceful forest, sea, caves, the sense of magic…

It’s also very responsive: I tried talking to trees, pushing/pulling strangers (“Pulling the tale is a very big taboo” in this world!), showing every item to every creature, and there’s often a unique response or comment. Also lots of pixel animations and tiny details to admire, even the way the deer is moving, well, like an anthropomorphic deer would is a nice touch. Such a nice, relaxing game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Same doom this is my next game after final fantasy

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Stuck in chapter 2 and I need a hint.

How do I get Gwen through the collapsed entrance to the mines? I have a shell, pearl, speaking tube, spade, more small stones, scarf (already used in the mountain), and the key for the lift

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m stuck at the same place as you, and I have item in the inventory which you don’t, and which I believe is crucial in solving this puzzle:

the drill

but I still can’t use it, because it lacks certain kind of power. Let me give you UHS-like hints how to obtain the drill, because it’s a complex puzzle:

1) Good place to look for drill are machines.
2) Did you see some machine which has hands like drills?
3) It’s in the cave with the raccoon.
4) You need to chop its hands in order to get a drill
5) to do that, you need some kind of a saw, or at least something similar to it
6) Did you see some animal that can be used instead of saw, with its sharp teeth?
7) You need to get a piranha-like fish from the swamp
8 ) In order to catch the fish, you need some kind of a trap, more precisely, a jar
9) You can get the jar in the cave with the raccoon
10) To catch the fish, inspect the willow tree, and you’ll see the opening
11) Enter the swamp on the left, and put the jar in the opening
12) Then, enter the swamp on the right, and fish will enter the jar

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

diego - 08 January 2023 10:46 PM

I’m stuck at the same place as you, and I have item in the inventory which you don’t, and which I believe is crucial in solving this puzzle:

the drill

but I still can’t use it, because it lacks certain kind of power. Let me give you UHS-like hints how to obtain the drill, because it’s a complex puzzle:

I don’t remember getting stuck here so you maybe overthinking it. If I remember correctly you’ve already been in the cave yourself in which case what to power it with should already be there.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks for your help, diego. It’s hard to believe that a seasoned adventurer like me would make that mistake, but I forgot to revisit the grotto. Went everywhere else. Shifty Eyed

PS: The game suddenly burst into German when I looked at something.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top