• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

thinking up puzzles

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Here’s a question for developers of all kinds:

how do you come up with puzzles?

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Thanks Advie! This is helpful, it combines a lot of ideas from different places.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

In reading Advie’s post as well as other game-oriented posts, I am struck by how similar puzzle design is to building parts of a business plan.

1. What do I want to do? (increase/decrease/maintain)
2. What do I want to do it to? (Sales/turnover time/marketing costs)
3. How much do I want to do it? (percentage/revenue/time)
4. How long will it take me? (weeks/months years)
5. How much will it cost me? (dollars/personnel/time)
6. How will I know when I’m done? (year-end statements)

Everything before the parentheses sounds a bit salacious, but it was in a seminar context, and the audience had to be kept interested. But I can easily see how game design might rely on these very same questions.

E.g.:

1. Build slider puzzle
2. Transition between scene A and scene B
3. No more than 30 moves between start and successful finish
4. No more than 40 development hours/no more than 20 minutes game time
5. Budget/developer cost projections.
6. Positive beta tests

This makes sense to me, having run a marketing/management consulting firm for over 30 years. (I’m happily retired.) I hope it makes sense to you in the context of your question.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Thanks, it does make sense. Actually being structured and goal oriented is a good approach to most problems. And I do sometimes need a reminder.

In the past months, I came up with 2 puzzles that overlap near the end of the latter.
Not bad, not efficient either.

I’m currently thinking of a third puzzle that can mix things up. I’ve seen the first post and I’ve made a list of what it should do and how I want to manage getting there. I put a whiteboard on the wall next to me.

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Though i am a amateur (read: i don’t have money to invest in a genre that is not so profitable), there are my two cents.
For designing puzzles for a portion of a game: look at goal(s) that your protagonist(s) have in that part of a plot. Come up with problems reaching that goal/these goals and solution(s) for that/those problem(s). Come up with problem(s) that player character(s) has/have carrying out that/these solution(s) (usually that/these problem(s) is/are getting means for carrying out solution(s) whether it is inventory items, needed information or something else) and solution(s) for that/these problem(s). Come up with problem(s) that player character(s)has/have carrying out that/these solution(s) etc. until you think a chain of puzzles is long enough for that portion of the game. Move on to designing puzzles to a next portion of the game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top