• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyDale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #69: The Dig

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Wow. Smile

I agree, the intro is great. Really good way to set up the story. On to the Nexus!

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve tried to play this game before, got no further than floating around in space gave up & now trying again! I’ve played through the intro & am at the point I left a few years ago but hopefully this time to move on.  Smile

Total Posts: 1683

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

My favorite part of the game is the Tram sequences that industrial Light & Magic did. pure magic to me. Once again the score and music is also perfect. Very subtle but effective never overpowering.

I will say my biggest gripe still persist in this current play through though, some of the voice acting and dialogue is flat and sort of stilted at times. Plus even though I love that Boston is alone most of the game, the way the devs break up the group, so quickly, is a little bit jarring.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I am away until the end of the week, so I’ll be catching up then.

Before I left, I installed the game and made sure it ran.
I have the original game on disc and got it running on SCUMMV, but there were so many set up variables for the video. The default was very heavily pixelated, I could not read any words in the intro scene, including the names on the radar screen, or the nameplates of the team.
My best adjustments so far are:
Open GL
Render: default
Stretch 4:3
aspect correction ON
full screen ON
filter graphic ON

Can anyone offer better suggestions?

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I’m not technically well versed; these are total shots in the dark, but I hope they help.

The first thing to try would be the CPU cycles. I think you can add a line: cycles=(number between 500 and 10000*), but it might work best if you start the game and use CTRL + F12 (increase) and CTRL + F11 (decrease) to find which setting provides the best looking/most stable results.

I read a lot of older games render at 70 Hz, while modern computer screens are fixed at 60 Hz. I don’t know if you can turn v sync off or on, but I read adjusting frame skips (frameskip=1) can help.

The last thing I can think of is the game disc. It’s a bit of a hassle and probably your last resort. Copy the entire disc onto a hard drive and set that drive as the cd-rom drive. Example: mount D f:\ -t cdrom. In some cases, the game tries to read the name of the CD-ROM. Add: -label (name of cd-rom, THEDIG for example).

*you can also use the word max for this

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I hope everyone is enjoying the game, do we have any new players or are all yall archeologist uhhh I mean dig experts lol. I hope the rest that nominated the game do join us.

As far as the settings, the graphics have always been a bit grainy on all my pcs no matter which one i used, even going back to 96 when I bought the game and I had windows 95 installed lol. Also the sound can get a bit choppy during the tram sequences. never bothered me though added to the charm of the game.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ve installed the game and finished Kathy Rain but can’t start The Dig tonight at least. Hopefully before deadline.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

millenia - 13 December 2021 03:13 PM

I’ve installed the game and finished Kathy Rain but can’t start The Dig tonight at least. Hopefully before deadline.

No stress

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

TimovieMan - 11 December 2021 05:55 PM
Vegetable Party - 11 December 2021 04:47 PM

Maybe they added the first puzzles because they expected to reach a broader audience. It was quite the production with a lot of professionals from different fields. Not to take anything away from the games that came before The Dig, but this seems of a different scope.

But it was already in development for five years before it was finally released (due to the different project leads it had). That may not sound like much now, but back then that was highly unusual.
And it was released after Full Throttle.

By 1995 standards, the regular gameplay graphics were practically outdated already. It still looked great of course, due in no small part to the mastery of Bill Tiller.

The cutscenes were exquisite, though. They had Industrial Light & Magic help with that. You know, the guys that did the visual effects for the Star Wars films and Jurassic Park… Smile

I bought this game cheap way after it was released. I do have a big box version in mint condition. For 1995 the graphics are pretty basic, very Amiga 500 like.

In 1995 FMV games like Gabriel Knight 2 were all the rage and I had quite a few on my 3DO system.

I believe I played it first in 2001 or so, along with Dark Seed 2 and Gabriel Knight - all bargin bin games I got for 10 dollars each. I loved Indy way back in 1992 or so so I thought these games would be fun too.

The Dig is worth way more than 10 bucks, for sure. Perfect game for playing after Kathy Rain DC, it’s graphics are quite similar.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Jdawg445 - 13 December 2021 03:11 PM

I hope everyone is enjoying the game, do we have any new players or are all yall archeologist uhhh I mean dig experts lol. I hope the rest that nominated the game do join us.

I m playing this for the first time. I have played about 2 hours so far and is looking good. I like how the game has a serious feeling in contrary to other lucasarts adventures.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Nico2021 - 14 December 2021 11:25 AM

I m playing this for the first time. I have played about 2 hours so far and is looking good. I like how the game has a serious feeling in contrary to other lucasarts adventures.

Awesome, how far are you into the game and are you having any trouble?

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Awesome, how far are you into the game and are you having any trouble?

No problem so far. It seems talking with the reporter gives a lot of clues and hints. I am at the point i found an alien ship on the new planet and got some items that i have to understand how to use. I ll play some more lately.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 14 December 2021 03:46 PM

Love the music.

100 percent agreed.

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I reached “nexus”. It looks like i was close from the time i stopped.

Nothing hard so far concerning puzzles but from what i read it gets really hard later in the game. Enjoyed this part but waiting to see more to get a feeling for the game. I do like the acting of the characters and the dialogues that seem to be well written.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top