• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Something is wrong

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I cleared the cookies for adventuregamers.com and now I can see the contents without being logged in (hip-hip-hooray?), but the translucent boxes still keep popping.

Those boxes had started showing a week or so ago, everything was fine before.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CaliMonk - 29 August 2021 07:57 AM

It’s so bizare you get a 502, that really should hardly ever happen but clearly it’s consistent for you. When I test from several locations logged in or out I cannot reproduce things, which makes me think it -is- somehow related to some cookies you have and the forum software acting on those weirdly.

In my case all the problems (except autologin not working) appeared weeks ago, on my desktop computer and my mobile phone *at the same time*. BTW, if I login on one shouldn’t I be automatically logged in on both?

I’ll repeat again that I’m a technical nitwit, so I don’t understand these things, but isn’t it weird that I get an older version of the forums the first time I go there?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

If you login in your mobile phone, you don’t have to automatically be logged in on your desktop (or vice versa) that’s generally not how it works unfortunately.

The older version of the forums while not being logged in, is essentially due to caching (although it shouldn’t really be that old honestly?), if you’re logged in especially on the forums we do not cache anything to ensure you have the latest.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

No translucent boxes (for me) as of today: everything works fine now!
Thanks to whoever made it possible.

I was celebrating too soon: the translucent boxes are back.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Here’s a summary of the problems I still have:
1. The site doesn’t log me in automatically. This has been a problem for years.
2. I now get that cookie-notice once every time I visit AG.
3. I still get an old version of the forums every time. Been a problem for weeks now but never before in 20 years.
4. Two PMs didn’t get sent, they simply disappeared. New problem.
5. Sometimes I have to click on buses, airplanes, cars, blablah just to be able to post.
6. When I click on a link to another site I get the AG-warning that I’m leaving, even though I checked the relevant box in my settings.

I’m guessing that all of these problems are related: AG refuses to acknowledge my existence. Is there anything that can be done to fix my problems?

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

zobraks - 30 August 2021 02:30 AM

No translucent boxes (for me) as of today: everything works fine now!
Thanks to whoever made it possible.

I was celebrating too soon: the translucent boxes are back.

It really should be gone now..

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Karlok - 03 September 2021 11:41 AM

Here’s a summary of the problems I still have:
1. The site doesn’t log me in automatically. This has been a problem for years.

Annoying, I know. Happens to me as well (everyone really) been trying to determine how to resolve it for years, haven’t been able to.

2. I now get that cookie-notice once every time I visit AG.

Super annoying. Sadly the only thing I’ve seen ‘fix’ this is clearing all your cookies for Adventure Gamers.

3. I still get an old version of the forums every time. Been a problem for weeks now but never before in 20 years.

Odd. Nothing new changed here really and every single caching system we have excludes the forums, -especially- if you’re logged in this can really never happen in theory?

4. Two PMs didn’t get sent, they simply disappeared. New problem.

PM’s are a new problem, I have debugged it several times and solved a few things but haven’t gotten to the root of why this happens yet.

5. Sometimes I have to click on buses, airplanes, cars, blablah just to be able to post.

That’s our upstream provider determining that (Cloudflare), one thing you can do is install the Privacy Pass chrome extension.

See https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001992652-Using-Privacy-Pass-with-Cloudflare for more information.

6. When I click on a link to another site I get the AG-warning that I’m leaving, even though I checked the relevant box in my settings.

That’s certainly a bug, I wasn’t aware of that one yet. Will look at it.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Super annoying. Sadly the only thing I’ve seen ‘fix’ this is clearing all your cookies for Adventure Gamers.

I did. So now I only get it once every visit. I can live with that. Smile

Odd. Nothing new changed here really and every single caching system we have excludes the forums, -especially- if you’re logged in this can really never happen in theory?

Not when I’m logged in, but since the site does not log me in automatically it always happens the first time I go to the forum overview. Unless I go to the main page first, which I hardly ever do.

Thanks for your help. I didn’t realize everybody experienced some or most of these problems.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’ve made some big changes under the hood with relation to remembering the person that logged in. As far as I can tell the ‘remember me’ option hasn’t been working for a while and that could the reason you keep getting logged out.

This is an assumption however as the system is quite a spaghetti monster, I can now confirm that I get a “remember” cookie properly set which was previously not working. Let’s see in the next few days!

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

This should now be resolved.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

CaliMonk - 04 September 2021 03:45 PM

I’ve made some big changes under the hood with relation to remembering the person that logged in. As far as I can tell the ‘remember me’ option hasn’t been working for a while and that could the reason you keep getting logged out.

This is an assumption however as the system is quite a spaghetti monster, I can now confirm that I get a “remember” cookie properly set which was previously not working. Let’s see in the next few days!

Today I was logged out again, although I can see the ‘remember’ cookie also disappeared even though it should remain for about 2 weeks. Sadly not resolved yet, but this at least points me even further in a direction of where I think things are going wrong.

To be continued.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Thank you for your efforts, CaliMonk.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

So far, I’ve been consistently logged in for a few days now, curious to hear if others have been experiencing anything similar?

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve definitely remained logged-in for the last couple of days CaliMonk Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I switch between using desktop and my mobile, and it’s definitely been better; at most one login on each device per day.

Much better than previously where it was almost every visit that I’d have to log in again.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top