• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A General Observation

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lamb - 09 February 2024 06:05 AM

I’m surprised you hadn’t yet tbqh. It’s an indie sleeper hit that has been covered in quite a few mainstream gaming sites; even Yahtzee made 2 or 3 videos on it in his new Ramblomatic show.

It wasn’t mentioned on this or some other sites I visited, and I hasn’t been following Yahtzee for quite some time. Had no idea about the whole Escapist drama which resonates with what happened to Adventuregamers. I wonder how many subscribers they lost after the team left. Makes the game even more relatable I guess, as Yahtzee mentioned in his review. I actually decided to try it out, and it is pretty competent, albeit on a casual side in both puzzle solving and platforming. But I can see the appeal.

Jdawg445 - 09 February 2024 07:21 PM

I didn’t read what lamb responded with bc I’m sure it was utter nonsense, but anyways I think Im out like a lot of my other companions. doom and gatekeeper and a few others its been real.

Wait, Jdawg, are you leaving? It would be a real pity to lose you. I know those forum battles were getting on your nerves, as well as ags in general. Hope you will return after some rest, like a number of people as of lately, always enjoyed your contribution!

diego - 10 February 2024 11:02 PM

First and foremost, more “soul” and personal touches in articles, less AI generated text.

So I’m not the only one who thought of that that, huh. All those half-page articles with 4.5/5 star scores signed by “Erik Parki”, or the Aggies awards felt like there were not written by human beings, people just don’t express their thoughts and feelings like that.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

Wait wait WAIT! Did everyone suddenly came to an agreement that the issue @rtrooney brought up of acrimony and insularity in the Forums is a consequence of “soulless” articles (whatever this means)? How did we get here Confused

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lamb - 11 February 2024 12:51 PM

Wait wait WAIT! Did everyone suddenly came to an agreement that the issue @rtrooney brought up of acrimony and insularity in the Forums is a consequence of “soulless” articles (whatever this means)? How did we get here Confused

No, it was mentioned in the context that the website provided a lot of more (up to date) content written that attracted visitors to continue interaction at the forum. I mentioned only two “series” that got lost in the process - Puzzling (Mis)adventures, and Following Freeware that ran for 10+ years. Everyone of us started by reading reviews, previews, articles… on the website before registering on the forums, they are one entity. Some people left the website in the previous years, and it needs to rebuild itself. It’s one thing when you have website with forum as an added feature, compared to a standalone forum that is popular anyway with a huge fanbase.

Before anyone says that “forum” is dead, take a look at menstennisforums. So, it’s not forum that is the problem.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

diego - 11 February 2024 01:21 PM

that ran for 10+ years. Everyone of us started by reading reviews, previews, articles… on the website before registering on the forums, they are one entity. Some people left the website in the previous years, and it needs to rebuild itself.

But can we get a confirmation that there’s been a significant drop in traffic in the website (is there one?) due to what you’re suggesting, and that it isn’t a result of the general anachronism that are Forums, seasonal drops, the lack of big news, the acrimony\insularity and so on?

EDIT: And I can see the recent return of MI and its controversies livened up the place real good.

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

I believe the only way these forums would relish is to create the joyful, intelligent, and passionate place these forums were known for; if members put respect and encouragement towards their fellow members and appreciate the effort some did to bring in ideas and issues about the genre as if they were on duty to do so, which always required passion and a lot a lot of love, even if any thread did not suit someone opinion or ideas, keeping in mind there isn’t always a new MI adventure on the horizon, and along that members must feel they are in good administrating hands that objectively and initially approach any conflict to resolve them, rather than pulling the whip and being about only shutting these arguments down, as a grandfather would approach the kid’s issues wanting nothing more than them to stay quiet.

A1

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2023-11-15

PM

@luckyloser: Which forums? From my experience gaming forums were always undiluted venom. Or are you talking about this one? Are you a long-time lurker or a second account, or basing that on what a few Sr. Adventurers might’ve analysed from rose-tinted glasses? Every forum I’ve frequented like the GAF which is still bustling since 1996 have one thing in common: people are mocked by everyone if the controversial blanket statements they so arrogantly made didn’t come with a source- a valid source. Or if they throw a tantrum over something they said they didn’t read. Not in a million years would anyone beg them to come back. When the disgusting 4chan has a better BS filter from the community than your forum then the problem is discernibly the old allegiances.

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

But I had a different experience here Agent Parser, yeah, this is a 2nd account, and I am talking subjectively about times when this forum had me reconsider how intelligent and nice ppl can be, far different from most other ‘venomous’ places all over the net

A1

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

luckyloser - 11 February 2024 05:55 PM

I believe the only way these forums would relish is to create the joyful, intelligent, and passionate place these forums were known for; if members put respect and encouragement towards their fellow members and appreciate the effort some did to bring in ideas and issues about the genre as if they were on duty to do so, which always required passion and a lot a lot of love, even if any thread did not suit someone opinion or ideas, keeping in mind there isn’t always a new MI adventure on the horizon, and along that members must feel they are in good administrating hands that objectively and initially approach any conflict to resolve them, rather than pulling the whip and being about only shutting these arguments down, as a grandfather would approach the kid’s issues wanting nothing more than them to stay quiet.

This could be the longest sentence I’ve ever read. Nice job!  Thumbs Up

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-02-05

PM

One thing I believe can get better is the “recently released” page and the “upcoming releases”. There are a lot of january games still in the “upcoming releases”.

There are also released games that are in the front page right know that don’t show up in neither the released or the upcoming releases page.

And what is even weirder: if I go to these pages using a smartphone there will be games on these pages which don’t show up when I try in a PC and vice-versa.

Very confusing overall.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

diego - 11 February 2024 01:21 PM

No, it was mentioned in the context that the website provided a lot of more (up to date) content written that attracted visitors to continue interaction at the forum. I mentioned only two “series” that got lost in the process - Puzzling (Mis)adventures, and Following Freeware that ran for 10+ years. Everyone of us started by reading reviews, previews, articles… on the website before registering on the forums, they are one entity.

Every word you spoke is 100% truth!

I used to visit the website for years before even thinking about creating an account for the forums. Now it’s 180 degrees opposite of that. I check if there are some new comments on the forums, but rarely read any actual articles, because there aren’t any like there used to be.

Actually, some very small changes can attract people to read content on the site.
One of them is random game button, which picks a random game entry from the database. I guess there are many, myself included, who sometimes spend a short while hitting random game button that Mobygames and other sites have.

Those kind of features can even be used to create some discussion on the forums. An example, a thread where everyone hits the random game button ten times, and then people discuss about how many of those ten they have actually played, or planning to play.
Sure, it’s not the most meaningful discussion, but it’s something that the site infrastructure would enable, simply by having one small button somewhere.

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

Charophycean - 11 February 2024 10:32 PM
luckyloser - 11 February 2024 05:55 PM

This could be the longest sentence I’ve ever read. Nice job!  Thumbs Up

Thanks, Charo Thumbs Up

A1

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2023-11-15

PM

@luckyloser: Okay, the added context of it being a second account helps paint a clearer picture.

Joined 2023-10-19

PM

patped - 11 February 2024 11:20 PM

If I go to these pages using a smartphone there will be games on these pages which don’t show up when I try in a PC and vice-versa.

As I’ve said before, and I think it’s a much more feasible reason for the slow forums than reminiscing about the good old days and “soul”, is that nagivating this website on a phone is unnecessarily cumbersome hence making it unfit for the majority of the global internet traffic; for the newcomers.

As an aside, seeing as there was no explanation for what Chit Chat’s Alnilam was supposed to be about, and that replies are disabled, shouldn’t it get moved\deleted as to not remain the featured topic?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

For reference purposes, my original comment was based on activity on the Adventure Forum page only. That’s not to say that other forums don’t need work as well. And, for than matter the Front Page, which is supposed the welcome mat to all who enter, is desperately in need of work. But one small step at a time.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

GateKeeper - 12 February 2024 03:46 AM

I used to visit the website for years before even thinking about creating an account for the forums. Now it’s 180 degrees opposite of that. I check if there are some new comments on the forums, but rarely read any actual articles, because there aren’t any like there used to be.

Exactly. I’ve made bookmarks in Chrome that goes straight to the Forum. And that’s where I go first, then I check front page from time to time.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top