• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tintin cigars of the pharaohs

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I just run across a trailer for the game and I didn’t realize it was about to come out. The digital version comes out in like 12 days. I really hope this is a fun hybrid Adventure game with enough puzzles. The trailer shows real puzzles so I hope there is a lot of them. Plus the two games I played by pendulo Studio I enjoyed which was yesterday Origins and the third runaway. To be honest I didn’t like the first runaway that much but the third I thought was pretty good. Anyway here’s the trailer.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I liked all Runaways. I also really liked The Next Big Thing and generally enjoyed Yesterday and the sequel. With that being said, with Blacksad (that I also liked although not as strongly) and Vertigo, Pendulo Studious seem to be going the direction that might not be for me, so I’ll be watching the reviews and reaction on release. This could go wrong in so many ways. Many games based on famous franchises seem have this unfortunate tendency.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I never dug Tintin, and it seems like they tried to put everything in that game (puzzles, fights — most likely QTE, various arcade sequences). But I’m glad to see Pendulo still in business. Haven’t played anything by them after Runaway 3 (which is also my favourite game from Pendulo), just don’t feel like it. And I have very fond memories of their first little title Igor: Objective Ukahonia which I think I played even before anything by LucasArts.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Could be awful, but looks interesting to me. Reminds me of the Spielberg version, which i enjoyed

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I’m a big Tintin fan so I’m really looking forward to this. I remember dreaming about a faithful game adaptation that was more like an adventure game instead of the platformers that existed, which were ok but not really faithful to what Tintin represents, and this looks like its gets close to that dream. I don’t expect it to be super amazing of course, but as long as it’s fun and focuses more on puzzles and investigation and remains true to the story I’ll be happy. Btw, it’s kind of weird they chose this story from the comics, since beloved characters like Captain Haddock or the professor were not part of the series yet and the story continues in another comic, so maybe they’re planning a series if it does well enough? or would they merge both comics into the game, sort of like they did with the movie? I’m definitely curious about it Smile

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

danigar - 28 October 2023 05:02 PM

I remember dreaming about a faithful game adaptation that was more like an adventure game instead of the platformers that existed, which were ok but not really faithful to what Tintin represents, and this looks like its gets close to that dream.

Wow, you had dreamt about an adventure that is really happening now, Just wow.. lucky you!

Once I had a certain game in a dream, just playing it then; it was already available/released; I tried it and it wasn’t any good, lol, it was a visual novel, I hate those, anyways.. that was the only time adventures came into my sleep.

A1

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’m a big Tintin fan so I’m really looking forward to this. I remember dreaming about a faithful game adaptation that was more like an adventure game instead of the platformers that existed, which were ok but not really faithful to what Tintin represents, and this looks like its gets close to that dream. I don’t expect it to be super amazing of course, but as long as it’s fun and focuses more on puzzles and investigation and remains true to the story I’ll be happy. Btw, it’s kind of weird they chose this story from the comics, since beloved characters like Captain Haddock or the professor were not part of the series yet and the story continues in another comic, so maybe they’re planning a series if it does well enough? or would they merge both comics into the game, sort of like they did with the movie? I’m definitely curious about it Smile

I’d like a puzzle-adventure Tintin game too, but I think it’s only part of what Tintin represents. None of us can know what Hergé thought Tintin represents but the comics always had a lot of action, not just puzzles. The new game looks faithful enough to me based on that.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

luckyloser - 28 October 2023 05:17 PM

Wow, you had dreamt about an adventure that is really happening now, Just wow.. lucky you!

Once I had a certain game in a dream, just playing it then; it was already available/released; I tried it and it wasn’t any good, lol, it was a visual novel, I hate those, anyways.. that was the only time adventures came into my sleep.

Well I meant that I hoped or wished for a game, not that I actually dreamed about one my bad Tongue But yeah I know what you mean about dreaming with a game and then trying out, it happened to me to recently with Starfield but I haven’t played it yet lol

I’d like a puzzle-adventure Tintin game too, but I think it’s only part of what Tintin represents. None of us can know what Hergé thought Tintin represents but the comics always had a lot of action, not just puzzles. The new game looks faithful enough to me based on that.

Yeah that’s what I meant, I know there’s a lot of action in Tintin’s stories, so I always thought an action-adventure that combines both puzzles and action would suit it better. Afaik there was only a couple of platformers and then a movie adaptation that wasn’t very good, so I always wished for something that would capture the essence of the original comics better.

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

danigar - 29 October 2023 01:19 AM

Well I meant that I hoped or wished for a game, not that I actually dreamed about one my bad Tongue

Not at all!, I am the one who went off the rails with my imagination Laughing

A1

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I have been looking forward to this, but didn’t realise it would have action until I saw the trailer. Hopefully I will be able to play it, I managed the Telltale QTE’s mostly.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I actually like the movie adaptation, was not perfect but I think a good first step in the introduction and I hope it does eventually get a sequel

I saw a couple more gameplay trailers and one was very qte heavy so that’s not a good sign to me but in the other trailer, you were flying a plane which actually looked kind of fun.

I also saw ign preview it and they said they actually enjoyed the gameplay and that it does have real puzzles, not overly challenging but more than just Choose Your Own Adventure like a Telltale Game.

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

The Cigars of the Pharaohs was the comic where arguably things began to really take shape, with pretty much all Tintin albums that Hergé completed following it are all masterpieces. As a massive fan of Tintin that have enjoyed most games Pendulo has released so far I do hope this game will be good, does well and will be the beginning of a new series.

I hope they don’t include characters that haven’t yet appeared in the comic series when this story takes place . At least we should get the Thompson Twins (I think they’re called in english?). Squeezing in other, later, characters in this story would be a mistake I think.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

It would be brilliant if this game does well and is the start of a series or even a larger trend. There are many more published literary works (not just Tintin or comics) that I think would be wonderful in adventure game format, we just need one or two exemplars to show how it’s done.

Veovis - 30 October 2023 10:43 AM

At least we should get the Thompson Twins (I think they’re called in english?).

Thomson and Thompson. Are they twins in the original? They have different surnames in the English so I never thought of them as twins.

AKA Charo

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I don’t think they’re twins in the original. Different surnames in other language versions too, so not even family I guess. Based on a couple of friends of Hergés father IIRC.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 30 October 2023 11:01 PM

It would be brilliant if this game does well and is the start of a series or even a larger trend. There are many more published literary works (not just Tintin or comics) that I think would be wonderful in adventure game format, we just need one or two exemplars to show how it’s done.

There’s plenty of good source material available, if someone wants to make adventure games based on third party material, like Telltale used to do.

Most comics, films and TV series could be made into adventure games.
Especially the most obvious classic ones, like: Columbo, MacGyver, and shows like Murder, She Wrote.

LucasArts really missed the big one by not even attempting to make a Star Wars adventure game.

And there’s a lot of good comics material too.
Lucky Luke, Asterix, etc. and I think Boner’s Ark would be great material for adventure games.

Of course many comics have been made into adventure games, which time has forgotten, like Garfield and Peanuts for example.

Charophycean - 30 October 2023 11:01 PM
Veovis - 30 October 2023 10:43 AM

At least we should get the Thompson Twins (I think they’re called in english?).

Thomson and Thompson. Are they twins in the original? They have different surnames in the English so I never thought of them as twins.

According to Wikipedia:

“Thomson and Thompson (French: Dupont et Dupond) are fictional characters in The Adventures of Tintin, the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Hergé. They are two incompetent detectives who provide much of the comic relief throughout the series. While their different (albeit similar) surnames would suggest they are unrelated, they look like identical twins whose only discernible difference is the shape of their moustaches; Hergé twice calls them “brothers” in the original French-language text.”

It can be ambiguous on purpose, kind of like whether Hobbes is alive or not in Calvin And Hobbes (good material for games there too, I think there even is an AGS fan game of that).

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I checked Michael Farr´s (brilliant) Tintin: The Complete Guide and according to it Hergé likely based the detectives on two real life detectives he had a picture of in his vast collection of newspaper clippings. They could also possibly have been inspired by his own father and an uncle.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top