• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #80: The Night of the Rabbit

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Welcome everyone to The Night of the Rabbit AG Community playthrough!!!

The Night of the Rabbit is one of the most charming games ever, trully a classic Daedelic, with excellent reviews. It was a candidate for a community playthrough here for quite some time a few years ago and it is finally its time to shine!! Smile

It was created in 2013 (wow!! Is it trully 10 years since then???) by Daedelic entertainment. It is a point n click 3rd person adventure game with both traditional and unique elements.

The story: We follow the adventures of Jerry (that’s you, the protagonist) within various worlds/universes on his way to become a great magician. He will meet various friends and make many enemies, and most important of all, he will meet Marquis de Hoto, a magician rabbit that will help him all the way and accept him as his apprentice. Jerry will travel many worlds, both gorgeous and horrific!! Will he succeed in learning true magic and defeat the evil that lurks?

The graphics: One of the most, if not THE most, gorgeous game Daedelic has ever made. The company was well-known for its amazing 2D aesthetics and this game is no exception. The backgrounds are full of life and colors, the character models are very detailed and likeable, form the protagonists to the animorphic NPCs.

The sound: The game is accompanied by a great soundtrack that I often find listening to. Sometimes with great orchestral plays, sometimes with specific instruments, it is an area the game excells. The voice acting is also very good. The protagonist’s voice is likeable and easy on the ear and this also goes for most of the cast.

The gameplay: Night of the Rabbit is a traditional point n click adventure. Contrary to other Daedelic games, it does not use some kind of “coin” mechanic, but the cursor automatically selects the action needed when you move it in an area of interest. There are many riddles, both classic inventory ones (combining inventory items is also present), but also various ones related to the environment around you. There are also various spells that you will learn along the way that will help you!! Oh, and there is also a (imho) kinda cool card game that you will play from time to time (one that you will collect the cards yourself). The game has a very cute introductory chapter when you learn the basics, I reccommend you to do it. Finally, a piece of advice. Double clicking on an area’s exit, makes Jerry move to the other screen immediately, this is very useful for saving time.

The puzzles: I would rate the Night of the Rabbit as a middle-of-the-road in terms of riddles difficulty. Nothing extremely difficult or illogical (ofc we are in this together and we will help whoever gets stuck). Perhaps some few cases of pixel hunting will appear. In general though, the puzzles are well integrated within the storyline and do not take anything away from the atmosphere. Quite the contrary, they help with the immersion even more.

The Night of the Rabbit is available both on GOG and Steam. In fact, it was FREE in GOG until just a few days ago. I hope whoever voted for the playthrough has taken advantage of that great deal. Smile

We will officially start the playthrough in 03/10, giving time to everyone obtain the game and solve any possible technical issues.

Finally, as always, the usual and necessary request to everyone to stay on topic, use spoiler tags whenever needed and generally join in a good-heart spirit.

Whoever has the game installed and ready to go, please confirm it below. Also, please inform if this is your first time of the game or not. Whoever wants to, can start the game and play UNTIL YOU REACH MOUSEWOOD. Stop there until our official start.

EDIT: I am overjoyed to come back to this great community, leading a playthrough of such an amazing game!

EDIT 2: Pin the thread please.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I have the game installed and running fine. It will be my first time playing The Night of the Rabbit.

I can’t wait to play it!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Sefir - 29 September 2023 04:03 PM

I would rate the Night of the Rabbit as a middle-of-the-road in terms of riddles difficulty.

As far as I remember, there were a couple of wicked ones for me.
Maybe not quite discworldesque, but very close to the standards of that infamous game.

Then again, it was ten years ago - maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

zobraks - 29 September 2023 05:10 PM

As far as I remember, there were a couple of wicked ones for me.

No worries. We are all in this together.

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

That reminds me of a wonderful movie:

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I had a bit of a hassle getting my computer to verify the game because it didn’t recognize the developer.  Since my Mac is too old to use GOG Galaxy, I used their alternate download method, which I’ve done previously without any problems.  I did some digging and ended up having to bypass a security setting in order to run the game. 

I played the tutorial and intro.  This is my first time playing the game, and I’m already impressed with the music, voices, and graphics.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oh nice. I dont know that ill have time to join (still trekking through bg3) but i really liked this game. So much so that the marquis de hoto theme has been my ringtone for years. The atmosphere and feeling are just pure bullseyes for me.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I have been stuck after getting the starmap thing for years. I started the game again and now stuck again in about the same place. Hopefully by watching this play through I can finally finish this game.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I got this game years ago as part of a bundle, i might play with yall if thats ok. It will probably take me longer to play, cuz the wife and I still need to finish vampyre story, but we’ve had very little time to play anything. In fact the last time I played a game at all whether it be on the computer or my PS4 was about a month ago.

In fact this is the most unfinished games i have had in a long time. On the adventure game side. vampyre story, gray matter, lamplight city, deponia 2, still life, secret file: tunguska, and nine noir lives. I plan to beat vampyre story, deponia 2 (eventually) and maybe gray matter. The rest i have lost complete interest in.

On the ps4 side of things i have not finished…. trails of cold steel 4, persona 5 strikers, and last judgement. I plan to beat all these but who knows when lol. It took me about 3 yrs to finish the witcher 3.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Installed and tested, runs fine. I like the atmosphere even from the first screen/menu with the enchanting music. It reminds me of a non-related action/puzzle game Trine, with the all-round feel to the game. The graphics are pretty nice, pencil-like style similar to “What Makes You Tick?” and “Stitch in Time”. (The Whispered World still holds my no1 place among not only Deadelic, but adventure games in general)

I remembered the game was first announced as The Rabbit’s Apprentice, later changed to The Night of The Rabbit.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Well I did download the game and played it and at first I wasn’t sold but then it Charmed the crap out of me. Let me put it this way I am way ahead in the game,  I won’t say too much because I don’t want to ruin anybody’s playthrough. But the puzzles overall are pretty balanced. My only issue is the amount of backtracking back and forth across multiple screens. Also I had to turn the music way down even though it is lovely, because I couldn’t hear the speech audio

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It’s a minor issue, but I would really like right-click for hotspots in the gameworld for additional info or a joke here and there, because that way it would be the same as “smart cursor + right click” system used in Toonstruck. Then again, I’m no a game designer. Oh yes, I would also like a right-click to bring up Inventory, instead of hitting “I”.

I won’t advance too much ahead of the tempo, but I couldn’t help and delved into the forest, and the sight of a modern city really surprised me, because all screenshots I’ve seen in the reviews and on the forum suggested it’s a fantasy tale, “medieval” type of setting. Can’t wait to see more.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

diego - 01 October 2023 06:34 PM

It’s a minor issue, but I would really like right-click for hotspots in the gameworld for additional info or a joke here and there, because that way it would be the same as “smart cursor + right click” system used in Toonstruck. Then again, I’m no a game designer. Oh yes, I would also like a right-click to bring up Inventory, instead of hitting “I”.

I won’t advance too much ahead of the tempo, but I couldn’t help and delved into the forest, and the sight of a modern city really surprised me, because all screenshots I’ve seen in the reviews and on the forum suggested it’s a fantasy tale, “medieval” type of setting. Can’t wait to see more.

yeah I think the opening actually does the game a little bit of a dis-service. It’s not the worst Opening ever, by any means but, there’s not a huge hook at the beginning and you’re just kind of wondering around a forrest. chapter 1 takes a long time to get going too because there’s a lot of fetchquest to do and that’s all I’ll say, but I found the character and setting so Charming that I didn’t care.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

BTW, here’s a little bit of trivia to scare the s…. amuse you:

It’s #80 AG Playthrough. 80=8+0. The Night of the Rabbit is the 8th English full-fledged adventure game released by Daedalic:

1. Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
2. The Whispered World
3. A New Beginning
4. Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
5. Deponia
6. The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
7. Chaos on Deponia
8. The Night of the Rabbit

And before I typed in the Google, “What Chinese year is now?”, I knew the answer:
This year is the year of Rabbit, predicted to be the year of hope – starting from January 22, 2023 and ending on February 9, 2024

Until we meet again.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Oh that’s nice, rabbits always gave me hope Smile

I played the game long time ago, got stuck quite a few times and finally gave up. I don’t remember how and when, in fact I have very few memories of my playthrough, only that everything took place in some animal town and there were many quests there — I don’t think I ever left it. I now installed the game and played a bit. Looks very cute and atmospheric, better than most adventures I’ve played in recent years. The kid protagonist sounds a bit, well, childish, I don’t remember if he grew on me or not, but I actually like how there’s a modern town nearby this cozy village house surrounded by a forest with druid stones and all, creates a kind of magic aura even before anything magic happens.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2023-10-02

PM

My partner and I played this a few years back. I hope you all enjoy it! One thing I will say that greatly increased our enjoyment was turning off the English voice acting. My god, it was awful. Mostly the main character .

Pan

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top