• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia: The World Before

Total Posts: 1656

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I just purchased this for the ps4 and i love the world, it does have some serious pop ins however, and stutters alot going into conversations. Textures also take forever to load. This world charms me however, im not very far. Started in the past, went to the salt mines, now back in the past. It is late so i put the game down for the night.

I also bought an rpg called kingdom come: deliverance for 5 bucks if anyone wants to hear my thoughts on that game.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

Awesome to hear a new Syberia is being made! I bought the first three earlier this year, really loved the first one! I’m still attempting to get through the second one, those monks are refusing to give treatment to Hans and right now I’m unsure what to do Embarassed I’m sure I’ll figure it out eventually though, I should get back to playing it!

At this rate I may be ready for the 4th one in 2030 Grin

Total Posts: 463

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

crumpets - 26 October 2023 05:38 AM

Awesome to hear a new Syberia is being made!

This fourth game was released last year.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed:  Another Crab’s Treasure, Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum. Broken Sword: Reforged CE

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

Dale - 26 October 2023 05:47 AM
crumpets - 26 October 2023 05:38 AM

Awesome to hear a new Syberia is being made!

This fourth game was released last year.

Welp I’m quite behind the times. Thanks for letting me know, I must get a copy sometime Smile

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I played a bit more today and reunited with Oscar for a brief moment in the antique district. The game is so charming and the story is wonderful and I love the setting, but like all Syberia games, I wish there were some more real puzzles though. This world is riped for them but the basic ones that are here are not really used to great effect

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Played for another two and a half hours today the game says I’m about 6 hours in, the story, character, setting and mood are undeniably great to me, and at least there have been one or two semi real puzzles. That is the only thing I will knock the game for most likely in my final score is the lack of real puzzles. While syberia has never been on the horribly challenging side, I do wish there were a couple of more brain teasers. Especially considering they used a neat mechanic, with switching back and forth between the past and the present. between the movies and notes in the past to figure out a couple of very minor puzzles in the present, that could have greatly been expanded on and really drawn you into this universe. besides just having one semi good chest puzzle.

The thing that actually impresses me the most is how this is almost a soft reboot and all the better for it. The first two games heavily involved Kate Walker helping Hans and in this game Hans influence and his automatons are present but not at the Forefront but there’s enough stuff in there that really draws you into the universe. The obvious symbolism of of the brown coats and ww2 with the Nazi is very Tastefully done.

I’m still having some severe texture pop ins like a cut scene will load and half their face won’t be fully rendered and the game has actually crashed on me once, but I restarted the game in the PlayStation 4 and basically picked up right where I left off so not a huge issue but this game does need a serious patch.

If I had to give a rating so far it would be 8 out of 10. If the game had some more real puzzles, than this would easily almost be a 10 out of 10 for me. Because everything else in the game works on an emotional level, it’s just the gameplay is severely lacking and the characters do control like tanks. As of now it reminds me of Hobbs barrow in the fact that it barely meets my personal requirements of being an adventure game and not a walking simulator.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Played a bit more, I have 8 hours on my save file. I just completed the chapter where Kate put on a concert after fixing the orchestra in the park. My wife watched me play and she helped with some of the puzzles even though they were not overly challenging she thought they were great fun. The texture loading problem continues and it was really awful in this chapter where I’d be walking for a good 20 seconds before characters were completely rendered. On top of that there seems to be a film over some of the screen where it looks like the camera is smudged. While the Graphics are beautiful; they were not properly optimized for the PS4 at all. I would say if you have any other option than a PS4 copy, I would take it.

Is a testament on how much I do enjoy the characters and story that keeps me going though. And I will give credit that at least in this chapter the puzzles did ramp up a small degree.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

This Syberia was the best game I played in the last 2 years. Unfortunatly, we will not see another one because Benoit Sokall died. But I will pay anything to have another one.

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

I finally completed the second one! Thank goodness there were mammoths at Syberia, I was beginning to feel that I was potentially abusing a demented old man by taking him to die in the snow when he should be living out his remaining years being cared for. I really enjoyed the puzzle where you help a rodent around a pipe maze to get some red berries. Took me a while to figure out that the dead fish could be used as a ladder Laughing The puzzle with the radar dish was cool as well!

I have some criticisms, the camera angle changes are insane and disorienting at times, and it can be confusing as to what is an exit and what isn’t. I guess that is the trade off with the pre rendered background art, but I feel it could have been done a little better. Things felt slightly rushed towards the end too.

A fun game overall though!

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 29 October 2023 11:16 PM

The texture loading problem continues and it was really awful in this chapter where I’d be walking for a good 20 seconds before characters were completely rendered. On top of that there seems to be a film over some of the screen where it looks like the camera is smudged. While the Graphics are beautiful; they were not properly optimized for the PS4 at all. I would say if you have any other option than a PS4 copy, I would take it.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I recall that when this thread first started you didn’t think your PC was capable. That’s a shame since the inadequacies of the PS4 porting must be infuriating.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

rtrooney - 07 November 2023 06:37 PM
Jdawg445 - 29 October 2023 11:16 PM

The texture loading problem continues and it was really awful in this chapter where I’d be walking for a good 20 seconds before characters were completely rendered. On top of that there seems to be a film over some of the screen where it looks like the camera is smudged. While the Graphics are beautiful; they were not properly optimized for the PS4 at all. I would say if you have any other option than a PS4 copy, I would take it.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I recall that when this thread first started you didn’t think your PC was capable. That’s a shame since the inadequacies of the PS4 porting must be infuriating.

Yes, I think my computer might have a stroke trying to run this game, I might get a new one for Christmas. But the game is so wonderful that I really don’t care, I just got back from a cruise with my wife for our anniversary, we went to the Bahamas. I plan to pick up the game either this weekend or sometime early next week. I think I’m near the end of it. The only thing that’s keeping it being a nine or higher for me, is the lack of puzzles and the graphical hitches, but still a wonderful experience.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Finally got back to the game and got a lot accomplished, just went to visit the cemetery and now I’m back in the past trying to position different battle groups on a map. That’s where I stopped today. The game is still really great but almost wish each section was maybe a little bit longer I feel like there was so much jumping around from different character to different character in The Last 2 hours.

I’m actually relieved that Kate does not seem to be the granddaughter or great-granddaughter of dana roze.  I feel like I’m reaching the conclusion of the game pretty soon. I’ve really enjoyed my time with it even though it barely meets my standards of Adventure game because it’s just not quite enough puzzles for me. There was two different lock combination puzzles and both the answers were within 2 ft of the lock, I just wish it was a little more cryptic and challenging than that.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

One question I had in the cemetery though was, is the cemetery supposed to be a maze puzzle?? because the way they set it up as in you can use your companion oscar to help out by looking at a map. the area is so small that it’s not really a maze but I feel like that’s what the devs were intended it to be viewed as.

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 16 November 2023 10:26 AM

One question I had in the cemetery though was, is the cemetery supposed to be a maze puzzle?? because the way they set it up as in you can use your companion oscar to help out by looking at a map. the area is so small that it’s not really a maze but I feel like that’s what the devs were intended it to be viewed as.

I don’t really care whether the devs considered it a maze. I, as did all of the players who participated in the quasi-playthrough, thought it to be one.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

rtrooney - 19 November 2023 01:14 PM
Jdawg445 - 16 November 2023 10:26 AM

I don’t really care whether the devs considered it a maze. I, as did all of the players who participated in the quasi-playthrough, thought it to be one.

Well it wasn’t to me simply because you can get through the whole Cemetery in like five to seven screens

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top