• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Pyoro-2

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gabriel Knight 4 and Gray Matter 2 teased by Robert Holmes

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2008-05-07

PM

Robert Holmes (composer of the Gabriel Knight series) has launched a crowdfunder with Jane Jensen for a new album of music set in the world of Gabriel Knight called Son of Sequel, which is a follow-up to last year’s album Sequel.

In addition to a stretch goal of promising to make Gray Matter 2 (OK, that’s likely a bit of a half joke, since it’s a one million dollar stretch goal attached to a $30K project), Robert says he intends to build a community around this new Gabriel Knight style music to “gather the tribe” and push for a fourth Gabriel Knight game to happen with Jane writing, if the Activision/Microsoft merger goes through!

He also has a stretch goal to fully rescore the GK2 Wagner opera. Laughing

creator of TV series & FMV game Fogtown, a loving homage to Sherlock Holmes (made with puppets)

Joined 2008-05-07

PM

Robert’s got several videos on YouTube talking in more detail about the project, but this one specifically goes into the GK4 hopes.

creator of TV series & FMV game Fogtown, a loving homage to Sherlock Holmes (made with puppets)

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I prefer a GK3 remake,doubt that Jensen will ever write a better script than that.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

seanparkerfilms - 23 March 2023 06:06 AM

In addition to a stretch goal of promising to make Gray Matter 2 (OK, that’s likely a bit of a half joke, since it’s a one million dollar stretch goal attached to a $30K project)

Some people took the promise of the second game seriously when Pinkerton Road campaign was running, they are still waiting for that game.

“The first game we are creating is Moebius!  See additional details below.  The second game, called “Mystery Game X” is still TBA, but it will be produced as part of this offering.”

Technically speaking the backers got a key for Gabriel Knight remake, but that really wasn’t what they wanted. Gray Matter 2 back then would have been a better thing to offer.

Joined 2008-05-07

PM

GateKeeper - 23 March 2023 08:51 AM

Technically speaking the backers got a key for Gabriel Knight remake, but that really wasn’t what they wanted. Gray Matter 2 back then would have been a better thing to offer.

For sure, and I agree with that in part, but… they did offer Gray Matter 2 back then. And the fans rejected it.

During that time, Jane & Robert did a big poll for their backers to find out what they should make for game #2. And Gray Matter 2 was one of the choices (as well as some pastoral-setting English drama, IIRC), but the people picked “Mystery Game X” in droves.

I too remember preferring MGX, because I hadn’t even played Gray Matter yet at the time, and hoped MGX was their stealthy way of teasing GK4 without being able to outright say it was gonna be GK4. Then of course it ended up being a GK1 remake and lots of us were pretty underwhelmed.

So while I agree with you that we should have gotten Gray Matter 2 instead of the GK remake… well, if the people truly wanted Gray Matter 2, then they should have voted for it. Jane and Robert just went with the will of the people, as best they could.

I gather from what’s been said in several interviews over the last decade, Jane & Robert have learned a lot of lessons from that old Kickstarter.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I have to admit, that having just tried to replay Gray Matter and having quite a bit of dislike towards Moebius, I find myself having very little interest in this notion. Gray Matter is quite boring as a game and a story and as Moebius was what it was, I’d need more than just “we might do it, you guys”

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Gabe - 23 March 2023 07:20 AM

I prefer a GK3 remake,doubt that Jensen will ever write a better script than that.

Why remake a game that is already perfect?:)

No, I get it. It would be interesting, even though GK3 is a top 5 game for me as is. Part of it’s charm is the graphics and interface imnsho.

tomimt - 23 March 2023 12:08 PM

I have to admit, that having just tried to replay Gray Matter and having quite a bit of dislike towards Moebius, I find myself having very little interest in this notion. Gray Matter is quite boring as a game and a story and as Moebius was what it was, I’d need more than just “we might do it, you guys”

I feel exactly the same way, apart from possibly liking Gray Matter a bit better than you.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Veovis - 24 March 2023 08:37 AM

No, I get it. It would be interesting, even though GK3 is a top 5 game for me as is. Part of it’s charm is the graphics and interface imnsho.

I think some people just would like to have a remake to have it in greater resolutions, but that can be partially done by using GK3 Launcher.
https://gk3tools.sourceforge.io/launcher.php

Or by changing some registry entries manually, as described here:
https://www.wsgf.org/dr/gabriel-knight-3-blood-sacred-blood-damned

Of course that does nothing to the actual 3D models and such, so if those aren’t to someone’s liking, that can’t be easily fixed.

If something else is the problem, then there may or may not be some hope for improvement in the G-Engine project, which is an open source rewrite of the game engine, which allows someone to create alternative controls and other such things. I’m not sure if anyone is actually doing that. But that’s a re-implementation, at least, if not a real remake.
https://github.com/kromenak/gengine

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

GateKeeper - 24 March 2023 09:05 AM

Of course that does nothing to the actual 3D models and such, so if those aren’t to someone’s liking, that can’t be easily fixed.

I think that’s exactly why most people who liked GK3 think a remake would make it better.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

GK3 remake in a modern high-fidelity 3D could be pretty sweet. While I have some affinity for how the game looks, it never did look amazing, not even when it originally came out.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Well, I certainly don’t want a GK3 remake, to me it’s more-or-less a perfect game that could be only worsen by modern developers. The GK1 remake was more than enough. Even if they hire a more professional team, they would need tons of money to make an actual remake, not a demake. I imagine they will use the Unreal engine where everyone will look like made of plastic, like in this new Laura Bow game, add a fixed camera, cut out the cat puzzle as well as everything that makes you think, remove the timed/alternative events to make the game linear, rewrite all Gabriel’s lines to appeal to modern oversensitive players — which will also mean new voice actors and no Tim Curry again. No, thank you.

As for Gabriel Knight 4, I’m also not sure it would be such a good idea, for reasons mentioned above and, well, because Gabriel’s time has gone I think. I’d love to see the game which was originally intended to be made inside Sierra walls, but I doubt anyone will be able to pull it off today. Gray Matter 2 — now that might work. I’m not a big fan of the first game, but it’s more suitable for a modern sequel I think, there’s enough room for improvisation with the story/characters, and it could be finished on a tight budget.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

GateKeeper - 24 March 2023 09:05 AM
Veovis - 24 March 2023 08:37 AM

I think some people just would like to have a remake to have it in greater resolutions, but that can be partially done by using GK3 Launcher.
https://gk3tools.sourceforge.io/launcher.php

Or by changing some registry entries manually, as described here:
https://www.wsgf.org/dr/gabriel-knight-3-blood-sacred-blood-damned

If something else is the problem, then there may or may not be some hope for improvement in the G-Engine project, which is an open source rewrite of the game engine, which allows someone to create alternative controls and other such things. I’m not sure if anyone is actually doing that. But that’s a re-implementation, at least, if not a real remake.
https://github.com/kromenak/gengine

Last time I replayed GK3 I used dgVoodoo 2. Worked great, but I don’t remember if I played it in widescreen or in a higher resolution than 1024x768. I think the problem with going higher makes the Sidney parts too small. Not rendered in 3D like the rest of the game.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’d love to see a remake too. For me it was an excellent game which I found difficult to play 1st time around (but did finish) due to the interface giving me motion sickness but gave up on a replay because of it

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

what if all these people just teamed up to build a time machine?

Joined 2008-05-07

PM

Just updating the thread to mention some news: Jane Jensen is writing a new Gabriel Knight short story (her first since 2015), and releasing it to all backers of the Son of Sequel campaign.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Please tell Robert and Jane that I’m holding off funding their short stories and albums of music, but I’ll happily open my bank account to them should they team together for a new game.

(not that it would do them much good with the sorry state of my finances, but it’s the thought that counts, right?)

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top